• 2 Post By mattblack_lude
  • 1 Post By mattblack_lude
  • 1 Post By mattblack_lude

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 20th May 2018, 22:39 Thread Starter

Garage
Progress thread: Black Civic 1.8 ES 5dr

Hi everyone,

I figured i'd start a progress thread on the car as although I don't want to do loads to it, I easily forget what i've done and this offers a good way of tracking the progress.

So, i've owned the car for around 5-6 weeks now after seeing it advertised locally on Facebook. Lots of talking to the previous owners (lovely people) identified that it was out of MOT and required a few jobs doing.

Thankfully, although it was a risk to take, the MOT requirements weren't all that bad and a bit of expense meant that I had it on the road within a week.

So it's life started with a new battery, among other things - plus a very good wash. It hasn't been particularly cared for in terms of the paintwork, so there was a lot of caked on brake dust to deal with. I'm still to get a full detail done.

Picture attached is the first image I ever saw of it - looking a little sorry for herself.

*EDIT - can't post pictures yet due to restrictions; image coming soon*
Farqui likes this.

Last edited by mattblack_lude; 20th May 2018 at 22:55.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 20th May 2018, 22:44 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
So after its first wash, it did show that the bodywork infact is pretty tidy. Not perfect, but pretty darn good.

I'm confident to say that the previous owners probably have never polished it in the 4/5 years they owned it, so it's well overdue some decent paint correction. I'm terrible at this, so i'm hoping to find someone who's a keen hobbyist (anyone in Norfolk/Suffolk fancy having a go?!)

Not looking very clean now, but you get the idea. All panels are pretty straight and you can tell it's a good base to start with. It just needs some love and attention to get it shiny.

First 'mods' were new mats as from ebay (11 delivered - fit fantastic) and a new pollen filter as this was horrendously filthy. Small changes, but nice touches.

The next important thing to do was replaced the starter motor, which had a tendency of screeching everytime on a coold start. It obviously wasn't retracting as it should, so a new one from Eurocarparts (RTX Starter) during their 20% discount weekend meant it was just over 100. I can live with that if it means I never have to hear that noise again
Farqui likes this.

Last edited by mattblack_lude; 20th May 2018 at 22:58.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 20th May 2018, 22:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Talking

And that brings us up to today, where the real fun is starting.

I've had a hankering for some better shoes to go on the old girl, as although the standard 16's were in great condition, they do look a bit plain.
As i'm not one for modding, I fancied some OEM wheels off another model - that being the 17's off the better spec Civics.

After doing some searching, a car came up locally that was being broken for parts - as there it was with a nice set of 17's on.

Wheels collected (required 2 tyres) and were pretty dirty, but otherwise not too bad. Two wheels are in pretty good shape, but the others have clearly spent their life on the front, taking all the kerb impacts. These will bug me in the long run (i'm a bit OCD) but for now, they'll do just fine.

A deep clean with alloy wheels cleaner and lots of elbow grease got all 4 wheels looking as good as they could. However, nice clean wheels against rusty old brakes never looks favourable; so I spent the best part of a day sanding down and painted up the calipers and paintable areas in smooth silver.

I'm really glad I did this, as it completely transforms it and compliments the wheels perfectly. Still waiting on a tyre for the final alloys, but we're 3/4 of the way there
Farqui and FergyCiv like this.

Last edited by mattblack_lude; 20th May 2018 at 23:13.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 20th May 2018, 22:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
This is the picture that makes me go 'Yes, that was the right decision' on those wheels. Really like how good they look.

Anyway, to help me remember what I need to do, here's my current wish list of jobs:
  • Paintwork clean up
    Air con re gass
    Sort handbrake cover (missing top rubber part)
    Induction kit (maybe...)
    Wind deflectors (Heko)

It's not a massive list, but I tend to add ideas very quickly. The list WILL get bigger and the bank balance WILL get smaller.
Farqui and DNDimitrov like this.

Last edited by mattblack_lude; 20th May 2018 at 23:18.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 20th May 2018, 23:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
A better comparison:

peniole and Farqui like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 21st May 2018, 00:15
Supporter

Car: 2009 Type R GT Silver
Those wheels make a huge difference. Keep up the good work.

What mats did you go for? Any chance of a link as im after a set for a 5 door.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 21st May 2018, 18:42 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Yes absolutely - this is the link on ebay: https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Civic...YAAOSw0H9Z3zF3
anfield786 likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2018, 21:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
A couple of small updates;

The car went in for a re-gas of the air con today, which went fine on testing (held pressure) so I now have working air con. The first car ive owned that the air con has worked on! Small things, small things...

I've ordered some HEKO wind deflectors too from J&J, so hopefully these will be with me in a few days. Looking forward to this small, relatively cost effective mod. Pictures will come once fitted.

Also ordered a 'type r' style gear knob and a fabric gear gaitor to improve the interior a little.
Farqui likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 24th May 2018, 08:49

Garage
Well done and congrats! The 8G is a stunner to look at with a little TLC.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 24th May 2018, 09:15
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift 5DR
If you want an induction roar remove the rubber boot between the top air box and the resonator below it. Its free and does the sane job
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 24th May 2018, 22:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningslow View Post
If you want an induction roar remove the rubber boot between the top air box and the resonator below it. Its free and does the sane job <a href="http://www.civinfo.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" ></a>
Oh really? I might have to try this out then as if rather keep the standard look inside the engine bay, but it's missing that little extra noise. Thanks!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Gallery (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page