• 1 Post By IonicOwl
  • 1 Post By IonicOwl
  • 2 Post By IonicOwl

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 20th August 2019, 21:24 Thread Starter

Car: 2011, 1.8, 5-door, Silver
Garage
My 5-Door 1.8 ES Daily - OEM mods

Hey everyone. Some of you were asking for photos of my new Civic in my other thread, where I was asking for some advice on things to look for. Well I finally managed to snap a few so here it is.

It's a 5-door 1.8 ES in silver on a 61 plate, one of the last 8Gs to come off the line I'm guessing. It already has most of the mod-cons I want, including dual-zone climate control and glass roof, 17" wheels and airbags everywhere.

I bought the car because the family needed something relatively modern and reliable. I usually drive around in 20+ year-old rusty Nissans that need a ton of welding, so I'm selling the Primera daily and keeping my Micra as a project (1.8T 20V swap). This is the most modern car I've ever owned, and definitely the least rattly.

Because it's supposed to be the sensible daily, I'll be keeping mods to an absolute minimum. Basically I can only do it as long as it doesn't take the car off the road, or take more than a couple of hours. This means mechanically speaking, I'll only be maintaining it. Bodywork needs some attention. There are a few scratches and dents that I can hopefully sort out over the coming months.

I'd have liked to have bought a Type-R, but I was more attracted to the lower cost of running the 1.8, plus it's a 5-door - a must. I like the Type-R look, so I may end up swapping bumpers over to make a 5-door Type-S sort of thing. Aside from that, window tints, car audio and some lighting mods are all I'm looking at doing in the short term. I'll be using this thread to document my progress.
Farqui likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st August 2019, 09:54
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
I have got lower front bumper and n/s side skirt from FN2 in the for sale section if you want to go down that TypeR look route.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st August 2019, 20:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
I have got lower front bumper and n/s side skirt from FN2 in the for sale section if you want to go down that TypeR look route.

I'll have a look. I can't do anything on the trading section at the moment anyway. I think it's because my post count it too low. Missed out on a complete double DIN set because of that
From what I've read on here so far, I'd have to have the complete set of skirts, arches and splitters before I can fit the kit right? I can't just fit a front splitter and do the rest as I gather parts?

Last edited by IonicOwl; 21st August 2019 at 20:18.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st August 2019, 21:50
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,144 Times in 3,840 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
@IonicOwl , we can't be having that can we... profile tweaked, so you should be sorted now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2019, 00:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
@IonicOwl , we can't be having that can we... profile tweaked, so you should be sorted now.

Thank you, kind sir.
Farqui likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2019, 10:06
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicOwl View Post
I'll have a look. I can't do anything on the trading section at the moment anyway. I think it's because my post count it too low. Missed out on a complete double DIN set because of that
From what I've read on here so far, I'd have to have the complete set of skirts, arches and splitters before I can fit the kit right? I can't just fit a front splitter and do the rest as I gather parts?
That's right you need the whole set.
The typeR/S parts flare out so will not fit to normal parts.

some parts are getting discontinued so dealers will start pushing up the price to capitalise on it.
plenty of used parts to be found from breakers and owners but remember to factor in the price of a respray since they might be wrong colour or have a bit of visible damage
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2019, 22:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
That's right you need the whole set.
The typeR/S parts flare out so will not fit to normal parts.

some parts are getting discontinued so dealers will start pushing up the price to capitalise on it.
plenty of used parts to be found from breakers and owners but remember to factor in the price of a respray since they might be wrong colour or have a bit of visible damage
Yeah that was the plan. I have no problem respraying parts myself, I can get a pretty decent result from a DIY job with the right paint. I've had a pretty expensive month so far, so I'll start gathering parts bit by bit starting next month I think.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 26th August 2019, 15:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
It's taken me a few days to update this, but I got my new dashcam fitted (sort of)
It's a front and rear camera set, so I've had to have half of the interior out to route the rear data cable to the rear camera. Luckily I have a friend that strips and refits cars for accident repair as a job, so he took lead on most of this.

Starting at the back, we needed to remove a fair amount of the boot lid trim in order to gain access to the cable boot for feeding the cable through. The cable was shielded so fairly thick, but the USB connector itself was the biggest problem, barely fit with the help of some washing up liquid and a stick to push it through.

Headliner dropped down to facilitate better access for routing the cable neatly.

Carved out a small hole in the upper boot lid trim to allow the cable to pass through.

And most of the work is done. I'm not happy with Aukeys decision to use grey adhesive pads on an otherwise black dash cam, but I can change that later.

I still need to route the power cable to the fuse box. At the moment it is running along the top of the nearside sun visor and behind the grab handle, then down the B pillar and into the centre console armrest where the 12V socket is. We ran out of time to install this properly, so will get on that soon.
deni.babe and M8TJT like this.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Gallery (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page