S-Bronze My Civic - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2007, 11:32 Thread Starter

My Civic

Picked up my type s gt yesterday, have put on the work decals so that she can start work later on today

Hope my learners like it!!

S1030406.jpg

S1030402.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2007, 11:49

Bronze Pearl is really growing on me. Looks great. Like black, but different too.

Don't like the decals though
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2007, 11:51

Way too good for learners!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2007, 12:02

thats one amazing spoiler you have on the back there!!!

I never had a car as nice as a civic (and not a type S!) to learn to drive in, the lucky youth of today..... *goes off moaning about changing times*
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2007, 12:05
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
How do learners get on reversing with the lack of rear visibility ?

Doesn't worry me because I use the mirrors and parking sensors.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2007, 12:13 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Will find out how they get on today, to me it's actually benefical for the reverse around a corner as the can follow the kerb round from the side window to the lower part of the rear screen.

I can't see it being a problem really, in fact I quiet liked the way it blocked car lights last night.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2007, 12:16
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Instructor View Post
Will find out how they get on today, to me it's actually benefical for the reverse around a corner as the can follow the kerb round from the side window to the lower part of the rear screen.

I can't see it being a problem really, in fact I quiet liked the way it blocked car lights last night.
Agree, and the plus is that it give a good reason to the learning driver to use side mirors !

In fact I found that the civic is very easy to Park even without the rear sensor...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2007, 13:23

Car: 2007 2.2 CTDI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by l-noel View Post
Agree, and the plus is that it give a good reason to the learning driver to use side mirors !

In fact I found that the civic is very easy to Park even without the rear sensor...
But how will they feel when they have passed and have to drive round in a vastly inferior non-rocketship old banger?!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2007, 15:22
Wine and cooking !

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewuk View Post
But how will they feel when they have passed and have to drive round in a vastly inferior non-rocketship old banger?!
Like a normal driver without this big grin on their face and I imagine hoping to become one of these driver with grin
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2007, 10:00 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Your so right about the grin!!!!

Can't wait to go to work today, it's so much fun at the moment.

As to how there going to get on when they leave me and have to get into a old banger.....................there going to get a real shock, the fbw gas pedal is so smooth that they are going to hate the old fashion cable type!!!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 26th March 2007, 23:59
LNT

Do you find that people choose your SOM because of the car? Reason I ask is that there are a few round here with Mini's and they're very popular because they're driving a Mini. This, however, I think could be even more popular.

BTW what's the script now with reversing round a corner using the electric nearside mirror? Is it allowed? On some vehicles the mirror dips automatically when you select reverse...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 27th March 2007, 00:11
CID
Supporter

I look forward to seeing you regularly along Portsdown Hill - I live 50yds from where you took your photo!
It seems your biggest problem will be convincing those learners to ease up with the right foot and wiping that permanent grin off their faces!!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 27th March 2007, 02:25
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
I'm amazed you're actually letting learners near it!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 27th March 2007, 09:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

LNT, using the near side mirror is fine as long as it is not used excessively and all round observation is still done.

CID, I will on top of the hill quiet a lot so know doubt you will see me about, as for keeping there foot down they are learning to move through the gears quiet rapidly.

CZ, It's such a better place to be all day, so glad i did not even bother looking at the astra sport now
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 27th March 2007, 10:34
Wine and cooking !

I've seen here in France some fancy learner school car. BMW 120D, 206CC, Renault Espace, Mini Cooper but most of them are Clio, 206/207 or Modus.

Instructor, just a question for my personnal information. How the system is working in the UK ?

In France it's a two or three stage exam.
1 Road (Highway?) code exam : Theorical exam in 40 question about how to behave on road (Panel comprehension, are you allowed to overtake etc...) You could pass this exam at 16 year old. If you succeed, you are allowed to the accompanied driving possibility (You can drive a car if you are accompanied by a refferent driver, usualy the parents) during two years. You have to drive a certain numbers of Km during the year and keep a record of it. More and more young learn that way (better results at the final exam, less accident etc...) but the majority of them wait to be 18 to pass both exam together.
2. Driving Examination : After having learn the rules, you learn to drive in town, on motorway, how to park, etc.
You have to go to a driving school and spend a minimum of 20H of driving lessons. Then you go (with your instructor and with the car you've learned in) in a exam center and spend minimum half an hour to drive with the examinator.

Results : The average cost of a driving licence in France is about 2 000 €
The success rate at the driving exam is between 45 and 52%
The average cost of one driving lessons (55 mn if you are lucky) is about 37 to 40 €
And as a final results, the young drivers are the main figures in road casualty...
A new phenomena appear to is the non licensed drivers (some statistic give a figure over one million driver without driving license) Because of the cost of the driving license and/or of the lost of all the points (12 points but 6 for beginner during the first three years) and the removal of the driving license.

Sorry for the long off topic post but I'm very interested by the different rules/way to manage problems we have in Europe...

Last edited by l-noel; 27th March 2007 at 11:10. Reason: wrong spelling ! sorry !!!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 27th March 2007, 10:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I-noel,

It's similar yet differenct

They have too pass a theory test then a driving exam lasting 45mins they can't do this till they are 17.

There is no set amount of time they need to spend driving before they sit there driving exam.

Your pass rate is very similar to the uk, so is you accident rate for the under 25 (still the largest single course of death in the under 25's)

It will not be long before we adopt a similar approach to you and have a set amount of compulsory lessons before they can take the test. I also hear that we might be abandoning all the manoreuvers on test (it will be left to us to make sure they can do it before they go to the test) this will give the examiners more time to look at general driving.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 27th March 2007, 12:22
Wine and cooking !

Last figures for Rhône alpes (the area where I'm Living) give a rate of 186 casuality in the 15-24 age rate per million inhabitants for an average rate of 79 casuality per million inhabitant all age class integrated.

Last reform of the driving exam in 2005 the exam time went from 20 mn to 30 mn but a lot of exam center carry on with the 20 mn exam due to the lack of inspector.
They also change the Road code Exam to make it a more in situation (but still theorical) exam. But you have to be very good in gramar cause the answer depend on the way how the question is asked (Can I, Must I, Shall I type of question)

Some insurance company put special premium for young driver who have done a Safety road stage (with special rate for them) where they lurn how to do an Emergency brake and other special manoeuver to avoid accident.

But this is not mandatory (as the eyesight exam is not mandatory also) because of the lack of infrastructure and because there is no real Safety lobby here.

We have reduced the casualty rate from above 8 500 killed/Year down to 5 000 in less than five Years just by implementing the existing law (more speed cameras control, Fixed Speed cameras on Motorway on main roads)
A little bit more alcohol control during the week end etc... A lot of peoples are thinking it's for making money, and not safety !
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 28th March 2007, 14:21

Yup passing your driving license is much more complicated now that when I passed it: my girlfriend recently got her license (less than a year) and I was amazed at how unforgiving the instructors were. I had here drive and helped her get confidence before the exam.
All these reforms are good and they effectively tend to reduce the number of accidents for young drivers.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 28th March 2007, 20:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The correct level of confidence is my top priority when i teach
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 28th March 2007, 22:59

Now if you were a new learner driver looking in the yellow pages for an instructor, do you choose the guy with a Civic Type S or the guy with a Nissan Micra?

Great choice of car but gawd I wouldn't half be pooping myself with a complete newbie behind the wheel.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Gallery (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page