Motorsport Rebel Euro Tour 2011 - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 05:19 Thread Starter

Rebel Euro Tour 2011

Well July a few of us from Rebel Motorsport Club did out Euro Tour. We had been planning this for nearly a year but it was so surprising just how quickly it came around.

We all met up at a B&B near Dover and met up with Claire (a fellow CTRO member) who joined us for a lovely evening meal (thanks for meeting up Claire was great to meet you and hope to catch up with you again soon)

DAY 1

For some reason we got split up at Dover and 2 cars ended up going on the early ferry and then 2 cars ended up going on the later ferry

Finally we all met up again

It was mostly motorway on the first day but we saw some odd things along the way

when it was raining very hard... and boy did we have some heavy rain!

At last we made it to camp

Sadly we were one car down as Matts car was now out of action and had to be towed the garage due to an RTC just mins away from the Campsite no one was hurt thankfully and all details of parties exchanged... In true Rebel style we never see a member down so all language was shared out and now everyone had a passenger everyone would continue with the tour and Matt was a complete star as he didnít let someone driving into him get him down and spoil the trip.. Good on you Matt..

After watching the AA take Matts car and set up camp we all decided it was time for a good meal and a few beers before bed... now you would think the beers would have helped us sleep but there was one hell of a thunder storm during the night so the first night we all found out just how good our tents were!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 05:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

DAY 2

We loaded up the cars and made our usual morning pre checks

and was soon on our way... the weather was a mix of heavy rain to lovely sunshine..

We headed off towards the mountains

And then towards Verdon Gorge which was our next campsite for the next couple of days.. boy was it hot hot hot

Finally we made camp and set the tents up before having a lovely meal the camp site and pretty much drinking the place dry

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 05:22 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

DAY 3

Day 3 was a rest day to do whatever you wanted and a good chance to have a look around the Verdon Gorge. The weather was lovely and the sun was out... so we headed off to see the sea...

In the morning I noticed my air bag light was on and my air conditioning decided to pack up along with the heaters which wasnt good on a very hot day but everything else was running fine so we headed off..

On the way there we had a lovely smell of fresh lavender

Sadly at this point my engine management light came on so I thought it was best I went back to the campsite to see what the problem was so I called the others on the radio to let them know I was going back and they headed on around the Gorge.

It was a lovely day for a dip

Meanwhile back at camp Grumpy was checking fuses under the bonnet and dash but nothing was showing up... I decided that I would just carry on see what happens what the hell I have AA cover.. so I drove Grumpy to the shops to get some bread and jam so he could finally use his camper toaster on the way back the sat nav took us another way and we came across some lovely sunflowers so I just had to stop and take a couple of photos..

Later I took a little blast around the area and stopped off at a lovely little village for a wonder around

more beer (thankfully the campsite stocked up) and a lovely evening camp fire... well that was until some woman started shouting at Alex "this is forbidden in this province!!! " amougst other things

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 05:23 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

DAY 4

It was an early start as we had a long drive over some stunning mountain roads ahead of us to get to our next campsite in Switzerland..
The roads were lovely and quiet in the morning

Alex made sure he had is munchies on him

and we saw lots of signs for the Tour de France..
It was here where my tour came to a holt... thoughout the day my engine management light was on and off and I soon found out why while slowly climbing this mountain (we were stuck behind a campervan) the fan wasnt kicking in and the car overheated

Half way up this mountain the views were stunning the weather was lovely and all we could do was sit and wait for hte engine to cool down.. it was time to call the AA and find out what this problem was..
It was now 11am and the AA said they wouldnt be out until later afternoon. I said for the others to go ahead they had a long day ahead of them and why should this spoil there drive. Matt agreed to stay with me as he didnt have a car after day 1 so I wasnt alone... we waved good bye and heard the sound of Vtec over the mountains as they disappeared off...

AA called to say they were arranging for a British AA van to be with us however it would be the following day (unless we didnt want to wait, they would get a local) well opted to stay and wait for the British AA man at least we would be able to understand him/her and we find a lovely local hotel on the mountain side of this little ski village..

I got the car to the hotel just 2 mins down the road and I wont lie I was looking forward to a lovely relaxing hot bath and confy bed for the night and Matt and I didnt waste time texting the others how lovely it was in the hotel with our luxuries and we were chilling out with a few beers overlooking the mountain views... and their drink measurements were very good too

Meanwhile the group continued on route only to find now Tom was also having overheating problems so much so Tom & Alex decided it was safer to take a more direct route to camp, leaving Ian & Malc to continue the route..

I had a text of Tom to say everyone had arrived safely at camp and the campsite was stunning, so much so they decided to stay an extra night in the hope we could meet up with them (this wouldnt mess with our route as the next campsite we would have been staying for 2 nights)

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 05:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

DAY 5

Rebel Camp chilled out and enjoyed the campsite stunning views in the Swiss mountains (all be the weather wasnt that brilliant and they had thunder storms etc)

Tom & Alex had gone out to see what was about leaving Ian and Malc chilling out eating French bread and jam..

Meanwhile back at Hotel de France.. Matt and I had a late breakfast followed by a little stroll over the mountains and came across some of the locals

and then sitting out in the middle of nowhere was this little fellow

AA man called and didnt realise just how remote we were so said he wouldnt be with us until around 5ish looks like another night at the hotel could on the cards.. Thankfully the hotel was wonderful and let us have full use of the room while we waited for the AA man and we also had wifi use too... as the sun was out we had freshly baked french bread and jam from the local store and wondered around to see what was about

The AA man arrived just in time to for a massive storm and the heavens opened... Thankfully he was in a great mood after having a great drive over to us saying how lovely this place was the roads are brillaint so much so he is coming back but with his motorbike next time

He spent a good hour looking over the car and ended up ringing up his head office for wiring info etc.. turned out the fault was a fuse after all the electric wing mirror fuse under the steering colum so he gave me a few extra fuses and now we had air con and the fan was working yippieeee...

It was now 6pm and too late to get to the next campsite so the AA paid for us to stay another night and Matt and I decided we would get up early the next morning and drive to the next campsite to meet up with the others... it would be a long day a good 16 hours drive but we had be
sitting around all day and wanted to see and drive some fantastic roads..

We had a report back from Tom and Alex they had, had such bad weather that there was a landslide causing the bridge to callapes on the only road in and out of the campsite... Ian and Malc were trapped in the campsite with french bread and jam, Tom and Alex were trapped outside unable to get back into the campsite... they were told it would be aroune 10pm before the road would be opened..

It didnt take long for the workers to get straight to the job

At least they all had some stunning views to admare while waiting

Soon Matt and I had a text from Tom to say the bridge was fixed and they were back at camp and they all loved the campsite so much they all wanted to stay another night there and then head direct to the German campsite... As Matt and I had been stuck for nearly 2 days unable to drive we wanted to see some roads etc and it was unknown what lay ahead so we said we would meet them in Germany as we wanted to do some mountain roads..
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 05:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

DAY 6

It was a very early start for Matt and I we were on the road at 530 am just as it was getting light the roads were dead which made for a nice drive

With just a road map and a sat nav that didnt like any of the road names, numbers or places with gave it wasnt going to be an easy task but Matt was a brilliant navigator..

We ended up getting diverted by the police as there was some army show on I wasnt going to argue that I wanted to go up the closed road when the Polcie officer had a gun and there was an army tank pointing right at my car!!

We did a loop around but ended up finding this stunning road which was clearly very popular with the locals too as we saw a few car clubs out on a group drive...

Soon we were back on route again

It was hairpin after hairpin of brilliant roads with stunning views (once we got past the fog!)

Overall Matt and I did a good 16 hour drive and didnt make it to the next camp before it was dark... it was late raining and we were too tired to bother with camping at this point so we found a lovely little hotel in a skiing village... Matt's managed to get the rooms at a discounted price although I do believe they ripped this money back off us when we ordered some drinks at the bar!!! needless to say we didnt stay for more then one drink and we headed straight off bed it was going to be another earlish start.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 05:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

DAY 7

Matt and I had another early morning start as we headed off towards the famous Stelvio Pass... but before Stelvio we had a few other mountain passes to overcome..

Rebel Ted and Matt sorting out the route

As we climbed it got very foggy

I parked in the famous car park where the Top Gear team parked but it was nothing like it was on my last visit in 2007

The view was amazing as we looked down and the hairpin zig zags lol

As we headed down the hairpin after hairpin the fog began to clear

and finally it was the last hairpin

Now it would be pretty much a straight drive back to the next campsite in Germany where we would finally meet up with everyone at long last...

Only it would appear we would face more problems on the way... in that I had killed a set of tyres good and proper and needed to get some new ones... thankfully I was carrying Matts spare tyre so we were able to use this and the space saver to get us to a tyre garage and Matt managed to find a little tyre place out in the middle of appeared to be nowhere so we were back on the road with two very expensive but very nice new tyres

It was so good to meet up with the other back at camp by which time Tom and Alex had got in the beers and chilled out at the camp site and caught up with the all the exciting news..

Next stop was the Nurburgring where we were hoping to meet up with Murray's Rebel group..

Last edited by Salem; 10th August 2011 at 05:55.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 05:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

As always thank you for looking and if you want to see these or more photos of this and other adventure os Rebel please visit our Gallery
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 06:05
Supporter

Car: 2007 2.2 5 door, Silver
Awesome.........Thats the only word for it
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 07:50
Supporter

Car: CW Civic FD2
Great pics.... Couldnt believe the luck you guys had or didnt have but glad you all had a great time.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 08:28
Supporter

Car: 2007 CTR Alabaster Silver
Fantastic pics, would love to do something like this
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 08:49
Supporter

Car: 09 Suzuki Swift Sport white
Thanked 2,783 Times in 2,531 Posts
Enjoyed reading that and some great pics!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 16:37
aka Colin

Car: 2008 CTR GT, Black
Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,388 Posts
fantastic pics and scenery matey.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 22:43
The Guru

Car: 57 DPB CTR GT
That does look like it was a great trip
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10th August 2011, 22:50
J_H
i-VTEC - DO YOU?

Car: 2009 CTR, Black
That looks amazing, although some bad luck but well done for taking it all in your stride. Am hoping to be able to do something similar in time.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th August 2011, 01:07
Dr. Evil

Some of those pics were nothing short of stunning. Sounds like you had an enjoyable and eventful trip! I'd love to do something like this when I have more time.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th August 2011, 02:31
Supporter

What an epic road trip... and great photography!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th August 2011, 09:18
Give it some beans!! :)

Wow thats one hell of a road trip!! Some great pics there to
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th August 2011, 18:13 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the feedback folks... to be far it was a very eventful trip and although some say bad luck I also think it could have been so much worse as no one was hurt.. I think the worse part of the trip was Matts accident but thankfully car is back in the UK and will be back on the road soon so thats great news and Matt was cool about it and he said it didnt wreck his holiday..

My car issues well Matt and I made the best of it and enjoyed two nights in a lovely little hotel which was all paid for by the AA so bonus there lol as for the tyres well how many people can say they killed a set of tyres on the alps lol and again that could have been alot worse and in some ways it made the trip just that little bit more exciting lol cant have been that bad one of the lads is going back with his girlfriend in September and I would certainly go back again (but I'll be taking some spare tyres with me this time lol)

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Gallery (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page