Rob's Civic Tourer project - Civinfo
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 28th September 2018, 10:22 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2015 Civic Tourer D-TEC SR
Garage
Rob's Civic Tourer project

Just got my car at the weekend, 1.6 I-DTEC SR tourer pearl white.

After many years of company cars i've opted out and bought my own vehicle. Co car tax is just so much these days it really isn't the perk it used to be. Need the space of the tourer for kids / dogs etc and i need something fuel efficient as i have a 100+ mile round trip most days.

I'm a serial car modifier, pretty much everything i've had has had wheels/ suspension tweaks. Mostly in the past that's been around performance, but for this car the goal is something that's going to minimise my fuel bill (hardly exciting i know but needs must).

The car:
2015 Tourer SR spec, so heated leather, factory nav (honda connect?), dual climate, parking sensors all round, adjustable rear dampers, reverse camera, elect lumbar and bolsters, rear tinted windows.

I believe there was only one spec level higher than this in 2015 (EX plus?) which got led lights and keyless go - not bothered about the keyless but i would have liked the better lights but no biggie. Might look at better bulbs maybe?

Mine has OEM front spoiler, side skirts and rear diffuser plus 18" nitrogen wheels.

I have a full set of winters on my oem wheels which i'll keep on the car until the spring. In the mean time i'll look to buy a second set of rims for the summer, hopefully something super light and strong - i'll get some summer tyres on these and swap over spring/autumn.

I've got a set of Eibach Pro springs on order (-30, -15mm) and will also get hold of some Bilstein B8's to fit on the front when these go on (original dampers are ok but at 87k miles they won't last much longer i expect). I'll keep the OEM rear dampers though as these are the SACHS CDC adjustables which have a pretty good rep.

Also looking to get a re-map done at some point, once i've got the initial suspension costs out of the way. Looking like Celtic tuning (309lb ft!) is the way to do for this?

Some pics i took last night. Will post some more when the eibachs are on.

tq by Rob E, on Flickr

rear by Rob E, on Flickr

Untitled by Rob E, on Flickr

dog photobombing:
dog by Rob E, on Flickr

Honda by Rob E, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 28th September 2018, 10:23 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Just to add, really impressed so far with the economy of this thing - done 200 miles and averaging 70ish mpg which is pretty good given i'm on sticky winter rubber and not really trying
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 28th September 2018, 11:29
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.e View Post
I believe there was only one spec level higher than this in 2015 (EX plus?) which got led lights and keyless go - not bothered about the keyless but i would have liked the better lights but no biggie. Might look at better bulbs maybe?

If you have a friendly MOT tester, or are willing to remove them for the purposes of the MOT, I can recommend HIDs in the low beam projectors.
As they are projector lamps, the beam pattern is a solid cutoff, preventing blinding of oncoming traffic, whilst also giving an effective beam pattern with good hot spots and spread. I believe they offered these same lamps with HIDs in some European countries, so they are quite well suited.

I've been using 55W / 5000K HIDs and they match the DRL's perfectly, look and work great:- They are on par with the LEDs on the CTR / Tourer EX, having seen them side by side in real life!

I've got HIDs in the High beam too, which, whilst effective, does necessitate a ~15 second warm up time on first use before you'll get much usable light - For this fitting, you may prefer to use some OSRAM Nightbreaker lasers. HIDs still give a good pattern though.

I'd advise against LEDs in the 9G fittings:- Low beam, they don't produce enough light imo - Rainy nights had me badly struggling to see road markings! In high beam, they are effective, but there is a great deal of scatter, with an annoying blank spot between high beam and low beam, in front of the car, right where you want the light!
rob.e likes this.

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 28th September 2018, 12:58 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
^ thanks @Haltamer - thats good info. Don't want to be messing around at mot time though, so maybe the osram might be best option for the projectors too?
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 28th September 2018, 13:19 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
"mod" number 1, full set of fitted mats

Honda oem are loads of money, so i got these of mat_kings on ebay. 16.99, tailored to fit the honda footwells and use the factory clips. Quality is ok, not brilliant but hey, they're just for wiping your feet on.

Fit is great. They sent the wrong mat for the front passenger side though, clips not the right distance apart - they're sending me replacement FOC which is good of them.

As i only have one key i need to organise a replacement. Local dealer quoting 190ish all -in which is a bit steep. Ordered a key blank today (ebay) 49 quid OEM uncut. Will still need cutting/ coding but i think i'll be able to save 100 quid going the ebay route.

Also ordered one of those camera lens cover keepers (as recommended on this forum) to keep me from losing the washer filler cap.

.. and i've ordered some self adhesive felt so i can make so liners for the door pockets, stop stuff sliding around/ scratching. Oh, and a OEM boot net for the side of the boot space (£25 ouch!).
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 28th September 2018, 14:47
Supporter

Garage
The OSRAMs will give you some benefit in either fitting, though it is still a halogen headlight - I've been spoiled by HIDs; Wouldn't want to go back now

HID Fitting, once practiced, will take about 20 minutes in the dark - First time changing the bulbs (from anything to anything!) is a royal pain in the arse though! As I've a 17 Reg, I've still got a while before MOTs are needed anyway.
rob.e likes this.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 1st October 2018, 09:23 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Mod #2; wired in a push button for my remote gate opener

I invested in some electric gates for the house many years ago, very cool and works on a remote fob. rather than have a separate key fob sliding around in the car and getting lost i've found a company that clones the signal and makes a clever little box that you can wire in somewhere in your car.

Piggy back off the fuse board (empty slot) for permanent live:

.. and a push switch hidden below the dash where it can't be seen (and where you won't notice a hole when i remove it when the car everytually gets sold):

button by Rob E, on Flickr

Sorted.
Xa4cornelis and Soma like this.
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 1st October 2018, 10:12
Dutch

Car: 2015 Sport 1.6 sporty blue
Garage
Nice car mate!
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2018, 08:28 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Mod #3, do something with that blanking plate!

Ok, so only the top-spec car's got keyless go, and a push "start" button, so all the other cars, mine included get a really obvious blanking plate instead of a button. Doesn't look great.

Did consider putting a "joke" button in there, rocket launchers or something.. (or maybe my gate opener button) but i came up with a better solution.

ebay search for an original honda F1 dash plaque* that could fill the space.

* ok, its not really a dash plaque, it's a lapel badge originally, i just ground off the pins from the back.

This turned up yesterday, fitted with just a 3m self adhesive foam pad, same stuff you'd use for numberplate fixing, and it fits perfectly. I'm a big F1 fan and particularly Senna so this is great for me.

Cost 7 euros
bill ericay and Haltamer like this.
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2018, 09:18
Supporter

Garage
That's a good plan, I might need to think of something to go there now

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 8th October 2018, 09:59 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Mod #4 new key

Ok, not really a "mod" as such, but as the car only came with one key i needed a spare. Dealer wanted 190 so i used

https://www.lockandkeycentre.co.uk/

£99 and they did it in 15 minutes whilst i waited.

Untitled
by Rob E, on Flickr
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 8th October 2018, 13:55

Rob, just looking at your fuse mod. Where did you buy the cable with the built in fuse holder and what size are those fuses? Not in terms of amperes but physical size. I'm looking to put a 5VDC USB supply in for my dashcam.
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 8th October 2018, 14:02 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
Rob, just looking at your fuse mod. Where did you buy the cable with the built in fuse holder and what size are those fuses? Not in terms of amperes but physical size. I'm looking to put a 5VDC USB supply in for my dashcam.

ebay i think? it's one i've had in the garage for some time, bought for a previous car/ project but not used at the time. search for piggy back or fuse tap, it's a "mini" size you need.
post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 8th October 2018, 14:06
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
HERE or if you need them quicker HERE
Farqui likes this.
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 8th October 2018, 14:34

Thanks guys 😁
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 8th October 2018, 15:21
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,097 Times in 3,794 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Those piggy back fuses work a treat but on the Civic but is there any reason why you can't you use the 'option connector' for a dedicated feed?
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 8th October 2018, 15:56
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Price?
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 8th October 2018, 16:33 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
Those piggy back fuses work a treat but on the Civic but is there any reason why you can't you use the 'option connector' for a dedicated feed?
I've owned my civic for literally two weeks so i had no idea what that was (had to google it). Looks like a good solution

I already had the fuse tap thing sat on a shelf in the garage so no brainer really to re-use what i had.
Farqui and M8TJT like this.
post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 21st October 2018, 10:01 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Mod #5: black civic badge.

My car is white and black, pretty much everywhere, no chrome on it at all. .. apart from the CIVIC badge on the back :-/

I'd plastidipped badges in the past on other cars with mixed results so i for this one i found an actual black badge, ebay seller for 6 quid so worth a punt. Came from malasia or somewhere foreign

Dental floss and broken fingernail method to remove the old badge - marked up the oem location with masking tape first, found i'd run out of white spirit so stole some petrol out of the lawn mower fuel can to clean off the glue residue.

Looks pretty good i think?

black_badge
by Rob E, on Flickr

black_badge
by Rob E, on Flickr
Xa4cornelis and Farqui like this.
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 24th October 2018, 10:40 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
.. and

getting ready for my suspension upgrade. Bilstein B8s on the front with eibach pro spring kit.

Anything else i should look to replace at the same time?

Untitled
by Rob E, on Flickr

Untitled
by Rob E, on Flickr

Untitled
by Rob E, on Flickr

Untitled
by Rob E, on Flickr

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Gallery (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page