2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Survey. Auto Stop Start Problem

24K views 67 replies 40 participants last post by  Holland1954* 
#1 ·
Carrying on from THIS started by SUPERTEACH, I want to conduct a survey of owner's experiences with the Honda Auto Stop/Start feature on various Honda cars.

I appreciate this is in the 10G section, but there is no 'General Discussion' topic in the 'All Civics' section. (Admins?)

Right then.
I, and others have problems with the Auto Start/Stop (SS) feature. I have a 2017 1.5 0G Premier Manual. The SS doesn't work as published.

The symptoms are, with the engine/car warmed or cooled so that you don't get the 'failure' due to Temp or A/C icon, the SS consistently fails to stop the engine with the 'Battery' icon being indicated as the reason.

It appears that if after getting the SS 'Battery' error, (credit to DeermarK in the above thread, Post #27 for this) if you switch the engine completely off for a period of 30 seconds, the SS then works as published until you leave the car standing for more that about 30 odd minutes or so, whereby it then fails to work properly again. The engine OFF/WAIT 30 secs/Restart fixes the problem for me 100% of the times (so far) that I have tried it.

Note: It is important to know engine and transmission combination, as the systems most likely are designed and set up different if Manual or Automatic/CVT Transmission etc.

Please only post and state your Honda model and generation if:
a. Your SS works properly as published.
b. or your SS does not work as published but the above 'fix' fixes it
c. or your SS does not work as published but the above 'fix' doesn't fix it
d. or your SS doesn't work properly at initial startup, but you have found an alternative repeatable fix.

Please don't post if:

a. You suspect that if you change so and so, fully charge the battery etc. etc. might fix it. There have been may posts in the linked thread already that suggest stuff that doesn't fix it. DeermarK has had his Voltage Sensor, Battery and ECU changed and a smart battery charger fitted by Honda. None of which fixed it.

b. You are pleased that it doesn't work because it would P you off.

c. You have comments about wear and tear on the starter/engine etc.

as these are irrelevant to my survey.

Thanks in advance for your inputs

See less See more
#56 ·
Update after a few weeks of intense use: at the end of the first week the S/S started working more regularly.. when it works it works continuously no matter how many times, which means that the system has no "mechanical" problems at all, but every time i turn on the car it alternates between working and not.
It is almost 50/50, once it works once it doesn't and displays the battery.
If it is not running i just have to turn the engine off and back on and works always BUT it also happens the other way around.
If it is working and i stop the engine, when i restart it doesn't work.

Obviously when engine is cold it doesn't engage in the first few minutes, and displays a temperature symbol, but oddly sometimes it displays an A/C symbol while A/C, defrost front and back are NOT active (i still haven't figured out if this is linked to the events when it is not working or if it is a total random oddity).
I sent an email and messages a week ago at the dealer about the update, but he hasn't replied yet :rolleyes: Sent him another email and message reminder today..
Luckily the 50/50 chance plus turning it back on is a decent temporary fix until i get this sorted.

for all the rest dives nicely and everything, i quite love it!

P.S.
The parking sensor went nuts only once but it was rainy and windy so might have been a random debris flying nearby. the sensors picks up also small objects on the floor when parking.

I smelt a little bit of petrol on the oil dipstick already after almost a 1k miles (i had some driving to do), and the oil looked sensibly dirtier since the first week. i know some dilution is a bit normal with turbo and DI but how can you keep it checked if it is not too much? (and that dipstick is awful to read by the way!)

#57 ·
Mine actually started working without having to stop and restart the engine, which normally makes it 'more active'.

Most of the time, I deactivate it, as it makes little sense in the 'present conditions', and counters common sense and logic wrt engine longevity anyway.

Al.

#58 ·
Yeah i agree that sometimes it is not logic to use it.. it depends on the use you are making, say f.e. if you are doing long queues it is definitely better to deactivate it, so you can put neutral and release the clutch pedal for a few seconds of stop, not putting too much stress on the clutch itself. traffic lights in london are many and often long waits so the S/S helps saving considerably on fuel consumption. I usually assess the situation case by case, if i am predicting to stop for at least 30 seconds i let it engage, if i think it is shorter than that i don't.. . Said that i would still rather have the option to deactivate it than having a non/half working one.

#60 ·
Carrying on from THIS started by SUPERTEACH, I want to conduct a survey of owner's experiences with the Honda Auto Stop/Start feature on various Honda cars.

I appreciate this is in the 10G section, but there is no 'General Discussion' topic in the 'All Civics' section. (Admins?)

Right then.
I, and others have problems with the Auto Start/Stop (SS) feature. I have a 2017 1.5 0G Premier Manual. The SS doesn't work as published.

The symptoms are, with the engine/car warmed or cooled so that you don't get the 'failure' due to Temp or A/C icon, the SS consistently fails to stop the engine with the 'Battery' icon being indicated as the reason.

It appears that if after getting the SS 'Battery' error, (credit to DeermarK in the above thread, Post #27 for this) if you switch the engine completely off for a period of 30 seconds, the SS then works as published until you leave the car standing for more that about 30 odd minutes or so, whereby it then fails to work properly again. The engine OFF/WAIT 30 secs/Restart fixes the problem for me 100% of the times (so far) that I have tried it.

Note: It is important to know engine and transmission combination, as the systems most likely are designed and set up different if Manual or Automatic/CVT Transmission etc.

Please only post and state your Honda model and generation if:
a. Your SS works properly as published.
b. or your SS does not work as published but the above 'fix' fixes it
c. or your SS does not work as published but the above 'fix' doesn't fix it
d. or your SS doesn't work properly at initial startup, but you have found an alternative repeatable fix.

Please don't post if:

a. You suspect that if you change so and so, fully charge the battery etc. etc. might fix it. There have been may posts in the linked thread already that suggest stuff that doesn't fix it. DeermarK has had his Voltage Sensor, Battery and ECU changed and a smart battery charger fitted by Honda. None of which fixed it.

b. You are pleased that it doesn't work because it would P you off.

c. You have comments about wear and tear on the starter/engine etc.

as these are irrelevant to my survey.

Thanks in advance for your inputs
Works as it should and if used intelligently its very useful.

#62 ·
Civic mk 10 - 2018 36,500 miles 1.6d

SS not working:mad:

works approx 5% of the time (as you describe) my average miles per journey are 25 mostly motorway for 30 minutes. A 1000 mile trip to Scotland did nothing for it!
Twice it's been to the dealer for a battery charge (?) which has no effect unless a factory reset is performed. It should not be expected that a customer is required to return the car to a garage for such a major function to work again. Not fit for purpose

#66 ·
Mine works fine on the odd occasion I forget to switch it off 😆 - oh and still on 6yr old original battery which shows no sign of degradation at all (y) lots of threads here & elsewhere about replacing batteries much younger than that in vehicles with start/stop (whose owners use it)

#67 ·
My stop start works perfectly well in the warmer months but does what it likes when autumn and winter arrives

The dealer informed me that stop start will switch it's self off when there are too many other demands on the battery

My biggest gripe at the moment is the traffic signal system which keeps throwing up an 80 mph warning

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.