New Civic Sport Line?? - Civinfo
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th December 2018, 12:55 Thread Starter

Car: 2018 1.5 Turbo Sport+, Red
Garage
New Civic Sport Line??

Hi Guys,

Has anyone seen one of these in the flesh yet?

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/civ...port-line.html

I'd love the leather seats

Thanks

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12th December 2018, 07:17
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5T Sport, Sonic Grey
Garage
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12th December 2018, 08:45
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,428 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
'Sport' but only available with the 1.0 engine.
paddy and M8TJT like this.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12th December 2018, 12:14
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5T Sport, Sonic Grey
Garage
I guess, like most car companies, they want to appeal to the younger market who want the looks of a sporty car, but not the associated fuel costs,insurance and tax costs of one.

Ironically, I've seen many reports of the running costs (fuel) of the 1.0 being more than the 1.5...
Kremmen likes this.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12th December 2018, 23:51
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5 Sport Plus CVT Red
I can attest to that, I get considerably better fuel economy from my 1.5 compared to the 1.0 I had before. Small engines in big cars have to work so much harder, my 1.5 doesn't even have to try.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 13th December 2018, 12:47
Supporter

Car: 10G Civic Prestige
Problem is the leather seats are nice, but they're 'made-for-Americans' leather seats.

Younger clientele will be sliding around all over the place ...

Al.
LNT likes this.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 13th December 2018, 14:12
Supporter

Car: 2016 1.8 Sport Orchid White
I did actually see one on the top deck of a car transporter leaving Glyn Hopkin in Chelmsford last Thursday, so only a glimpse, but they do exist !
You may remember towards the end of the 9th Gen ,they repackaged the Sport with the 1.4 petrol engine, there must be a reason for Honda doing this. Sports looks ,but lower insurance perhaps.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 13th December 2018, 15:21
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Regarding leather.

My 9G has leather but it's not the old slippery stuff of old but a nice soft leather that holds you quite OK.

Out of choice though I do prefer a quality cloth but not the horrible stuff in my 2007 8G that looked like a patchwork quilt.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 13th December 2018, 18:46
Supporter

The point I was - too politely? - trying to make earlier was not so much the slipperyness of the leather, but that they're for 'generously proportioned' people, so younger drivers, unless they're at Mackies and Pizza Hut every day for the last 10 years, will find them far from 'sporty' in shape.

I'm larger in the waist than I was 30 years ago, but I still find them 20% too wide at the base to hold me decently for 'more enjoyable driving' without losing control.

Al.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 13th December 2018, 18:47
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ericay View Post
You may remember towards the end of the 9th Gen ,they repackaged the Sport with the 1.4 petrol engine, there must be a reason for Honda doing this. Sports looks ,but lower insurance perhaps.
Funnily enough, Just having sport in the name would add a couple hundred to my first year insurance premium (Despite equal performance). The SE+ Is (IIRC) More equipped than the sport, and only down the body colour arches and spoiler.

There certainly is a market for ___ Line cars though; See Audi S-Line, VW R-Line, MB AMG-Line, Ford ST-Line - They do seem to be popular with the young crowd, however, if said crowd had a bit more sense, they would opt for higher regular trims, without performance baubles, and have a similarly priced, better equipped, cheaper to insure car!
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 13th December 2018, 19:45
Supporter

Car: 2016 1.8 Sport Orchid White
You are quite right in some of your observations, with the 9th Gen the SE had much more equipment than the Sport. I had a difficult task choosing between the two when I bought my Civic, and it was definitely a heart over head decision. The insurance premium was the same for me for either model, but the Sport was , and still is, my choice from the heart !

Also , I like the fact that you identified Sport drivers as ' the young crowd'-- my previous car was a Jazz so you can imagine the pitying looks I got when I drove that !
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 13th December 2018, 22:19
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ericay View Post
Also , I like the fact that you identified Sport drivers as ' the young crowd'-- my previous car was a Jazz so you can imagine the pitying looks I got when I drove that !
I've yet to see a 9G Civic driven by anyone not wearing a flatcap (CTR Excluded) - And trust me, I'm looking every time I go past one!

That does work in my favour, as unlike all comparable yoof-preffered cars, there's no precedent for 17 - 25 year olds rolling them into ditches - Part of what made the Civic by a good margin the cheapest car to insure for me at 18.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 14th December 2018, 10:14

Garage
I saw one in the dealership yesterday.

It looks like a Sport without the central exhaust. It was white and it looked quite nice. The leather looked ok, but didn't feel that great. Its shame the Sport did not have alcantara or equivalent because that would definitely make it feel sportier and more premium.

I had a 1.3 Jazz while my Civic was in, and holy mother of god that thing was slow. Well equipped and not the ugliest car I have driven, but I genuinely think its the slowest thing I have ever driven. I think that would suck the joy out of driving for me, I would have to have the 1.5.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 14th December 2018, 10:30
Supporter

Love your comments on the Jazz OC.

I had a courtesy car Jazz 'automatic' when mine was being checked over - no sensors changed, nothing observed.

I had to floor the throttle to get off the line each time - once off the line, it seemed to tootle along OK.

Al.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 14th December 2018, 12:41
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Makes you wonder how the Jazz and TypeR are from the same company
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 14th December 2018, 13:02
Supporter

Garage
The auto part is probably the issue.
My civic has that 1.3 engine, and by no measure is it quick, but once you get it wound up nicely (+4k RPM) it's usable and fun.
Very difficult to break traction for the most part, so you can go round corners full throttle having a wonderful time, and putting less enthusiastic drivers to shame.
Overtakes are possible, but do require planning, as there is a gap in gears at 45mph where most people tend to sit - 2nd is a little too short, and third is a little too long coming in at only 3500rpm, which probably doesn't help overtaking factors.

I'd certaintly welcome extra power, but anyone who thinks it's dangerously underpowered or they couldn't keep up with traffic are two gears too high - it's best enjoyed as with all NA VTC honda engines in the last 1k

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
equaliser likes this.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 14th December 2018, 13:39
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Collings View Post
I saw one in the dealership yesterday.

It looks like a Sport without the central exhaust. It was white and it looked quite nice. The leather looked ok, but didn't feel that great. Its shame the Sport did not have alcantara or equivalent because that would definitely make it feel sportier and more premium.

I had a 1.3 Jazz while my Civic was in, and holy mother of god that thing was slow. Well equipped and not the ugliest car I have driven, but I genuinely think its the slowest thing I have ever driven. I think that would suck the joy out of driving for me, I would have to have the 1.5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
Love your comments on the Jazz OC.

I had a courtesy car Jazz 'automatic' when mine was being checked over - no sensors changed, nothing observed.

I had to floor the throttle to get off the line each time - once off the line, it seemed to tootle along OK.

Al.

i too have had the 1.3 jazz on loan the other week. WHY didnt they throw the 1.0turbo in there and detune it a bit. better mpg, emmissions, torque... truely baffling move keeping an NA engine in it.

edit: as you've said, i also think it was find mid range, but gutless low down - you simply cant get out of trouble or junctions in a half reasonable time.
Kremmen likes this.

Last edited by veehexx; 14th December 2018 at 16:05.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 15th December 2018, 10:09
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2018 Civic 1.0 SR Manual
Re this special edition, think we will see a facelift in 2019, the Americans have the facelift, it comes with a control knob on the infotainment, blue light to show activation on the handbrake button.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 15th December 2018, 13:44
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Regarding leather.

My 9G has leather but it's not the old slippery stuff of old but a nice soft leather that holds you quite OK.

Out of choice though I do prefer a quality cloth but not the horrible stuff in my 2007 8G that looked like a patchwork quilt.

10G cloth seems to feel hard wearing and rough, leather I suspect would be better but shame this sport line is not available as a 1.5.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 31st December 2018, 00:41

Car: 2007 Type-R
It's been a while since I posted, but I'm back. I'm the current owner of a 2007 Type-R (from new) and I am about to hang up my "Type-R hat" and have seen one of these Sportlines in the dealership and I am considering it! It does look very nice in white. The red stitching in the leather will probably remind me of the "fun" times I had in my current civic.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > General Discussion (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page