Rear Bumper Damage - Page 2 - Civinfo
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 15th June 2019, 20:06

£225.91 plus VAT for a new front bumper, came painted, from Honda. Had mine replaced thanks to being run off the road into a grass verge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 15th June 2019, 23:11

Hi, iím in Shropshire and not so far from Evesham.

Iím most probably, if the 3rd party paying agrees, going to order a new rear bumper face and strip the old (still good) parts off the damaged bumper myself and then refit everything. Did the bumper lower, grilles and parking sensors come off easily, no breakages?

My dealer can do the bumper face retail -15% (£464 is retail base cost exc. VAT), even then iím looking at a discounted cost of £473 with the VAT. Would you be happy to let me know which dealer you used, if itís easier I can pass on my email?

Many thanks
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 16th June 2019, 09:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ West View Post
£225.91 plus VAT for a new front bumper, came painted, from Honda. Had mine replaced thanks to being run off the road into a grass verge!
Why is the front so much cheaper than the rear!? They’re pretty much the same in sizing.

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 16th June 2019, 09:07 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidsey View Post
I will will see what i can do, unfortunately its a bit hard doing it on my phone so will try on my computer, i will see if i can put together a step by step in the how to section if i can 🙂
Yes ordered direct from my Honda dealer.
If you could then that would be awesome. I can see this being a very popular question
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 16th June 2019, 11:32
Supporter

Car: 2017 Civic 1.5 turbo sport +
Hi, all parts came off without breaking anything, but i will say take your time in removing everything as when removing the black parts from the bumper can be quite fiddly to unclip from the rear and very easily scratched. Make sure once all parts are removed WASH everything off before fitting to the new bumper, this is very important as the amount of crud and grit that gets between the plastics can be quite a bit as you dont want to scratch your new bumper whilst assembly. I will also say get someone to help you remove and refit the bumper as there are a few sharp edges where the rear quarters and bumper meets as you dont want to scratch any paint on your quarter panels.

I got the bumper through Starting Honda Worcester if this helps, weather they gave me discount they didnt say lol.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 16th June 2019, 11:37
Supporter

Car: 2017 Civic 1.5 turbo sport +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidsey View Post
I will will see what i can do, unfortunately its a bit hard doing it on my phone so will try on my computer, i will see if i can put together a step by step in the how to section if i can 🙂
Yes ordered direct from my Honda dealer.

If you could then that would be awesome. I can see this being a very popular question
So can i too lol, it will be only a rough guide as i dont think i have enough pics for a complete step by step but i have shown the main parts of removing the bumper and dismantled state 🙂
Thanks to fidsey from:
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 16th June 2019, 15:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Awesome! Somethings better than nothing
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 17th June 2019, 10:57

Car: 2018 1.5 Turbo Sport+, Red
Garage
Quote:
Let me know how it looks
Looks better this time round, but haven't been able to have a really good look. They didn't respray the whole bumper, just removed it this time a did them same corner. Only time will tell
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 17th June 2019, 12:26
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel1940 View Post
Hi,

I had someone reverse into my stationary Civic just this week. The paint is scuffed and one fixing area on the bumper face has torn, hence it’s a new bumper....

71500-TGG-E00ZH FACE ASSY., RR. BUMPER

The bumper cost is £464 + VAT and a dealer quoted £105 + VAT to remove/strip/replace. A dealer may do a better deal if you ask them nicely.

As the new bumper will be pre-painted, at the Honda factory in Swindon, you’ll get a good colour match.

You shouldn’t have to go through the hassle of a smart repair, it’s pretty much a brand new car.

Cheers

The usual cost these days for respraying at many Honda approved bodyshops is £250 + VAT = £300 per panel. It sounds as if you got quoted for a smart repair if they quoted £105 plus VAT. That's approx 1 hour labour + paint. There's no way they could do the job described in that time in my opinion (remove, strip back to bare plastic, sand, undercoat, top coat, clear coat, polish, re-fit etc), irrespective of what they told you. There's a reason why it's around £250+VAT at mainstream bodyshops - it's because of the prep time taken for sanding and that excludes the time taken to remove the part from the car. That said, nothing wrong with a smart repair. Smart repairers can make some excellent quality repairs for a lot less than the full cost.

Last edited by RA108; 17th June 2019 at 12:36.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 17th June 2019, 15:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

That’s to replace the bumper, not to respray it. Honda bumpers come pre-painted from the factory. Basically it’s a swap out (extra trim ported over).
RA108 likes this.
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 17th June 2019, 15:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Just had the repair costs from Hondaís (Crewe) approved bodyshop and the cost of repair is a whooping £700!!!

At this price itís cheaper to go replacement rather than repair.
Thanks to Al_G from:
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 19th June 2019, 13:18
Supporter

Car: 10G Civic Prestige
Whatever happened to 'deformable bumpers' (and self-repairing paint - Nissan were trying that weren't they?) ?

Al.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 20th June 2019, 08:57
Supporter

Quote:
Just had the repair costs from Honda’s (Crewe) approved bodyshop and the cost of repair is a whooping £700!!!
They're having lots of parts... you'd have to to pay for the bumper on top, so another £464 + VAT... you're not going to save that on the paint side.

The Bumper comes bare, so you have to reuse all the black plastic parts
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 20th June 2019, 14:26

Car: Rallye Red Sport.CVT
2nd Service

Just taken my car into the Honda dealers for a 2nd service on my 1.5sport CVT and I asked did you change the cvt fluid?. You haven't got a CVT sir he replied! . Well what's that outside I said it's a CVT. But the computer says it's not a CVT. So no the fluid has not been changed, I'm ever so sorry we will change it when you come in for the grill replacement in August. You would think the technician would know to change the fluid on a second service as it's important for the longativity of the transmission. Reminds me of little Britain "computer says no". I wondered why last year they were trying to tell me it wasn't a CVT I had. It was a computer glitch. Unbelievable. It was the same firm decades ago changed a camshaft on my ford I had at that time and never refilled the cooling system and overheated after a 2 mile journey home. I think next year it will be a different dealership�� Whoops should be a new thread

Last edited by Timbo65; 20th June 2019 at 14:39. Reason: Wrong thread
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 20th June 2019, 18:44

Car: 2017 1.0 SR, White
I have my car booked for the 17th July with Shine through Smart Insurance. I’ll post pics before and after once its done.
Al_G likes this.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 20th June 2019, 22:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalrystu View Post
They're having lots of parts... you'd have to to pay for the bumper on top, so another £464 + VAT... you're not going to save that on the paint side.

The Bumper comes bare, so you have to reuse all the black plastic parts

The bumper is pre-painted out of the factory. Honda have always supplied pre-painted bumpers. Same for my FN2 and S2000. The £464 is for the painted bumper. Youíll just need to swap over the existing trim.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 20th June 2019, 22:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by D84rk_Knight View Post
I have my car booked for the 17th July with Shine through Smart Insurance. Iíll post pics before and after once its done.

Perfect. Let us know how the repair goes.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2019, 13:32
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by RA108 View Post
The usual cost these days for respraying at many Honda approved bodyshops is £250 + VAT = £300 per panel. It sounds as if you got quoted for a smart repair if they quoted £105 plus VAT. That's approx 1 hour labour + paint. There's no way they could do the job described in that time in my opinion (remove, strip back to bare plastic, sand, undercoat, top coat, clear coat, polish, re-fit etc), irrespective of what they told you. There's a reason why it's around £250+VAT at mainstream bodyshops - it's because of the prep time taken for sanding and that excludes the time taken to remove the part from the car. That said, nothing wrong with a smart repair. Smart repairers can make some excellent quality repairs for a lot less than the full cost.
If the £105 plus vat is just to remove and replace then it's around 1.5 hrs labour so probably right. I thought at 1st you meant £105+VAT all in to respray - I knew that was optimistic. £465+VAT is a lot for a new part though!

It's always worth getting in well with your dealer. For minor repairs dealers use Smart repairers who come in once a week and charge dealer rates eg at my local Suzuki Dealer, I could get a wheel refurb for £35. Most small bodywork repairs will be £50-80 direct from a smart repairer or through the dealer at smart repairer rates rather than through their "bodyshop" arrangement. If you go through the bodyshop, the dealer will add a cut on top quoting you a repair price and then probably just paying the smart repairer to do it at their usual rate.

Last edited by RA108; 22nd June 2019 at 13:36.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2019, 17:21 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Just had a quote from my local dealer for the replacements parts.

Labour charge is .7 of an hour to replace so it canít be a big job.

Replacement part is steep though @ 464 + VAT.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2019, 12:21

Car: 2017 1.0 SR, White
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84rk_Knight View Post
I have my car booked for the 17th July with Shine through Smart Insurance. I’ll post pics before and after once its done.

Perfect. Let us know how the repair goes.
Shine phone me this morning saying they had a cancellation so they can repair mine today. It is being repaired right now. Il post pics of before and after later on.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > General Discussion (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page