9th gen vs 10th gen reliability? - Civinfo
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 25th July 2019, 20:09 Thread Starter

Car: 2013 1.6 I-DTEC Orchid White
9th gen vs 10th gen reliability?

I am getting to the stage where I am looking to upgrade from the 9th gen to the 10th gen Civic. By far the biggest pull for me is the reliability of the Civic. I am concerned to see, what I perceive to be, a significant increase in reliability issues. I had a quick look on Whatcar (I know its not the best source) which suggests the same and shows the new Civic sliding down the tables with the likes of the Hyundai and Kia scoring higher and even an Audi A3 scoring more than the Japanese work horse.

What is happening? Is this a fair perception?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 27th July 2019, 07:44
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5T Sport
Mines been back for rattles air con fix and a couple of other minor things, the 8th gen I had felt better screwed together the 10 is a great car but Im not sure I would buy another. In my opinion Honda have let things slide a little whilst other manufacturers have made gains in quality.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 27th July 2019, 23:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

That’s what I am fearing. It sounded so promising with the rear returning to independent links but I think others, mainly from Korea are surpassing them. I had a ride in a Sportage the other day and was very impressed. Solid, smooth, handled well, good size and cheaper than the equivalent Honda, plus that 7 year warranty.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2019, 12:45

Car: 2015 5d 1.6 i-DTEC
Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ice View Post
Thatís what I am fearing. It sounded so promising with the rear returning to independent links but I think others, mainly from Korea are surpassing them. I had a ride in a Sportage the other day and was very impressed. Solid, smooth, handled well, good size and cheaper than the equivalent Honda, plus that 7 year warranty.

Yes but look where they are in breakdown statistics. I prefer car that works rather then the one with long warranty.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2019, 23:03 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

You will need to point me in the right direction to the breakdown statistics Im afraid as everything Ive read regarding the Kias and Hyundais are good. What Car, for example, place the Sportage as the most reliable SUV available.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 26th August 2019, 14:09

Mechanically I would say the 10th gen should be spot on, as expected, however all the bugs and faults are to do with a rattely cabin (depends on what time of day and temperature as to what is rattling!) and dodgy new features - I've had mine in for stop/start (didn't work for a month), parking sensors, parking sensorS! (yes twice!), sunroof rattle and now sunroof broken link! the passenger seat squeaks? and there is noticeable wind noise around the drivers a pillar, oh and the drivers window went in cos it rattled. thats not the end of the rattles but think that's most of it.

So if you like rattles buy one

And while I'm at it, the pull over parcel shelf the marketers rave over, is just a "weight saving gimmick" to far for me I'd much prefer a solid shelf that shuts out more noise from the rear
stoo likes this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 26th August 2019, 23:10 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I've read a lot about the sun roof issue and a/c issues. I guess they're not major, but I don't remember the 9th gen having any issues at all.

Looking through Hondas approved used website they have 3 year old 1.6d 9th gen (face lift versions) SR models with 25,000 on the clock for around £10,000. The 10th gen 1.6 1 year old, 15,000 miles SE go for £12,500. I'm thinking that despite the niggles the newer one maybe the better option.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 09:13
Earth Dreams :)

Car: 2017 CTR GT
Garage
OK, my honest opinion. Went from a 9G 1.6dtec to a 10G CTR.

The 9G never missed a beat, ran well with no "annoyances". The 10G is mechanically sound, but for some reason I have have issues with trim pieces (all done under warranty) and a few times had warning system things lighting up the dash - and had them reset and was just fine.. The 10G to me feels more like a "cost cutting" exercise and it shows, but the ride quality and comfort in the 10G out weighs the 9G..
Think once the annoyances have been resolved, 10G is a great car - but it does cast doubt in your mind over the long term, the "what next" - where I did not feel that with the 9G..
M8TJT likes this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 12:24

I agree the 10th gen is allot better to drive than the 8th gen. It's what made me buy the car. but with all the issues surrounding the cabin build, granted they can be fixed, how long is this cabin going to stay "quite" worries me. my 8th generation had a few rattles but then it had done over 100k! and they were no where near as annoying as this "new build"

It can really only affect the residual values..
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 16:55

I bought mine to replace my trusty manual 8G. The main drastic improvements that convinced me I wanted the 10G were the ride quality, the CVT transmission (I really like it) and the 'tech' in terms of CarPlay and the useful driver assistance features - Brake hold is superb. The 'engineering' of it does feel exceptional. The engine is very quick and relatively efficient for the performance it gives. The heads up / speedo display is excellent, on a par with some much more high end cars in my view too - I appreciate this.

The interior looks great, but it is cheap in places. And the rattles and creaks that seemingly crop up in new random places are irritating - not just the fact that they need to be dealt with - under warranty or otherwise. It's so difficult to get a Honda dealership to even recognise them, especially when they only crop up possibly on certain road surfaces or in certain weathers! Some of the plastics used are way too easy to scratch - why Honda, and other manufacturers for that matter, use gloss plastics that scratch when you breathe on them, I will never know!

They don't bother me particularly, but now others have pointed them out - the panel gaps on this car are a significant step backward vs the 9G and any generation previous. There's not many panel gaps that remain even all the way along. The rear bumper/quarter panel gap is shoddy. The A Pillar (externally) has a slight twist where it meets the front wings - this is the same on all the 10G Civic's I've seen.

It remains to be seen how reliable the car is, but I have no reason to doubt this, as the engineering of the car does feel sturdy and even premium for a car in this class. Everything cosmetic, inside and out is definitely a step backward and could do much better.

Until ownership of the 10G I didn't think I'd buy anything but a Honda, but after my experience with this I am definitely considering very seriously this being my last.
muddy9mtb likes this.

Last edited by stoo; 27th August 2019 at 17:00.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 28th August 2019, 12:47

Eco display Eco display
We have all the gens starting from 7th in the family and all were bought brand new. Honda is on downward spiral for all those years.

I still own 9G 1.6 dtec (100k on the clock) and now also 10G 1.6 9AT in top spec (because the upholstery material in 10g is such a downgrade coming from 9g that I had to upgrade to leather - and I am glad I did as sunroof is brilliant, no problems with is so far in Saloon version, and LEDs with auto dip are very nice and the dead spot thingy is also brilliant).

My 9G had few problems. Rattles, but so much less then 10G (OMG 10G is some kind of rattle diva... as previously said it will sing differently every day, depending on road surface, temperature - it almost feel like it depends also on what I wear). I do not even bother going to dealership with rattles as I have a feeling they will break more then repair. At least I am not ready to chase it yet. Maybe if it gets more annoying.

Coming back to 9G, the biggest one was clutch judder on cold mornings and when cold car in general. Started after 20k km. Replaced under warranty supposedly for new clutch design and guess what. Started juddering again after 20k from installation (and my 3 years / 100k warranty has lapsed now). BTW can anyone advice if this new clutch should be covered under its own warranty maybe? (Also the clutch problem was part of the reason I went automatic with 10g). But that was it for 9G.

As you know from other posts in this thread 10g can have a lot more problems. Mine other then rattles has sensor problem. Happened once so far so they will have to replace the bumper part as per service bulletin. But the most worrying thing are vibrations in D or R when standing in traffic and not moving. They vibrations are quite unpleasant. I will be going to Honda to drive another car to compare it next week and to talk about it but it just cannot be normal.

Having in mind all of the above 9AT with low speed follow is amazing for my commute. It is just so much more relaxing experience. If only the vibrations could be sorted that would make me a very happy bunny.

Cheers

Last edited by sebna; 28th August 2019 at 12:54.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 28th August 2019, 16:00

Car: 1.6 i-DTEC
Interesting. Only 2 things bothering me on the 9g is clicking in the backrest and the rattling mirror adjustment button when I hear music with little more bass.

Previous 6 gen Civic (sold with 250.000 km) had no problems. Just an old tin can with aging parts that had to be replaced.

Next car probably will be a Toyota/Lexus or Suzuki Swift / Mazda Mx5 as a fun car.
stoo likes this.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 28th August 2019, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
Next car probably will be a Toyota/Lexus or Suzuki Swift / Mazda Mx5 as a fun car.
I do like the look of the new Toyota Corolla. My wife has a Suzuki and it doesn't rattle at all, has a lot of the 'tech' the Civic has, despite being half the price (new).

The new Mazda 3 looks nice too...
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 28th August 2019, 17:39

Eco display Eco display
Current Mazda's line-up is supposedly the loudest of in their respective classes so that is a no go for me.

Never checked Suzuki offering . Maybe that was a mistake.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 28th August 2019, 21:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Or Kia/Hyundai. I’m a bit gutted to be honest. The 9th gen had been by far and away the best car I’ve had. It really is annoying when a decent company gives up on its principles and stops being a decent company while hoping that their customers don’t notice. The Civics are not exactly cheap and I expect better than rattly interiors, a/c issues, etc.

To be honest I will probably keep my 9th gen for a bit longer and then jump ship. Thanks for the advice everyone.
stoo likes this.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 29th August 2019, 09:09

"The Civics are not exactly cheap and I expect better than rattly interiors, a/c issues, etc."

youve hit the nail on the head there whitey... I worked it out this 10g had a 6k premium on my last honda and yer it drives lovely but I am not happy with build quality. Quality is subjective I know but somethings cannot be ignored.

I get to drive a 2017 ford focus estate at work with 1.5 diesel engine, it pulls lovely in all gears (can't say that for the honda), everythings screwed together and the cabin is quite. I must be getting old

Last edited by muddy9mtb; 29th August 2019 at 09:12. Reason: add ford comment
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 29th August 2019, 09:15

Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ice View Post
Or Kia/Hyundai. Iím a bit gutted to be honest. The 9th gen had been by far and away the best car Iíve had. It really is annoying when a decent company gives up on its principles and stops being a decent company while hoping that their customers donít notice. The Civics are not exactly cheap and I expect better than rattly interiors, a/c issues, etc.

To be honest I will probably keep my 9th gen for a bit longer and then jump ship. Thanks for the advice everyone.

All our opinions can really scare you off and all those little things are annoying but 10g is by far the best Honda Civic yet and I mean by a substantial margin. I observed the progress between generations and the progress from 9G to 10G is the biggest in last 4 generations IMHO. It really feels like one class higher car in compare to 9g.

So I would recommend 10g to anyone because it is just so very good in ultimate scale bar the little annoyances.

Cheers
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 29th August 2019, 10:41

Red face

I do echo this. In the big scheme of things, the fundamental quality issues, providing the car itself proves to be as reliable as previous Honda's, make it an excellent car overall.

Try and find another car in this class, with the performance and features it has (I'm talking about the Prestige trim).

The Mazda 3 doesn't have so much engine performance, nor the excellent speedo/heads up display panel.

The Hyundai i30 has less engine performance, I think it does look very nice throughout, but still not so slick as the Civic overall in terms of navigation system integration.

The Toyota Corolla has less engine performance, no full leather, even in top trim level and again that heads up display is lesser. The in car touch screen although faster in operation, just doesn't work as well.

These are the three closest competitors in my view. The German cars are far more expensive for a similar feature set. Ford are just well, Ford... Vauxhall - well make of that what you will. French manufacturers, just no (from personal experience).

Most of the time I really do still enjoy driving my Civic, it's mostly a pleasure - which is probably why when the quality problems crop up it makes it so much more disappointing as you also know how great it is.

Hopefully Honda learn from this, but I think 'we complainers' are so relatively few it will just be missed and they'll either continue this seemingly downward spiral, or regain some self respect by improving on such shortfalls.

I am notoriously 'picky' and some days the noises drive me crazy, but I am softening and learning to just ignore them when they do rear their heads. Depends what kind of person you are too - I know some people, possibly even most that would just never notice these issues we raise on these forums.
sebna likes this.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 29th August 2019, 15:29

Car: 2018 1.6D EX 5 door grey
I am quite new to Honda cars in any form bikes I have had a few. My 2018 Civic is my first and probably my last.I have owned it for less than 6 months and it has gone back to supplying dealer about six times now for same faults ie stop/start aircon tpms eps repair one and get a new one I have over the last 48 years had many cars many new all makes.Including premium German marques and to be honest none have been to the dealer more than this Honda has.I don't buy a new car to expect it to be in the garage other than a service.If I want to spend my time backwards and forwards to a garage I would bought a 20 year wreck that you know needs repairs.Although that you can repair yourself.It's all very nice having the latest gizmos if they work.Honda seem to be using the customer as quality control.
stoo likes this.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 29th August 2019, 15:36
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
What's all this about "Head up display" stoo? A head up display has the relevant display projected onto the windscreen directly into the line of sight of the driver/pilot. My Prestige certainly does not have that. Is it a later addition?

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > General Discussion (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page