2.2 Type S GT Remapping - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 28th October 2014, 17:20 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: type S 2.2 GT 2010
2.2 Type S GT Remapping

Hi all was wondering if anyone has had a 2.2 Type S GT remapped? Been told off 3/4 companys that it can gain 50 BHP taking it to 190 BHP with no trouble at all. Was just looking for some pros and cons or any advice!

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 28th October 2014, 17:52
Supporter

Car: 2009 FN3
Garage
Who are you getting it remapped from? Plenty of 2.2 owners have it remapped, but it's advised to use a reputable tuning company, not some garage that has a file map downloaded from somewhere.

I see you have a 2010 2.2. That's good. That means you should have the 325 clutch which is the 2nd revision and best of the OEM clutches (305 was original, 315 was first revision). You can always contact honda UK to find out which clutch was fitted at the factory, but with a 2010 it's pretty much given it'll be the newest one.

That means it should (should) be able to handle a torque increase coming up to 300lbs/ft. It's the torque that gets people, as that is what does the factory clutch in. Most oem clutch-friendly remaps will put the torque up to about 290lbs/ft and about 190bhp. Any more, and you'd need an aftermarket clutch to handle the power (there are options available if this is what you want.

Obviously, clutch wear and tear isn't an exact science. Some have gone a couple weeks and their clutch starts slipping (engine revs suddenyl increase, with no increase in power) indicating the clutch is on it's way out. Some have gone a year or 2 (could be usual lifespan of clutch, who knows!). Some have said they had a bit of clutch slipping, but then it was fine for ages (clutch can readjust itself after slipping and be fine).

Pros are: more power, more torque, more fun!

Cons are: clutch lifespan can be affected.

Hope that helped!

personally, i'd have some money set aside in case the clutch doesn't last. I'm planning on replacing the clutch for the CG 666 and then getting a bigger increase in power, as it's capable of handling it without problems.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 28th October 2014, 18:35
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,114 Times in 3,811 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Good advice on the clutch there.

Have just had mine done, defo worth it.

Celtic are one of the company's many recommend, a bit far from you but they have regional engineers.

Comparable mapping profile is in my gallery/mod's thread - pah, i saved you the bother of looking;

Last edited by Farqui; 28th October 2014 at 18:43.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 28th October 2014, 18:46
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,263 Times in 1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purekillforce View Post
...personally, i'd have some money set aside in case the clutch doesn't last. I'm planning on replacing the clutch for the CG 666 and then getting a bigger increase in power, as it's capable of handling it without problems.
There's absolutely no evidence that these CG Motorsport clutches have a decent longevity. In fact, the relatively short lifetime of previous CGM clutch assemblies is well documented in this and other forums.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 28th October 2014, 19:18
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
There's absolutely no evidence that these CG Motorsport clutches have a decent longevity. In fact, the relatively short lifetime of previous CGM clutch assemblies is well documented in this and other forums.
That's the risk you take when you start upping power.

So far it seems the best mix for performance/cost/OEM clutch feel. There aren't many other options, are there?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 28th October 2014, 21:15
Bye bye Honda...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purekillforce View Post
That's the risk you take when you start upping power.

So far it seems the best mix for performance/cost/OEM clutch feel. There aren't many other options, are there?
Fair point, I suppose. But nevertheless frustrating when the clutch fails to last a decent length of time... how much money do you want to keep throwing at the problem?

I have seen no reports of CGM clutches lasting a decent time. They're really for motorsport applications where short-term torque-handing is paramount, rather than giving an OEM lifetime to a mildly-tweaked road car.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 28th October 2014, 21:24 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: type S 2.2 GT 2010
Thank you for the advice guys! As i have the best stock clutch there's no reason really why i shouldn't go for it, i was told of a mechanic friend that a K&N panel filter may be a good idea before mapping, and thoughts on this or any other mods that could help with a few extra horses?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 28th October 2014, 22:09
Bye bye Honda...

A K&N air filter will give worse performance than the standard air box and filter. A well-respected former Civinfo member called Relic performed a range of tests on alternative filter types, only to discover the original one was best. See if you can find some of his performance threads.

The problem with doing a few mods is that you'll then need a custom remap, which will cost a fair bit more than one of the standard offerings. The gains from a standard Celtic or Elite/Premier remap are pretty impressive already!

I would worry about upping the power too much. You could well have a 315 clutch, as the 325 was fitted during 2010... your '2010' car may have been manufactured in 2009 or during early 2010 before the 325 was released. It was good advice to check this with Honda.
Thanks to Jon_G from:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 29th October 2014, 05:57
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordancree View Post
Thank you for the advice guys! As i have the best stock clutch there's no reason really why i shouldn't go for it, i was told of a mechanic friend that a K&N panel filter may be a good idea before mapping, and thoughts on this or any other mods that could help with a few extra horses?
As Jon said; stock filter gives best results. Others give a small loss in power.

A bigger fmic and a new exhaust would give you a bit more power, but you'd really want a custom map done on a rolling road to take advantage of this, and even still, your standard clutch would be holding you back.

Clutch is the first weak point. Upgrade that, and you've got plenty of room for improvement until you start maxing out the turbo's capabilities. Again, though, as Jon said; the new clutches from CG are unproven in exactly how long they will last. A few members have them and are happy with them so far, but it might be a while before we get some figures for their lifespan.

As for the custom map, Celtic offer a discount for civinfo members if you go to them (instead of a technician coming to you), which might make the trip more appealing.

Check out "messiahontrial". His 2.2 thread has lots of information on what he's currently running and I think he has one of (of not the) fastest 2.2 civics on the forum currently.
Thanks to purekillforce from:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 29th October 2014, 13:26

Car: 2006 Type S 1.8 petrol
Hi
Please help! I have a 56 plate Type S and I really want if remapped! Where can I get it done?? Got a quote from the only place in England I've found that can do it but is over £1000!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 29th October 2014, 13:37
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,114 Times in 3,811 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Oh shut my mouth, I see that you're not running a derv! The rest of this isn't relevant...

Eh? - have you tried Celtic, Premier Tuning, etc?

I know for a fact that http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/ won't charge you that much, even if they use a mobile engineer it's £300, £200 if you you go along to their rolling road in Cornwall and mention Civinfo

Searching these forums reveals lots of useful info

Last edited by Farqui; 29th October 2014 at 14:06. Reason: corrected URL, etc
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 29th October 2014, 14:01

Car: 2006 Type S 1.8 petrol
Yeah tried premier called so many that I can't remember if I called Celtic Iwl check out nice one
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 30th October 2014, 06:57
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot25 View Post
Yeah tried premier called so many that I can't remember if I called Celtic Iwl check out nice one
Celtic don't remap the 1.8 or 1.4 engines. Don't know anywhere that will, sorry buddy.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > General Discussion (8G)

Tags
2.2 , remap , remapping , tuning , type s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page