Possible clutch master cylinder failure? - Civinfo
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lee8210
  • 1 Post By Lee8210

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 6th August 2017, 11:18 Thread Starter
Supporter

Question Possible clutch master cylinder failure?

Hi all,

Our Civic broke down last night, it wouldn't disengage the clutch, the recovery driver said he suspects the master cylinder has failed, is this an easy diagnose / fix at home and where is the best place to order from?
It is our only car and we are out in the countryside so would need to have parts delivered.
I also thought about getting a mobile mechanic out to it.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 6th August 2017, 11:48

Car: 2009 honda civic type s 1.8
Eco display Eco display
Send a message via AIM to Harryhonda98 Send a message via MSN to Harryhonda98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee8210 View Post
Hi all,

Our Civic broke down last night, it wouldn't disengage the clutch, the recovery driver said he suspects the master cylinder has failed, is this an easy diagnose / fix at home and where is the best place to order from?
It is our only car and we are out in the countryside so would need to have parts delivered.
I also thought about getting a mobile mechanic out to it.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
The master cylinder is below the dash and located in the pedal box have a look to see if there is any leaks or dampness around that aera, are you sure the clutch plate hasnt gone? Havent herd of a master cylinder failing

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 6th August 2017, 13:14 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Well I have just been out to investigate and I couldn't find any leakage around the master or the slave, I took the battery out to get better access to look round.
I then got someone to press the clutch peddle and watched the slave and it worked.
I then put the battery back in and started the car, I pressed the clutch in and tried to select a gear and it went into gear OK, I then did a test drive and didn't have a problem.

I'm not sure what to do now as the problem has gone!
I don't want to start replacing parts like the master cylinder etc. if they aren't the problem.
Is there anything that could have reset when I took the battery off?
I'm puzzled now.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 6th August 2017, 13:28

Car: 2009 honda civic type s 1.8
Eco display Eco display
Send a message via AIM to Harryhonda98 Send a message via MSN to Harryhonda98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee8210 View Post
Well I have just been out to investigate and I couldn't find any leakage around the master or the slave, I took the battery out to get better access to look round.
I then got someone to press the clutch peddle and watched the slave and it worked.
I then put the battery back in and started the car, I pressed the clutch in and tried to select a gear and it went into gear OK, I then did a test drive and didn't have a problem.

I'm not sure what to do now as the problem has gone!
I don't want to start replacing parts like the master cylinder etc. if they aren't the problem.
Is there anything that could have reset when I took the battery off?
I'm puzzled now.
Yes does seem puzzling, i mean you could try rebleeding the clutch system just to eliminate any air in the system and renew the fluid is never a bad thing as the fluid is probabaly black! Has your clutch been slipping at all?

Thanks to Harryhonda98 from:
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 6th August 2017, 16:18
Supporter

Car: 2006 1.8i Vtec 5 door, Grey
Just had my gearbox repaired with new bearings. Also clutch replaced (95k miles). When the guy (transmission garage) came to put new hydraulic fluid through the system he struggled. He said the fluid that came out was dark and mucky. He also said something about the fluid not being able to pass through because although the clutch pedal was coming back ok, there may be some wear at the seal (or where the fluid passes through into the system....or words to that effect) not allowing it to pass through easily.

He injected fresh fluid in from the top (after disconnecting the reservoir) and got pressure on the clutch. He left it overnight and tested it again in the morning. All good and pressure has been fine. The gearbox and clutch feel perfect now.

I've only ever worked on motorbike hydraulic brakes and understand the bleeding process. Also replaced the seals on brake calipers too.

Perhaps the fluid (Dot 4) in the system needs replacing on yours too? Wouldn't attempt this myself and would leave it too a more experienced person.
Thanks to grahamj69 from:
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 6th August 2017, 16:54 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamj69 View Post
Just had my gearbox repaired with new bearings. Also clutch replaced (95k miles). When the guy (transmission garage) came to put new hydraulic fluid through the system he struggled. He said the fluid that came out was dark and mucky. He also said something about the fluid not being able to pass through because although the clutch pedal was coming back ok, there may be some wear at the seal (or where the fluid passes through into the system....or words to that effect) not allowing it to pass through easily.

He injected fresh fluid in from the top (after disconnecting the reservoir) and got pressure on the clutch. He left it overnight and tested it again in the morning. All good and pressure has been fine. The gearbox and clutch feel perfect now.

I've only ever worked on motorbike hydraulic brakes and understand the bleeding process. Also replaced the seals on brake calipers too.

Perhaps the fluid (Dot 4) in the system needs replacing on yours too? Wouldn't attempt this myself and would leave it too a more experienced person.
We have been out for a test drive in it this afternoon and it seems ok so I think I am going to replace the fluid and also do the brake fluid while I am at it as we have only had the car 6 months so have no idea when it was last done.

I need to do an oil change and check a few things as it has it's MOT later this month so I will do it then.
Farqui likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 6th August 2017, 16:56 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhonda98 View Post
Yes does seem puzzling, i mean you could try rebleeding the clutch system just to eliminate any air in the system and renew the fluid is never a bad thing as the fluid is probabaly black! Has your clutch been slipping at all?

No slipping of the clutch at all, I think I am going to change the fluid and see how it goes.
Harryhonda98 likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 7th August 2017, 19:36
Supporter

Car: 2006 1.8i Vtec 5 door, Grey
My Clutch was cooked. Was still working ok, but heavy. The guy showed me the old clutch. It was black, scored and had signs that the material was just about to crumble.

As I said, was still working well........
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 7th August 2017, 22:34
Supporter

Car: 10G Civic Prestige
Of the 3 units - master, slave and damper, the damper seems to be the weakest link. Perhaps its that?

Al.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 5th October 2017, 20:13 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Well, the problem seems to have come back, 2 weeks ago it did it once so we took it in to a Honda dealer for them to look at it but they didn't find anything wrong with it.
Today it has started to do it again but more often, the clutch pedal seems to vibrate sometimes when changing gear and the odd rumble from the gears when driving 2nd to 3rd mainly.
Could the clutch be the problem?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 5th October 2017, 20:28

Is it a 2.2 you have?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 5th October 2017, 20:31

What did the dealer suggest? My 2.2 has a slight feel through the pedal that I guess you could describe as vibration, low frequency. It's had a new clutch and the dmf is well within spec, no change before or after new clutch so I put it down to the feel of the dmf on mine
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 5th October 2017, 20:32

What makes you think master cylinder? Have you tried bleeding it?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 5th October 2017, 20:33

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 5th October 2017, 20:38 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew_ctr View Post
What makes you think master cylinder? Have you tried bleeding it?
The first time we broke down the recovery truck driver said it could be the master cylinder.
Honda couldn't find anything wrong with the master, slave.
I have changed the fluid so I know it is new and has no air in it.
It is a deep mechanical rumble.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > General Discussion (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page