2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

MPG Conerns

7K views 87 replies 27 participants last post by  Tee_tee110 
#1 ·
Hi all,

So I’ve been comparing my mk8 ES with other cars and I feel like mine just ain’t good enough when it comes to MPG. I get roughly 280miles from a full tank compared to like my GF’s 1.4 Astra mk5 @ 350, friends A3 @ 550... is it just me or do other mk8s encounter this too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#53 ·
In mine it is set so that Trip A sets itself to Zero whenever I fill up and on the NAVi system it will give you your current average and the average of your last three fills. Keep Trip B for letting me know when a service is done.

#56 ·
MPG concerns

Should get high 30's to low/mid forty's on normal driving. Use Castrol Edge engine oil. air filter/fuel filter OK. Tyres set to correct pressure - on Goodyears presently. Battery holding charge & electrics OK. Look ahead if on long carriageway & lift off accelerator early rather than braking hard.:grin2:

#57 ·
Yeah u can clean it depending on what’s in the air filter, mine had abit of debris like a leaf and some dry dirt :S
I just whacked it out on the floor and used a air compressor for remaining, wasn’t much in first place but wanted to rule that out

I’ve used Castrol oil in mine, can’t remember what one like [emoji848][emoji848] but I know it’s right one

I’ve actually got a 2hr drive today, done tyres and refuel lastnight so will see how that is today ?

#60 ·
Well I'd say that for a cars second service that the filter should be changed as it had done 27K Miles. Complained to Honda and they say "Officially" that an Air Filter does not need changed until three year old or 37 thousand miles? even though mine hadn't attained either, I'd have though strongly that it would have been part of the service to at least check the Air Filter considering the astronomical price Honda charge for their servicing. And if that is their service interval directive, they can ram it where the sun doesn't shine and the "Full Manufacturer service Brigade" out there that swear blind by Honda servicing can continue to pay over the odds. I'm sorry but 37K or 3yrs is not acceptable to me and the picture I posted of the filter I removed substantiates my views on it :rant:

#61 ·
Well.. based on that ^^---- I would have said that you would change the air filter, esp as modern day engines require cleaner air input to assist with better emissions output..

Had to check on my cars and I was amazed.. 3yrs, or 37K..

See attachment for 5yr service plan.

Attachments

#62 ·
I would have said that you would change the air filter, esp as modern day engines require cleaner air input to assist with better emissions output..

Had to check on my cars and I was amazed.. 3yrs, or 37K..

See attachment for 5yr service plan.
maybe they are working on the principle that if it's clogged that's less going in and less pollutant coming out >:)

#68 ·
I do 70 miles day round trip. going to work I get 78mpg, coming home 69mpg. This is Trip A. Always zero'd before my trip. Always fill up about 38-48 litres of fuel from Costco. Trip B usually reads about 68mpg.

Car gets serviced by honda every 12.5k miles. I used the Earth Dreams Oil. All original honda parts.

FYI, Car Mechanics April issue. Interesting read. Has covered the Honda Civic 1.6 iDTEC. There is an error in the article has confirmed by CM.
The battery in the 1.6 idtec when changed DOES NOT need to be coded to the car. However it does need to be a EFB battery.

#70 ·
So after yesterday of having 188miles trip in total and forcefully figuring out Cruise Control and using it 90% of the journey.

My MPG is now sitting at 46.6 at best yesterday, with just under 3/4 tank left. Still not as much as what some of u guys have said.

Yes I have checked on oil, tyre and brakes before setting off.

I have concluded that it has been my right foot being abit too heavy for my area due to lights, roundabouts and hills, I even tried CC on some places but it ended dropping down by 1ish MPG.

It has gotten better but I’m unsure what to do next or should I just be settled with these results now? [emoji848][emoji848]

#72 ·
So after yesterday of having 188miles trip in total and forcefully figuring out Cruise Control and using it 90% of the journey.

My MPG is now sitting at 46.6 at best yesterday, with just under 3/4 tank left. Still not as much as what some of u guys have said.

Yes I have checked on oil, tyre and brakes before setting off.

I have concluded that it has been my right foot being abit too heavy for my area due to lights, roundabouts and hills, I even tried CC on some places but it ended dropping down by 1ish MPG.

It has gotten better but I’m unsure what to do next or should I just be settled with these results now? [emoji848][emoji848]

46.6 out of your 1.8 petrol is pretty decent like! I get around average 40mpg.

Unless I haven't read all the posts righ and you;'re actually in a diesel then I apologise :lol:

#79 ·
I may be a bit late to the conversation, but if it helps I get about the same 280 to a tank with day to day driving to work which is heavy traffic (1 hour to do 15 miles), and a bit of heavy footing when the conditions allow. This has been around the same over the last 30,000 miles since I bought it, I rarely use the A/C, and change the oil every 7,500.
The most I’ve achieved is 420 from a tank on a round trip to London which was nearly all 72mph on cruise control. The in car mpg readout is usually about +10%, the highest readout on a trip i’ve seen is 50.5.

I’ve just changed the spark plugs, replaced the air filter from a pipercross panel filter, and cleaned the throttle body, reset them position sensor. This was gummed up from the oil on the filter. I’m sure it’s running better but not had chance to drive a couple of tanks to tell.

#80 ·
Do people actually only change oil and filter every x amount of miles as I got told every quarter year :S

TBF your mpg readings are nice compared to mine... so I must be doing summit wrong

I don’t know anymore [emoji85][emoji85]

#86 ·
I had my car fully serviced and noticed its MPG has gone up by 5, from 37 to 42 in my diesel. I used 0-30 Castrol FST oil and it had fuel filter changed with oil and air filters.
My previous oil changes didn't really make any difference. If the oil change is done properly could that make a great difference in mpg?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.