• 1 Post By cb550
  • 2 Post By WillG1995
  • 1 Post By Trev27
  • 2 Post By Das
  • 2 Post By Wilmo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 01:02 Thread Starter

Is it worth the cost?

Hi guys I'm new to this forum but just waned to get an opinion. I have owned 2007 honda civic type s gt 1.8 which I bought last year in August worth 97k on the clock which as of today is on 107k. Since I have bought the car I have spent money on replacing the front and rear brakes, discs, and anti roll bar. Around 600 in total. I have now found out after a service that I have to get the top mount replaced costing 150, clutch for 375, ac clutch wheel for 150, and rear discs for 100. Just wondering if it's worth spending money and if this is normal as this is only my second car in 2 years. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 07:42
Supporter

Garage
Good Morning, I suppose you have to weigh up how much it would cost to sell/trade in and loose on your current car due to the work being required and then how much on top you need to put towards another lower mileage car where you won't encounter this issues. Sometimes worth spending on the better the Devil you know!
A new clutch around 100K I wouldn't grumble at but I suspect you could get it done cheaper if you shop around. was that prices quoted by Honda? If so, do you need Honda to still be working on a 100k car? You need to ask yourself and will an independent be suffice?
Wilmo likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 11:51
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Would'nt say it's abnormal, but would also say it's not necessarily 'written in stone' everything needs doing you've been told does.

What's wrong with the clutch-is it slipping when you drive/accelerate? Regarding rear brake discs, they would have to be pretty deteriated to warrant an immediate replacement-are they badly scored, and/or is there a significant wear ridge around the outer circumference. Some wear is acceptable/inevitable. Does the a/c not work, thus requiring the work quoted.

Typically any car valued at say 8k+ might be expected to lose min. £1500/year. Your car perhaps £500/£800/year so really it's down to personal preference whether to have a newer car with greater yearly depreciation or an older car with possibly greater maintenace costs.
Wilmo likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 12:28

Car: '07 Type S 2.2 CDTi Silver
Am I the only one thinking those prices are pretty good? Does that include labour?

If you like the car I would tend to say better the devil you know.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Wilmo and Trev27 like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 12:37
Supporter

Car: 2010 Civic Si 2.2
Garage
Was thinking the same myself tbh

If your happy with the car, i would spend the money on it, if not, px it
Wilmo likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 13:33
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
£375 for a clutch seems cheap tbh, but as @cb550 says is it slipping? Id always take what garages say with a pinch of salt tbh. Nothign quite like making your own work for you.
Whats wrong with the AC clutch wheel? Most AC issues can be put down to AC Relay knackered, the shim behind the Clutch Wheel(pennies) or an AC recharge.
cb550 and Wilmo like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 18:37
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
Cars identical to yours retail on Autotrader at £3000.
There are 9 cars nationwide with higher mileage, the highest 158k priced at £1900.

How much do you reckon to spend to get these jobs done - £800.
If that's all they have found I'd keep it for a year and save hard for a replacement.
cb550 and johandesilva like this.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > General Discussion (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page