Diesel vs Petrol....stressing me out!! - Civinfo
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 19:35 Thread Starter

Diesel vs Petrol....stressing me out!!

So.....the search for my new car continues.

I'm starting to go slightly crazy I think!!

I want a 3 door civic type s. I just don't know now whether I want the petrol or diesel engine, I fancy a diesel but not sure if I a petrol would suit me better.

I don't have a big commute at all, I will occasionally go to Norwich and Devon (200 mile trips), I have a trailer that can weigh over a tonne at times. I also want to drive across Europe at some point!

Based on that what would you opt for? I don't want to get a diesel and then get stung by the clutch going and having to shell out several hundred quid for it.

I just quite like the idea of the torque from the diesel, plus if the clutch seemed fine potentially re-mapping it but that's very doubtful.

So many things running through my head!!! Someone speak some sense to me....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 19:49
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
Don't buy a car with the idea of remapping it... Just buy a faster car! Remapping never seems to quite work out without the odd issue, usually the clutch on Honda diesels.

Drive a 1.8 petrol and a 2.2 diesel to see what you prefer. I always liked the power delivery of the Honda 2.2, but they aren't problem-free! In contrast the 1.8 petrol is pretty bullet-proof, so I could only ever recommend that with a clear conscience.

Good luck in finding your dream car!
cb550, scaramanga, Farqui and 3 others like this.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 19:50
Clutch pedal guru

Petrol for complete piece of mind. Diesel can be reliable but you take the usual risks.
johandesilva likes this.

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 19:54
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
The good thing with the Civic diesel is there is no DPF. But then there is the worry of a cracked exhaust manifold. If your main worry is the clutch the last thing you want to be thinking about is a remap. But again a clutch is a wear and tear item, so could fail at any time, regardless if its petrol or diesel. Yes the rush of torque from a turbo diesel is infectious, but if your only doing short commutes you do not want a diesel, all thats going to happen is the EGR will get choked up as will the engine in general.
Personally im not a fan of diesels these days, they are just to complex. Unless you are doing a minimum of 15k a year the cons outweight the benefits of 60mpg every once in a blue moon.
cb550, Farqui and petethesparky like this.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 19:55
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
Don't buy a car with the idea of remapping it... Just buy a faster car! Remapping never seems to quite work out without the odd issue, usually the clutch on Honda diesels.

Drive a 1.8 petrol and a 2.2 diesel to see what you prefer. I always liked the power delivery of the Honda 2.2, but they aren't problem-free! In contrast the 1.8 petrol is pretty bullet-proof, so I could only ever recommend that with a clear conscience.

Good luck in finding your dream car!
I have to agree with Jon on all of that. I wish I had NEVER sunk any sort of money on modifying my 2.2. If you want something better buy a better car.
deni.babe, Jon_G, Farqui and 2 others like this.
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 20:01 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

This has really thrown a spanner into the works!!
I'm just worried that the mpg will spiral if I get my toe down, can the petrol be thirsty if driven too hard?
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 20:03
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
I have 2.2 diesel 181000 miles on original clutch
no contest if your a high miler
Trev27 likes this.
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 20:07
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harlington View Post
This has really thrown a spanner into the works!!
I'm just worried that the mpg will spiral if I get my toe down, can the petrol be thirsty if driven too hard?
Drive any car like its a Rental and MPG will suffer. Im showing 42.1 mpg average over the last 2500 miles in my 1.8. The low was 36 mpg during the beast from the east this year.
Farqui likes this.
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 20:47

Did 108k in 9 years in my 2.2. Original clutch, only changed oil, filters, brake pads and tyres. MPG was great, happy with my current mk9 and 10 diesels.
scaramanga likes this.
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 20:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I've been offered a 10 plate tiguan with 78K on it for 4,500 which is now tempting me, my head is scrambled!!
I don't think a tiguan would be great for my street cred mind!
What should I do 😕
I just need a decent all round vehicle
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das View Post
The good thing with the Civic diesel is there is no DPF. But then there is the worry of a cracked exhaust manifold. If your main worry is the clutch the last thing you want to be thinking about is a remap. But again a clutch is a wear and tear item, so could fail at any time, regardless if its petrol or diesel. Yes the rush of torque from a turbo diesel is infectious, but if your only doing short commutes you do not want a diesel, all thats going to happen is the EGR will get choked up as will the engine in general.
Personally im not a fan of diesels these days, they are just to complex. Unless you are doing a minimum of 15k a year the cons outweight the benefits of 60mpg every once in a blue moon.
Think I slipped up buying a 12 year old 2.2,only do 5000 miles a year ,to be fair after two years and mileage of 155k its still on original clutch and no issues-bit concerned about your mention of the EGR though!
But what a fantastic car the 8th generation is.
post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 21:30
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
Quote:
I've been offered a 10 plate tiguan with 78K on it for 4,500 which is now tempting me,
Eh? Jesus, at that price its either been an Arthur Tussik job, has outstanding finance on it, wound back or is stolen.
post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 21:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

It's a friend's parent that is selling it. She's getting a new tiguan and VW offered her 4.5K in part ex and she was happy with that so I'm quite tempted to have that.

Just have absolutely no idea what to do now
post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 21:38
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaney53 View Post
Think I slipped up buying a 12 year old 2.2,only do 5000 miles a year ,to be fair after two years and mileage of 155k its still on original clutch and no issues-bit concerned about your mention of the EGR though!
But what a fantastic car the 8th generation is.
No offence but I think people love to think of their cars being able to do 60 mpg, when the type of driving they do they will barely achieve half that and it doesn't warranty a diesel. Guy across the road just bought his son a 65 plate BMW116d. He works at Morrisons less than 2 miles away. Cant wait to see the isuees he has with the DPF/EGR.
An elderly neighbour bought a diesel Fusion to go to the same morrisons just for his shopping 5 times a week(got him out the house, hence why he went so often). Ok to be fair he never had an issue with it before he passed away but when your doing barely 15 miles a week you dont require a diesel in any shape form or fashion. TBH doing that sort of miles a week youd be cheaper overall with a Taxi.
nturnb, Farqui, Cravo and 3 others like this.
post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 21:41
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
Quote:
It's a friend's parent that is selling it. She's getting a new tiguan and VW offered her 4.5K in part ex and she was happy with that so I'm quite tempted to have that.

Just have absolutely no idea what to do now
Pffft its a no brainer then. Buy it, run it for a month, say it wasnt really for you and then sell it on and make about 2k.
Jon_G likes this.
post #16 of 87 (permalink) Old 13th November 2018, 23:43
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das View Post
An elderly neighbour bought a diesel Fusion to go to the same morrisons just for his shopping 5 times a week(got him out the house, hence why he went so often). Ok to be fair he never had an issue with it before he passed away but when your doing barely 15 miles a week you dont require a diesel in any shape form or fashion. TBH doing that sort of miles a week youd be cheaper overall with a Taxi.

My Mum's old car was a diesel (pre DPF), now got a petrol... but she does 1300 miles a year. Didn't fancy a DPF car.

The 2.2 Civic is fine if you do 3k a year, or 30k a year.... very versatile, you might need a clutch on a pre 2009 car... but that's it. Get a diesel, I've done 110k in mine, just shy of 100k on this clutch... it's brilliant.
Trev27 likes this.
post #17 of 87 (permalink) Old 14th November 2018, 04:22
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
There are quite a few councils who seem to be on the verge of hitting diesels with a surcharge for entering their town.

If you are likely to do that a lot or just don't want any surcharge then put that into the equation.
Jon_G and Farqui like this.
post #18 of 87 (permalink) Old 14th November 2018, 09:10
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
I do 25k per year so Diesel all the way for me. Current one has a DPF so if I ever change where I work to closer to home, it'll be a change back to petrol. Saying that, even new petrol motors coming out soon will be fitted with particulate filters.
Trev27 likes this.
post #19 of 87 (permalink) Old 14th November 2018, 10:36
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nturnb View Post
Saying that, even new petrol motors coming out soon will be fitted with particulate filters.
Think they have already started fitting GPF's, but I dont think there will be the same issues as petrol is a spirit and not a heavy oil like diesel is.
post #20 of 87 (permalink) Old 14th November 2018, 11:00
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
Have you bought that Tiguan yet?
Das likes this.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > General Discussion (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page