2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Cracked roof

7K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  Das 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

the roof of my 2006 honda civic se i-vtec has cracked, badly. I have tried searching around for any information or replacements but cannot find any relevant information at all! I was wondering if anyone here has experienced this at all, have any ideas on how I might go about fixing this and any advice that you have on what you would do in my situation or would advise me to do.

thanks.

(cannot post images because I am a noob)

#4 ·
I assume you mean a glass roof ?

I seem to recall a post, years ago, that said that it's made of glass thicker than the window glass and is quite expensive.

Find one in a breakers and get Autoglass to fit it ?

Also, what's the small print around insurance companies and non windscreen glass.

This should keep you going .... https://www.civinfo.com/forum/general-discussion-8g/70515-crack-panoramic-roof.html

Which reckons £700 + £450 fitting

#11 · (Edited)
That's weird. I wonder if it's over painted filler or does it go right through?
It seems to have cracked all the way through and has lifted, perhaps from water getting inside. You can also see that it is rusting inside from the rust streaks

Some more images (yay for my first 5 posts)
https://ibb.co/7RVvd0s
https://ibb.co/JRb5vfh

#19 ·
I almost don't want to :crying:

A good body shop will be able to give you a better idea of what's what on it.
I'll get in touch with some body shop guys and get them to take a look at it. I'll post an update when I know some more. Worst-case scenario, we get a good laugh out of such a shocking job.

thanks for your help guys

#29 ·
yeah i would be pretty hacked off too, but jeez thats bad, bodyshop who did it should be banned from working on cars.

For me depends on the extent of damage underneath and how it needed repaired in the first place.

Would need to know before i even bothered, but that amount of filler suggests it was extensive, if you want to fix to sell then fine but again for me, i would either get it done properly and say nowt or tidy up and i would feel compelled to mention it, because i would be gutted to buy and it happened again.

Is it not possible this is the scenario, glass roof was broken somehow, whichever way, accident or just plain old damage. The body shop could not get the new sunroof to fit bang on with the back and so filled it.

Or sunroof was fine but the rear part of the roof was damaged and i suppose filled to make level with the front sunroof, if this makes sense.

Either way there is no getting away from the fact its been done badly, no point saying otherwise, as mentioned take it to somewhere reputable and ask what their opinion is as far as if it can be fixed and how much.

If to expensive, sell on, move on but clearly this would significantly lower your resale price.

I would throttle any bodyshop that did that to mines.

#31 ·
I've previously said that I dont' know what to replace my current top of the range Civic MK9 Civic with because it is such a good car. Don't know for certain but I believe you have to take a glass rood with the latest models of this specification. This has convinced me to stay away from glass roofs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.