2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

EGR VALVE, non gen not available?

759 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  deni.babe 
#1 ·
Hi all, my aging civic, ready for the scrappy is hanging on in there I've now got an egr valve error message. Limp mode kicking in every other day. Some days clear but message always on. Just had a crazy 800 quote from Honda and I can't seem to locate non gen. Has anyone any ideas where they can be located?

Alternatively I guess clean it out and hope, I'm not overly confident with working on car but if it's relatively straight forward and anyone can provide a video link I could always try that.

I'm literally trying to part exchange it in so really want the cheapest option... Another angle... What happens if I just keep driving it? Apart from getting overtaken by lorries going up hill!!

Thanks

#3 ·
I'd follow this guide and clean the valve... https://www.civinfo.com/forum/how-guides-only-8g/72471-how-clean-remove-fk3-2-2-diesel-egr-valve.html

But don't obsess about cleaning the pipework feeding the valve, as long as it's not blocked and the valve can open/close without sticking then the job's a good 'un. Ideally you need to apply a vacuum to the valve actuator after cleaning to ensure that it functions correctly and then also check that the vacuum bellows can hold a vacuum for an extended period. I'd recommend a vacuum bleeder for doing this, one with a built-in vacuum gauge. It's actually @hondacivicnut who is the expert on testing EGR valves in this manner, as my Accord had a far superior electric EGR valve that was more resistant to soot build-up.

The good news is that the valves hardly ever need replacing, a good clean almost always brings about a 100% improvement!

Driving around with a blocked valve will not cause harm.

#4 ·
Hahaha, I don't know about expert. I used a vacuum brake bleeder, pump it to negative pressure and leave it there for 30mins, the egr shouldn't lose vacuum at all.

When the vacuum is released, the valve should move SMOOTHLY back to the closed position. Try this a few times to make sure it's not sticking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.