2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Roof rust

7K views 58 replies 20 participants last post by  Hipwell 
#1 ·
Hey guys

Just got my sapphire blue fn2 and obviously it's got roof rust.

Out of experience, what's the best way of tackling this with Honda? It seems some people get it done and others don't. I have part Honda service history, which obviously isn't ideal.

Do I start by ringing Honda or going down to the dealers and get them to initiate the complaint with Honda?

#3 ·
I went to one dealership, basically told they weren't interested and wouldn't entertain the idea (mine is a 2011 and had literally just started)
I ended up going to the actual Honda approved bodyshop and the manager kindly sorted it for me through another dealership. Iirc I think he said the cost of doing the roof through him was something like £370, but don't quote me on that!

#4 ·
Having just had mine done and I suggest you go to Honda customer contact centre on 0845 200 8000 explain the situation and ask for a reference no once you have that get them to suggest a dealership near you to get it inspected and photographed quoting your reference no they will get back to Honda UK and with any luck they will approve it by the way i had full service history not all Honda ! on a 09 ctr good luck

#9 ·
Dohh,,,following on from this discussion, i had a very close look at mine and there are indeed some very minor signs of this issue. My car is an 09 plate and has barely done 50k miles ! Strange as the seal seems quite flexible and soft. You can press on it and it easily gives way. I bought the car from a Honda main dealer maybe 5 years back but it doesnt have SH since then. I've emailed a Honda body shop that i have previously used just to gather some info on the issue.

To me this is an inherent/manufacturing/assembly fault and has nothing much to do with SH and warranty.

Does anyone have a copy of an original document from HUK ie a service bulletin highlighting this issue please?

I bet a claim in the small claims court would win..

#10 ·
Well I just took it down to Honda having booked a slot. They took the photos etc and explained they would forward to Honda who will decide.

She did have a copy of the service bulletin which shows the the warranty is extended by a further 3 years to cover this fault, which obviously any fn2 will now be well out of, so I'm not sure how people are still getting this authorised for free!

Fingers crossed, but she didn't seem to enthusiastic that it's get authorised.

#22 ·
Update.

Had a call from honda UK today, they told me that they have told Stoneacre to submit a warranty claim under goodwill gesture.

Stoneacre called me, he said that I've got to goto their chosen bodyshop, get a paint depth scan and quote done, take my service history down to Honda dealership and they will submit the new claim.

But the guy at the dealers said he thinks they won't accept it due to not been full honda history, but the woman on the phone from honda UK basically said they are now waiting on the figures to come through fr honda and they will then accept the claim

So I'm not sure how I feel at the minute!

#24 ·
My thinking exactly tbh!

The lady from honda UK seemed really positive, she said they had advised the dealer about the 6 year thing but had agreed a goodwill so fingers crossed!

I'd be happy even if it meant a part goodwill gesture and I had to pay 250 towards

#26 ·
Still waiting for Stoneacre and the body shop to pull their fingers out and send the relevant stuff over to Honda UK.

Honda called me on Friday to say that the dealership and the body shop had filled in the incorrect forms and he would be contacting them to send the correct stuff.

The Honda approved body shop I was sent to didn't want to know, it was hard work even getting him to take the photos, I'd be surprised if he even actually did an accurate quote

#28 ·
Customer services rang me again yesterday.

Stoneacre had told him my car was in the paint shop waiting for a quote, I said nah mate it's in the carpark at work, I went to the body shop 3 weeks ago for the quote.

So he rang them back, they told him oh actually no we are waiting for the quote from the body shop.

He rang me again, told me, I said they told me they got the quote 2 weeks ago and were waiting for a form lol.

He rang them again and asked *** basically, they said it's the body shop.

So he rang me back and said he would contact the body shop himself, that was today and that's the last I heard.

The guys at Honda UK really do seem nice, I'm almost at the point of asking him if I can get a quote myself from a chosen body shop and deal with Honda UK directly.

Piss poor service from the body shop and Stoneacre. Part of me thinks Stoneacre are reluctant to submit the claim as they were adamant from day 1 the claim would not be accepted

#30 ·
I had to take mine back down to the body shop today for a paint depth scan on every panel as the dealer sent them the wrong paperwork.

Can't see what difference that makes, it's had a front end respray, as have most civics due to the poor soft paint.

Out of interest what year and mileage is your civic?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.