• 1 Post By hondacivicnut
  • 1 Post By lightningslow
  • 3 Post By cheekee

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th September 2019, 16:04 Thread Starter

Car: 2.2 i-ctdi ES Silver
181k - repair or replace?

Hi Guys

My '59 2.2 iCDTI ES has just run past 181k miles, mostly by me (last 164k) and generally motorway. It's still in pretty good shape but has a couple of issues:

- aircon : completely dead, started failing last summer and nothing at all this summer (tried Halfords, Kwiqkit etc and it's not gassing, they both said main dealer)

- central locking : front and rear passenger doors failed completely in locked position (not at the same time), boot and drivers door now going the same way (tip, if the actuator fails in the locked position you can shake/bounce it loose if you find a really bad road/speed bump - I freed up both of mine and took them straight in which saves the interior trim)

- clutch pedal squeaks horribly when released, local garage lubricated on both sides which worked for about 1 day, I read somewhere this is a prelude to major problems?

Pretty much everything else is original (exhaust (loud but still passing MOT), bearings, suspension, engine, clutch, gearbox) - the only big job was the rear discs which was my fault for pretending to be Colin McRae when driving in Wales.

I can't do another summer without aircon (which could get expensive if it's the compressor), pretty sure I'm going to be forking out the central locking and think the clutch is on its way out(?). So the question is has anyone else had similar issues on a high miler, does it just become a money pit from here on in? Main dealer seems to want 120 to investigate each issue (last time I told them just to skip the investigation and replace the door actuator, which worked).

Any advice welcome, don't think there is much value in the car at this mileage and faults?

Cheers
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th September 2019, 17:19
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
9 times out of ten the AC fault is either the relay or the shim behind the clutch on the condenser. Which to repair yourself is an hour or so work and 20 for the relay and a washer. Start with the relay as its easy to change. BTW the main dealer WONT tell you about the shim issue, they will want you to change the compressor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Condi...d6bc8cabfab05e

M10 x16 shim

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-1mm-THI...nYTvbphx9unn2w

As far as keep it or replacing the car it only you can decide tbh.
Lukey96 likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th September 2019, 17:23
Supporter

Car: 58 2.2, Black ; 09 CTR, Red
I have a 2.2 EX on 146K, remapped on stage 2 and apart from the clutch (obviously this had to be replaced anyway), the air con and the actuators are the only real failings. Replaced all 4 actuators (got mine from Parts gateway). The aircon cost me a few hundred at local garage for new compressor but apart rom usual stuff such as brakes, tyres it is fine. One question, why would you ever go to a Main Dealer? Find a good independent and use them, it will a hell of a lot cheaper! Personally, id fix the aircon and replace the actuators.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th September 2019, 17:25
Supporter

Car: 58 2.2, Black ; 09 CTR, Red
As stated above the relay is often the culprit. I replaced both of mine anyway. Never tried the shim trick but lots have done it on here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th September 2019, 18:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencavanagh View Post
One question, why would you ever go to a Main Dealer? Find a good independent and use them, it will a hell of a lot cheaper!
Thanks for replying!

I do normally use a local garage, they're generally pretty good and trustworthy (and if there is a cheaper solution to what the main dealer would do they'd suggest it). But they aren't set up to do aircon, they recommended somewhere else but they just do gassing so I was running out of options. I'll give them a ring and ask if they can do the shim and relay fix.

As for the door actuators once I'd told the main dealer to skip the diagnostic and just replace it was on a 30 minute charge and the parts. That was for the rear door, seem to remember the front door was a lot more expensive when I has it done a few years ago.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th September 2019, 18:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das View Post
9 times out of ten the AC fault is either the relay or the shim behind the clutch on the condenser. Which to repair yourself is an hour or so work and 20 for the relay and a washer. Start with the relay as its easy to change. BTW the main dealer WONT tell you about the shim issue, they will want you to change the compressor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Condi...d6bc8cabfab05e

M10 x16 shim

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-1mm-THI...nYTvbphx9unn2w

As far as keep it or replacing the car it only you can decide tbh.
Cheers, I'll ask my local garage if they can change them - getting to old for crawling around under cars myself!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th September 2019, 19:05 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the replies guys, any idea what I would be looking to repair the clutch if it went?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 24th September 2019, 23:20
Clutch pedal guru

REPAIR!!!!!!
goldstar0011 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 25th September 2019, 10:15
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift 5DR
yu sire you don't have a busted condenser as this would be magnitudes cheaper to replace then the compressor.

If you had it gassed, then you must have the receipt showing how much was taken out of it to begin with. If its a big fat 0 then you've got a leak and its usually that.

clutch squeak is usually just the cylinder and that can be fixed with some automotive grade lithium grease. Line the carpets while you squirt some into the cylinder and pump it a few times until it basically goes away. Apply more grease until it starts to come out when you press the clutch and then wipe it away.

central locking, plenty of breakers around to get new mechs from low mileage donors.

Clutch is gone if it slips, then its usually a new DMF and a new clutch. trick is to get it done before it gets to that stage.
Farqui likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 25th September 2019, 12:38 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Re the aircon: Last summer it would work fine for 10 minutes or so then fail completely (like it had just been switched off) - sometimes it would last longer, I think it depended on ambient temperature and engine temperature. I initially took it to be gassed but Halfords said their machine showed an error, possibly a blockage so they couldn't do the gassing. Next I tried KwikFit, apparently the aircon worked fine (engine cold at idle) for about 30 minutes before cutting out again. This year however it never came on at all, so whatever was failing when it heated up last year is completely shot now. I nothing of how aircon works (or doesn't in my case) bit local garages don't seem to want to touch it.

Re the clutch: it isn't slipping, I'll try the grease - I have had it done and worked for a day or too so maybe it just needs some more.

Cheers!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 30th September 2019, 13:57
Supporter

Car: 2008 - TypeS-GT Milano Red
For me it's about how much you like the car.

My car is far from perfect but it's cheaper to run and repair than fund a new car, I've got a number of repairs, some sorted, Aircon like yours, hopefully just sorted a steering click, new door card and whatever the next MOT throws at me soon.

Personally your issues are minor and can be sorted over time.

Good luck
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 1st October 2019, 18:42

Car: 2007 2.2 CDTI Civic Type S
Hard to find a good quality car to last you a while under 5,000.

Personally I'd stick with the car you know, a lot of people selling 2,000 cars have noticed something wrong and want shot nine times out of ten.

Like my 2,500 Civic CDTI, has a 1,000 repair needed to the exhaust manifold. But in reality it'll cost me about 500, by sourcing used parts.

I personally don't use AirCon, so couldn't really care if it didn't work.

Just keep on top of your oil changes which should be about every 7,000 miles. And watch out for any loss of oil & it should see you good until 200-250K miles, or at least until you have some good money put down for a newer one.

Last edited by Lukey96; 1st October 2019 at 18:44.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 1st October 2019, 22:52
Supporter

Car: 2011 Type S GT-T
Garage
I got a Nissens air con compressor from autodoc for 158 and paid 120 for a fit and regas.

If its the compressor worth thinking about as much cheaper than a honda one or a second hand breaker.

Air con is ice cold and just as good as it was. Compressor is OEM quality and 2 year warranty.

Hopefully replacing the relay might work.
Farqui, lightningslow and The_b3st like this.

Last edited by cheekee; 2nd October 2019 at 02:07.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > General Discussion (8G)

Tags
aircon , clutch , locking , mileage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page