2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1.6 dtec DFP problem or not?

32K views 51 replies 20 participants last post by  D_Fizzle 
#1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing a civic but am unsure which model to get.
I drive about 8000 miles a day and daily commute is about 6 mins on dual carriage each way to work and 4 mins in stop go traffic. I currently have an old cicc 1.6 vtec and its great but the 1.6dtec is appealing due to mpg and free road tax. The issue I have is that as i dont do many miles per year and I may get problems with the DFP which I believe is expensive to repair?
Any advice please?:confused:

#2 ·
8000 miles a day - should justify a diesel with that!!

Seriously - I doubt you would justify the additional cost of a diesel doing £8K per year - numbers are fairly easy to do.

If you look at the genuine expected mpg (not that quoted in the sales guff).
Genuine figs are all arguable but if the diesel does say 60mpg @ £140p/lr then it is going to cost you 10.5p/ml for fuels

A petrol car at 45 mpg @ £135p/lt will cost 13.5p/ml

at 8000 per year you will save £240/year in fuel - but the car will cost you more to buy and service (but will also retain part of that additional cost at trade in time). - you can do your own sums to suit

As for the PDF issue - I have no experience of this in Honda's yet but diesel usually need a decent run now and again - your motorway mileage MIGHT be sufficient if it is free flowing

#8 · (Edited)
Its not the yearly milage which is the main issue.
The mian problem is the short journeys.
I dotn know about the 1.6 but the 2.2 takes 20mins or more to reach operating temp.
Only at operating temp will the engine run properly and clean itself out provided you aren't gentle.

The kind of short journeys you are talking about could be very very bad for a diesel with dpf as you suspect.

That's said I have never really heard of DPF issues with the 2.2 idtec or euro iCDTi.
There have been oil level rising issues which need an eye on...but there isn't a whole host of DPF replacement threads.
So in that aspect the Honda appears really good from that point of view.
Note the 1.6 is also and complete redesign...much lighter..much less friction..may use less oil and warm up much quicker.

Personally....I would never buy another diesel due to them using a dpf.
The UK iCDTi 8th gen don't have dpf.

#11 ·
seems a pretty contradictory post!! first you say the short journeys will be bad for a diesel with DPF, then you say you have never heard of a 2.2 diesel with DFPF issues!

Not meaning to slag you off but mixed messages don't help any one

#12 · (Edited)
The 1.6 has 250 lb ft torque so will accelerate like the 2.2 at low rpm but run out of puff at high rpm.
But.....the 1.6 is much much lighter...100kg so should have better power to weight, handling and braking than the older heavier diesels.
The 1.8 should be similar weight to the 1.6 but requires staying in gear and using the full rpm range to get the best from it.
So the 1.6 is more of a eco cruiser with good easy power on tap..but will run out of puff pushing on.
The 1.8 is still very economical car....but you have to work it more and approach redline to get best performance.

Depends on the owner really I guess.

#15 ·
Coudlnt say mate.
Ive seen some return 60mpg on the dash on a good run.
Seems to be on a par with the 2.2 diesel MPG in most areas except eco motorway cruising.
2.2 Diesel sees around 38 in winter around town.
Summer its closer to 42+ heavy town use.
The 1.8 guys will fill in any blanks where they are concerned.

#17 ·
If you're only doing 8k miles a year, a diesel engine doesn't really pay for itself for quite a while. You should go with a petrol.

I got my diesel because my commute alone is 72 miles per day, that adds up to 1,656 miles per average month on commute alone, not including social and leisure. So since I get close to 20k miles per year, the diesel was the sensible option for me.

#19 ·
The 1.8 Civic should feel similar, power wise. Bit more power but a bit more weight.

#20 ·
I use this website to record my motoring costs and the search facility can be use to find real world mpg figures - since users are recording actual fuel used and mileages it is as accurate as you will get - Advanced search - Spritmonitor.de

Honest John also allows you to search "real" mpg's but there is no control over whether users are real figures or those from the On Board Computer. OBC's tend to be optimistic but I believe the Civics is not too far out. Real MPGs | Honest John

Honest John puts the 1.6 Dtec at 63.3 mpg and the poof powered 1.8 at 41.4 mpg

#28 · (Edited)
Honest John puts the 1.6 Dtec at 63.3 mpg
My trip computer is currently telling me I'm averaging 63.7, so yeah sounds about right...

edit=
i have a massive 3 mile journey to work
Only 3 miles? I would cycle that if my commute was the same. My office however is 36 miles from home...

#22 ·
You dont do the mileage required to justify the expense of diesel fuel and the additionation servicing costs for a diesel, your style of diving would also potentially leave you open to issues with the DPF system. That said, whereas most diesels systems have the DPF filter near the end of the exhaust, away from the engine, Hondas is smack bang next to it near the manifold, much hotter and therefore regenerating much more often and much quicker on the heat up cycle. I'm currently drivinga 1.6 iDTEC and i have a massive 3 mile journey to work. 5,000 miles down the lines and not an issue with the dpf at all.

#23 ·
I have the 2.2 Diesel and my commute is basically the same as OP. I have a 20 minute run to work 1/2 of which would be on 'A' roads. Not sure if the 8G differs much from the 9G 2.2 but warmup takes far less than 20 minutes. In this weather it take sub 5 minutes, and in winter it took up to 15. This is obiovusly on the guage, so i cannot be sure of actual temperature.

I picked the 2.2 as i was sick of having my pants pulled down by the DVLA for tax on my FN2, and we needed a reliable family car for our recent baby girl. I do roughly 19 miles a day commute, but now we have a great motorway car for going on holiday with plenty of room inside. We went to Bude earlier on in the year and it was great, plenty of power when i needed it and returned 55+ mpg (wasn't hanging about either! ;) :police:)

#26 ·
Mouse over DPF and it'll tell you ;) When things are underlined they do this, like FRS CW LSD

#39 ·
We have had no problems with 1.6 DPF but a couple of 2.2 have had a regen. the good thing about the 1.6 is that the DPF Filter is very high up in the manifold so you get the heat off the engine aswell as the exhaust. the stupid thing is that 1.6 is so clean it did not require a DPF filter but the laws say we must :-(

Reactions: NH Dan
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.