Civic 8G 2.2 EX vs Civic 9G EX 2.2 GT - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 14:20 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2013 2.2 EX GT (WOP)
Civic 8G 2.2 EX vs Civic 9G EX 2.2 GT

Ok so I've had my 9G ex GT 2.2 (OW) MY 2013 since around 10th July and since I had my previous 8G for a little over 4 years I have noticed some considerable differences; some for the good and one or two not so good improvements.
When it was being unloaded off the trailer outside my home, I couldn't wait to jump in and check out the new revised enterprise. It looked good, hey it even felt good but I'll get the small niggly negatives out the way on the 9G first. And please... I am no car expert just a mere end user and some of you may have answers to a few questions I have along the way. The niggles are petty but with a little thought would of made my driving life a little easier.
1. Why persist in keeping the fuel release lever in the drivers foot well? Surely an improved button to match the surrounding of the dash in a more accessible place would suit better? Maybe in the centre sliding console? Or by the steering column or gear stick?

2. I've synced my phone book with the HDD system but surely there has to be a better way to search for a phone number other than using the (ABC) (DEF) etc and having to scroll... with at least 600 contacts synced (don't quote me on the number but it's big) having to scroll is a real pain. A search feature on the software would be very welcome.

3. Auto Lights: Always used the feature on my 8G but with this model it seems more sensitive, the slightest shadow and your straight onto dipped headlights. Pass under a couple of tree shadows on the road and your switched to night mode. I recall my 8G was a little more tolerant to a slight lack of light.

4. Although I haven't yet covered the entire manual for the HDD, can you only upload music to the HDD via CD?

5. Question on key less entry: If I open the drivers door first, how can I unlock all doors without the need to open the passenger door first? Currently I unlock the driver's door by pulling on the handle and then need to place something on the back seat but need to get the fob out to unlock it (pain in the ass); am i missing something here? Yes, Yes I'm sure I need to read more in the manual but thought someone might know.

6. Another Honda with no spare wheel, just the dreaded gunk which to date (touching wood) I've never needed to use: why not use run flat tyres?
Spare wheel and too kit ordered from Honda (on company card)

7. No more air con in the glove box which I will miss and this kept my cans of drink nicely chilled on warm days.
Positives:

I love the car, it's not only a "refined version" a term so many reviews used in their write ups; it's a whole NEW Honda Civic.

The moment you touch the door handle to unlock the vehicle and pull to open, it has a suitably quality feel to it.

You jump in & sit on the leather seats and your cuddled by a beautifully surrounding dashboard making the driver feel more connected with the car.

The materials used far exceed those of the 8G with soft linings both on the dash and the doors which can only mean less rattles as time goes by.
It feels good, it looks great.

What's that; I-Mid tells me to Clutch in and push the start button.... I like this. Although I have found the option to turn this off as I'm sure it will become annoying however I'll leave it on for a while, just to show off this touch of quality as passengers get in the car.

Clutch in and a touch of the old favorite red start button commences the immediate electrical starter system and turns the car into a purring kitten.

Yes the red starter button on the 8G was a gimmick as you still needed the key but works very as it should do in a key less environment.
Up pops the standard OK button to acknowledge the Sat Nav cant be held responsible for you driving like an idiot or deciding to drive off a cliff coz Sat Nav told you to.

And up pops the map (after a little place configuration) Not sure about this one; I "personally" feel the map could be of a little better quality and offer the option of both 3D view and street view when searching for places but for my needs it suits me well. I also would like to see an internet connection coming up a future model allowing for more scope when searching for places.

Connect the iPhone, simple. Synchronize the phone book from my phone, excellent. Sort out the speed dials and voice tags.... great. Works well and I love the fact you can browse your phone's recent called list, missed calls and received calls. Very nice touch that comes in very handy.

One point on the telephone speed dial and I am sure someone will correct me. If you manually add a number to the speed dial: because for some reason its not in my phone book, it puts the phone number only into the slot you desire but I can't find the area where you add a name to this? Again have I missed something?
Make a phone call to work, quality is great (of course it is, its a quieter engine)

Sound system: Set up all the DAB channels, programmed all my favorites. Simple enough to do. Set up FM channels just in case DAB loses reception Dependant on my location.

Place a few items in the centre storage area: Gum and sunglasses in the sun glasses holder (naturally)

Sub Woofer in the boot sounds ok, make some sound adjustments, plug in my USB and away we go.

Seats feel great, it was a hot day so air con on. Delivered with half a tank of fuel and 8 miles on the clock. A gentle push on the roof switch and she opens up adding more sun light to the car giving it a sense of openness.
Best place to get to know my car initially was the M25 just off of Junction 9. Taking it easy with econ mode turned on getting to know the lighting system etc.

Its a whole new drive compared to my 8G. Smoooooth is the only word to describe the drive. Sure I am sure other makes can beat this but compared to the 8G it feels like a complete transformation. Seats are comfortable (leather) with electric lumbar support.

Engine Nice is minimal in comparison and you don't need to dodge cats eyes or the smallest road blemish anymore...hooray free driving now due to the liquid filled suspension. The days of driving over a cats eye giving the feeling you'd curbed the car are now a thing of the past.

Turn of Echo Mode and tempt the throttle.... whoosh she's off... and still going.... and still going. The gear shift is beautiful, from the feel of the gear knob to the physical movement of the shift, it is poetry.

Acceleration does have less pull than my 8G but it's early days and she needs a few more miles on the clock. Although I am sure this wont change much. Don't get me wrong, the pull on this thing is great but I think they've opted for the smoother arrival to warp speed as opposed to the immediate hyper jump to warp speed from my 8G. But what do I know!? Also my place of work has it's own large internal road system with a lot of speed bumps which in my 8G I could easily negotiate in second gear however I am currently having to move to 1st gear when leaving the speed bumps, she moans for a needy change when trying to pull away in second gear.

Add my home to the Sat Nav and check out how this works.... yep it works, turn my turn instructions pop up on the i-mid, loving it.
Work calls on the mobile while I'm in the junction 15 area.... didn't take the call.
Scroll through all music on the attached 8GB usb stick, all good. I have noticed it sometimes takes a while to show all song information on the Audio screen from the USB but not so it's unbearable. Perhaps this is due to the 8GB storage size.

Check out the music on my iPhone via bluetooth, yep streams well, sound quality is great.

Steering is light... but is it too light or luxuriously light?> I took the car round some quiet A roads and threw it round the corners which I have to say the Civic took these with easy, very little lean and great throttle feedback out of the corners.
But steering is a little less fun than it used to be when you were in a hurry in the 8G. This however wont bother me too much considering all the vast improvements made in this version.

The auto headlight beams work very well at night and I haven't beaten them yet, even when heading towards the dimmest of street lamps it picks these up. Other than what I mentioned earlier in this post, works well.
I was looking for the ambient blue lighting at night... it's on the doors only. A faint blue light is emitted from the bottom of the drivers and passenger doors when opened and also the inner front door pockets are faintly lit in blue when driving at night.

Boot space on this model and been marginally compromised due to the sub woofer on the right side (as you look in from the rear). I noted this when trying to get the kids push chair in the boot. Had to realign one of its wheels slightly to fit in but no drama.

Reversing Camera is great and if you spend a few minutes with it, can be mastered to be very effective saving any scrapes on your alloys. Hooray front parking sensors finally as when driving the Civic has no bonnet. I have these on all the time and they only really become a pain if the engine is in stop start mode at lights etc and someone walks in front of me / or cyclists.

Rear view out of the vehicle is again marginally improved but just getting used to the darker tinted rear windscreen.
I have lost count how many times I have parked the car up,, auto stop comes on and I get out of the car to leave... thankfully the external audible bleep reminds me I have switched the engine off... or basically the fob is out of range from the car.

On another note, you can take the key less fob away from the car which will then alert you to the above but the engine still continues to run..... whats that all about?

I'm still working out the Trip Information on the main HDD screen but to date I've done around 650 miles averaging 49.1 MPG however these are only 20 minute A & B road trips to work with only some clear road driving here and there.

The first weekend I gave her a gentle sponge clean (was a little dirty) and noticed a small chip in the rear tail gate (inside a join) but Honda are sorting this today as we speak Along with something that has become loose in the tail gate. Perhaps a small clip or something because it rattles around when you open and close the boot lid.

Overall I love this car, from opening the door to jumping in and starting her up. The toys are much improved together with the overall drive and materials used to build this model. It's less of a strain to drive and very comfortable.

A few more miles and I will probably find things to moan about but I'm in a happy place right now all things considered. I personally would be much happier if the initial items I listed were perhaps improved such as the filler release leaver but I knew all these things when I bought the car... most things.

I've been reacquainted with the excited feeling I got when I first stepped into my old ex 8G, but after a while this turned into a (oh not another hard ride feeling), Like others in this forum with 9G's, I'm sure my initial excitement with last for a while yet...

Civinfo Sticker going in the rear this weekend.
Thank You to Daniel19thfeb from 4 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 14:59
"Boards don't hit back"

Nice write up mate, I have an 8G 2.2 ex so its nice to read a comparison, overall sounds like an improvement with the natural little niggles that im sure in time you won't notice. Good luck with it and enjoy. ...check gers write up, he has some nice little mods he has done to his 9G.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 15:04 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash7893 View Post
Nice write up mate, I have an 8G 2.2 ex so its nice to read a comparison, overall sounds like an improvement with the natural little niggles that im sure in time you won't notice. Good luck with it and enjoy. ...check gers write up, he has some nice little mods he has done to his 9G.

Cheers, can you supply a link to it?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 15:07
"Boards don't hit back"

Will dig it out mate

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 15:13
"Boards don't hit back"

Gers 9G

Here you go mate.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/gallery-9g/100254-gs-9g.htmtruel

Last edited by Ash7893; 24th July 2013 at 15:15.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 15:23 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash7893 View Post
Here you go mate.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/gallery-9g/100254-gs-9g.html
I've also looked at yaledoor.co.uk so I dont need to go ito my pocket for my house key.... Keyless front door entry system on order very soon.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 15:29
"Boards don't hit back"

Would be handy after a night out that's for sure!!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 15:34
Supporter

Thanked 1,035 Times in 1,016 Posts
Nice write up mate the key less entry is good but as you say if you open the drivers door first the others stay closed unless you double press the key fob but if you don't want to do this then press the unlock button on the driver side door which will allow you to open all doors or I usually open the boot of the car and all doors will unlock
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 15:37
Supporter

Car: RK13 Civic G9 5dr Blue
I've only got the ES, so can't really relate to most of the features you're talking about.
However I definitely hear you about the fuel cap lever. Bit of a silly place to put it in my opinion too. It's not like they can't fit another button on the dash somewhere. Also with it being down there next to the bonnet release lever, there has been a couple of embarrassing moments of arriving in the forecourt of the petrol station and pulling the wrong lever...

Also, to point 5, isn't there a button on the inside driver door handle that unlocks all the doors? Mines got one, but I don't have keyless fob so it might be different for you. I just click the unlock button on the keyfob once to open the driver door and twice to unlock all of them.

EDIT= gah, Gp_kho beat me to it...

Last edited by Basinga; 24th July 2013 at 15:40.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 15:42
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
I've looked at the niggles list and you're right with the ones that apply to my EX model.

The fuel release is still positioned for a contortionist

The phonebook usage isn't as good as it could be. I transferred all my contacts with a view to then deleting the ones I don't need in the car but I can't find a way of deleting individual ones.

With this new suspension setup I wonder if run flat's would be OK? I'm a lover of floppy suspension and the 9G is more to my liking than the 8G. As well as the suppleness it's also nowhere near as noisy over the cobbles.

I wouldn't bother with the HDD for music, the USB option is better. The HDD doesn't progress to the next album like USB but just keeps playing the same one till you manually select the next one, unless I've missed a trick?

All in all I think Honda have done wonders with this model but one visual area and possibly the RRP are putting people off.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 15:49 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gp_kho View Post
Nice write up mate the key less entry is good but as you say if you open the drivers door first the others stay closed unless you double press the key fob but if you don't want to do this then press the unlock button on the driver side door which will allow you to open all doors or I usually open the boot of the car and all doors will unlock
I'm told on carr setup you can have the lock / unlock system programmed to unlock all doors or just driver door when the fob is near the drivers door.... When I collect my car later from honda who are correcting a couple of faults, I'll ask then.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 15:52 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Oh and the maps are in much need of an update... I also notice it doesn't display small road names as the 8G used to.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 17:17
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gp_kho View Post
I wish they enable the menu in the i-mid that US Civics have which allows you to configure the door unlocking behavior. i.e unlock drivers door only or all.

In fact it would have been nice to have more options in there to configure the care (DRLs on/off, date on clock screen)
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 24th July 2013, 17:18
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel19thfeb View Post
I'm told on carr setup you can have the lock / unlock system programmed to unlock all doors or just driver door when the fob is near the drivers door.... When I collect my car later from honda who are correcting a couple of faults, I'll ask then.
Hmmm

Maybe this has changed on the 2013's?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 25th July 2013, 08:05
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
My 2013 is:

Single keyfob press unlocks the drivers door
Second press unlocks all the others
Third prolonged press folds the mirrors

Now I would have programmed it to open all doors on a single press ala 8G.

And then after a suitable time period auto lock any door that hadn't been opened.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 25th July 2013, 09:51
Race Taxi Pilot

Nice review, but I have to ask...

Why would you want the fuel release lever moving? It isn't in constant use (especially in the diesel) and moving it to the dash could cause accidental activation, if you confused it with another control. Fine where it is (as with a lot of other cars).

You are dead right about the huge difference in refinement and quality compared to the 8th gen, though. This is evident as soon as you get in and shut the door (reassuring thud). The two really are chalk and cheese on the road, too. The 8th gen feels quite rough around the edges, especially when you drive the two back to back.

Sadly, at the end of the day, I just can't look past the awkward exterior proportions and aesthetics - in particular, the rear end.

It just don't look right, no matted how much I slice and dice it.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 25th July 2013, 09:57 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0d View Post
Nice review, but I have to ask...

Why would you want the fuel release lever moving? It isn't in constant use (especially in the diesel) and moving it to the dash could cause accidental activation, if you confused it with another control. Fine where it is (as with a lot of other cars).

You are dead right about the huge difference in refinement and quality compared to the 8th gen, though. This is evident as soon as you get in and shut the door (reassuring thud). The two really are chalk and cheese on the road, too. The 8th gen feels quite rough around the edges, especially when you drive the two back to back.

Sadly, at the end of the day, I just can't look past the awkward exterior proportions and aesthetics - in particular, the rear end.

It just don't look right, no matted how much I slice and dice it.
IMO I think the back of mine looks great especially in white, it is different and stands out but yes it will always be a marmite design.

As for the fuel cap lever, does any other make of car have this in the same position. The only reason I moan about it's position is that Honda have clearly spent time on the refinement but the fuel lever just doesn't fit with this modern vehicle's design. It would also be nice to have a voice command for the opening of it...

And because your not using it often you do look before pulling it as it is by the bonnert release. As I said, it wont change my overall opinion of the car but small tweaks here and there (I feel) would make a great difference.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 25th July 2013, 10:46

Car: 2012 Civic 1.8, White Pearl
Try and remember the fuel cap button is on the top and bonnet bottom and it will work out ok
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 25th July 2013, 10:57 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloom View Post
Try and remember the fuel cap button is on the top and bonnet bottom and it will work out ok
But I have the lazy man's key-less vehicle... having to bend down before getting out of the car to fill up adds unnecessary effort on my part and seems to "manual" in what seems to be an effortless vehicle. God that sounds really lazy but so much so, I actually dont even want to have to reach for my house keys attached to my car fob when getting out of the car into my home so I've ordered a key less front door for my house.

Someone mentioned earlier that if the lever was turned into a button on the dash somewhere, you might push it by mistake whilst driving.... NOT SO as the filler cap would only be able to be opened via this new button when the vehicle is NOT in motion.

If a small design feature can make our lives easier, I'm all for it.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 25th July 2013, 11:03
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8 EX GT Man Alabaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel19thfeb View Post
IMO I think the back of mine looks great especially in white, it is different and stands out but yes it will always be a marmite design.

As for the fuel cap lever, does any other make of car have this in the same position. The only reason I moan about it's position is that Honda have clearly spent time on the refinement but the fuel lever just doesn't fit with this modern vehicle's design. It would also be nice to have a voice command for the opening of it...

And because your not using it often you do look before pulling it as it is by the bonnert release. As I said, it wont change my overall opinion of the car but small tweaks here and there (I feel) would make a great difference.
I am slightly disabled and find the fuel cap lever impossible. I have to stop at the pumps, get out then kneel down on the forecourt so as to reach the lever. I just can't get to it sitting in the seat. Why couldn't they put it at the side of the drivers door?

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page