Stop/start stopped after jump start - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th March 2018, 14:19 Thread Starter

Stop/start stopped after jump start

Hi everyone, I recently had to jumpstart my daughter's car, and the stop/start function on my 2014 1.4vtec has stopped working - is there any easy fix?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th March 2018, 14:22
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift 5DR
The battery needs changing or the voltage is too low for it to operate. The flat battery usually gives it away.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th March 2018, 14:31
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
The flat battery was on his daughter's car not the 1.4

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th March 2018, 14:36
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Would have still drawn on his battery; They seem to be fairly sensitive to any voltage drops:- The only time mine ever wants to actually stop / start is when I've got AC off after extended driving.

Is there any specific icon on the I-Mid that gives a clue as to why it didn't activate?
Usually, it is either battery, AC (Demisters), or Just doesn't feel like it right now
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th March 2018, 14:42
Super Moderator

I get the battery warning loads of times on my 10G, even after a long run. I'ts only auto stopped 4-5 times since I got it in Dec.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th March 2018, 17:50

Car: 2019 Civic 5D 1.5 Sport+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltamer View Post

Is there any specific icon on the I-Mid that gives a clue as to why it didn't activate?
Usually, it is either battery, AC (Demisters), or Just doesn't feel like it right now

It will show the idlestop icon (A with circular arrow) crossed through with either thermometer (engine temp is too low or high) or A/C (Autoclimate is in use and the temperature difference between cabin and set temperature is too) or battery (battery charge level is below threshold)

These warning can be turned off in the I-MID, then you will just see the green idlestop light when it stops, which will flash if the climate control concern occurs during idlestop and there is risk of windows fogging.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th March 2018, 17:54

Car: 2019 Civic 5D 1.5 Sport+
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiasign View Post
Hi everyone, I recently had to jumpstart my daughter's car, and the stop/start function on my 2014 1.4vtec has stopped working - is there any easy fix?

Thanks in advance
If it would not idle stop during your journey just after you opened the bonnet and started the engine to jumpstart the other car, then it will be reactivated following another ignition cycle, that's in the system settings.

You don't say if you are getting any idle-stop warnings?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th March 2018, 20:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for all the replies - yes I get the "battery not charging enough" light - like one of the other posters, this happens on and off anyway, but usually sorts itself out after a day or so, but this has been going on for a couple of weeks now
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 19:36
DZH

Car: 2012 Civic ES 1.8 i-VTEC
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiasign View Post
Thanks for all the replies - yes I get the "battery not charging enough" light - like one of the other posters, this happens on and off anyway, but usually sorts itself out after a day or so, but this has been going on for a couple of weeks now
Have you tested the voltage of your battery? It may be just under the threshold and simply needs a charge. If you have a compatible charger, it wouldn't hurt to give it a charge and see if that solves the problem.

I have heard of others with seemingly fine batteries where it doesn't like to do auto idle stop. I'm pretty sure I've read on here that some people disconnect their negative terminal for a few seconds and connect it again and this would reset it and it would be fine for a while after. It is quite a sensitive system from what I've read.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 5th April 2018, 18:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thank for that, I'll give them both a try - I just want to avoid it being flagged up as a fault come trade-in time 😃
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 5th April 2018, 18:56
Super Moderator

My 10G was doing the same and not auto stopping (battery warning indication). Today I disconnected the neg terminal of the battery and I actually had it disconnected for about an hour as I had something else to do, but 10 mins has been mentioned elsewhere.
After doing that and the initial car warm up with various warning lights resetting and an ignition off/on cycle (post #7), the auto stop worked just fine and dandy. Time will tell if it's a long term fix though.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page