4Likes
  • 3 Post By tkop2010
  • 1 Post By daverd8

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 09:39 Thread Starter

Car: 2014 1.6 i-Dtec White
pre vs post 2015 civic diesel

Hi out there.

How many of our illustrious members have upgraded from pre to post 2015 diesel?

I was seduced by a good deal in January and did the trade, 14plate se+ which I bought new to a pre-reg (in July 17) SR with 38 miles on clock. Liking the subtle differences, nicer seats, slightly better ride, glass roof, sat nav and useful set of safety gadgets. BUT -

On average I'm finding it 10% worse on fuel consumption??? I've said on this forum before, I'm a bit of a spreadsheet geek (don't measure it can't improve it culture from work!) and on my regular monthly trek from Exeter to Staffordshire I used to get (depending on weather conditions, traffic etc) between 68-70 indicated mpg, with the new one I struggle to get much beyond 62/64mpg without driving at 50mph all the way. Similar difference applies to other regular trips I make. The one thing that is definitely noticeable is that when I come off the accelerator (at the top of a hill say) it takes longer for the fuel consumption bar on I-mid to get from what it is reading to 100mpg than the 14plate one did? - I know it's only indicative of a number but.....

It's been back to dealer for a check over and they say everything ok according to computer. It's going back next week to have my private plates fitted, can anyone come up with anything else I should ask them to check?

Thank You, D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 10:44

Car: 2012 Civic 2.2 I-DTEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverd8 View Post
Hi out there.

How many of our illustrious members have upgraded from pre to post 2015 diesel?

I was seduced by a good deal in January and did the trade, 14plate se+ which I bought new to a pre-reg (in July 17) SR with 38 miles on clock. Liking the subtle differences, nicer seats, slightly better ride, glass roof, sat nav and useful set of safety gadgets. BUT -

On average I'm finding it 10% worse on fuel consumption??? I've said on this forum before, I'm a bit of a spreadsheet geek (don't measure it can't improve it culture from work!) and on my regular monthly trek from Exeter to Staffordshire I used to get (depending on weather conditions, traffic etc) between 68-70 indicated mpg, with the new one I struggle to get much beyond 62/64mpg without driving at 50mph all the way. Similar difference applies to other regular trips I make. The one thing that is definitely noticeable is that when I come off the accelerator (at the top of a hill say) it takes longer for the fuel consumption bar on I-mid to get from what it is reading to 100mpg than the 14plate one did? - I know it's only indicative of a number but.....

It's been back to dealer for a check over and they say everything ok according to computer. It's going back next week to have my private plates fitted, can anyone come up with anything else I should ask them to check?

Thank You, D
In fairness 10% is nothing. They will laugh at you if you mention this. It could be various factors like the cold weather, fuel, tyre traction a little off to even maybe you weigh more

This is very hard to nail down in all fairness. I would make sure that the air filter is clean
Thanks to canman from:
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 12:21
Supporter

Glass roof probably doesnít help either with weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RickHondaR, nturnb and Haltamer like this.
Thanks to tkop2010 from:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 17:15
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkop2010 View Post

That was my thoughts plus different tyre sizes make a big difference and my guess is these are bigger than the older model
Thanks to RickHondaR from:
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 19:05

Car: 2017 Civic SE+Nav LunaSilver
Garage
Iím in a 17 plate SE + and averaging 70mpg but I do fairly long runs most of the time.

Thanks to MacByrne from:
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 19:16
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2018 Civic 1.0 SR Manual
engine will also be tight.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 20:33
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkop2010 View Post

My 9G doesn't have the glass roof but that was down to preference, found on the 8G it made it handle like a Trifle.

My MPG has gone down over the winter to about 67mpg but is going back up to just over 70mpg since the mercury has gone into positive figures.
Thanks to nturnb from:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 21:02
Earth Dreams :)

Car: 2017 CTR GT
Garage
I remember when I had my 9G diesel..

Found that after a couple of months of "running in", it seemed to do better on the mpg front - and I was trying to get 70+ all the time - driving like miss daisy...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2018, 08:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2014 1.6 i-Dtec White
Thanks for the replies folks - a few comments

I've not put weight on canman, but if you think I'm brave enough to ask the Mrs, well.......... I know 10% is not that much and if I'd never had the 14plate would probably be quite happy, other than reading what other people are getting. Thing is, the mpg I mentioned is on one specific 500ish mile round trip I do regularly, my overall average mpg is struggling to keep in the 60's and that's driving Miss Daisy! Will check air filter when it stops raining! My annoyance really revolves around the fact that this sort of figure would have impacted on the change decision and I might have waited 6months and gone for a 1.5sport.

My SR is on 16inch wheels, and surprisingly shod with same Michelins as my 14plate was originally.

Can see the extra weight of the sunroof bit, does this mean that all SR's and sunroof models are down on mpg? Can also see tightness of engine point but then they do say no need to run in any more and my 14plate was in high 60's from day 1.

I did wonder if there was any impact from it standing around for 5months before I got it, the dealer said it had been 'regularly checked over' but not sure what that meant.

At the end of the day, it is what it is, still better than most others and a lovely car to live with. Will have a chat with technicians about sluggishness of 'fuel bar' when it goes in for plates and see what they say.

Thanks again D
canman likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2018, 08:58
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...

Car: 2015 1.6 I-DTEC SE+ Tourer
I've been getting an indicated 65mpg through the winter on every tankful where I would normally get around 69ish, but I suspect that is the warm-up cycle being fractionally longer plus I think the diesel at the pumps is a slightly less efficient type, being winter. I suspect my next tank will see a marginal improvement if Spring ever arrives. Mine is a pre-facelift 2015 tourer. The tourer version over the hatchback knocks off a few mpg. 25k on the clock, and owned since new. In the beginning, I tried to get those high figures of 70+, but it's better for the engine if I just drive it briskly where permitted, as it reduces the regen frequency. I'm happy to take a small hit on mpg.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2018, 10:17

Car: 2017 Civic SE+Nav LunaSilver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight168 View Post
I've been getting an indicated 65mpg through the winter on every tankful where I would normally get around 69ish, but I suspect that is the warm-up cycle being fractionally longer plus I think the diesel at the pumps is a slightly less efficient type, being winter. I suspect my next tank will see a marginal improvement if Spring ever arrives. Mine is a pre-facelift 2015 tourer. The tourer version over the hatchback knocks off a few mpg. 25k on the clock, and owned since new. In the beginning, I tried to get those high figures of 70+, but it's better for the engine if I just drive it briskly where permitted, as it reduces the regen frequency. I'm happy to take a small hit on mpg.

Checked mine this morning 17 plate SE and Iím getting over 70 for every tank over the 4000 miles Iíve had it. Currently on 74mpg for the last 200 Miles. Thatís pretty much sticking to the speed limit cruising around 70

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2018, 14:56
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
I've so far averaged 63.56 mpg manual calc from new. I can get 74 mpg when cruising in the low to mid 60's. on a motorway trip. Only done 10000 miles so far so engine still running in. Hopefully low 70's will become more regular but as my work route is main road with lots of stop me for no reason traffic lights I doubt it. I hope that this winter diesel is the reason for poor economy at the moment. Over time my log should show this as it did with my petrol mk 8. Always saw a dip in economy during winter.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2018, 17:44
Supporter

Car: 64 Civic SE Plus Passion Red
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to iceman1234
Smile

I can share my experience with the 9gen SE+ tourer.
Recently switched from the 205/55 R16 to the 225/45 R17 and was wondering how much MPG have I sacrificed by doing that, but can't get a solid answer.

The most I've seen on the display was 67 MPG, that was with cleared trip meter and full tank, when the number seems to be most optimistic.

Long term (since I got the car which is not that long) - I'm averaging 60.3 on carspending.com , while on the screen it's stating 62.5.

Cruise-wise I'm floating between 72-77MPH - purely on the motorway and the only relieve is, when there is a road-work section and then I'm stuck to 50MPH, then the MPG climbs up.

I've tried the Econ button a few times and can't find too much of an advantage, other than seeing the different color on top, while pressing more on the gas pedal ..

The tyres are all on 38psi - I personally prefer them slightly firmer than suggested, and recently upgraded to Honda Green Diesel Oil (if I'm not mistaken - it's 0W-30 grade), from the previous owners Mobil one 5W-30 ...
New Honda Air and Oil filters.

Don't get me wrong - I've upgraded from 8gen 2.2 and just shy of 50MPG to this tourer 1.6 and 60+ MPG which is a 20+% gain in economy.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page