Car: Civic Tourer 1.6DTEC
Join Date: 3rd December 2015
Location: Herts, UK
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
1.6 diesel service
So today I tackled a full service on my 2015 1.6 tourer. Mileage currently 33000 miles
There was nothing wrong with the way the car drove but the MoT a couple of months ago had brought up an advisory for worn front pads so I decided to do these at the same time
I bought a full service kit and front pads from Cox as I wanted to use genuine parts
I'd read up on here about what to do and for the most part it's pretty simple
As jacking up the car seems difficult I decided to make some wooden blocks with a slot cut in it to enable my trolley jack to be used on the sill jacking points and made up out of a scrap bit of 3x2. This protected the sill from any metal on metal contact that might damage the rustproofing
I removed the 7 crosshead screws holding the aluminium undertray on. These were tight but with a decent screwdriver came out fine.
I drained the oil using a 17mm spanner and removed the filler cap. Then, using the universal 3 legged oil filter tool I removed the filter. In future I'm going to try and buy the correct tool however it did the job despite denting the old filter slightly. Once drained I replaced the sump plug washer supplied with the filter and hand tightened the new filter after smearing a film of oil over the seal. I filled with exactly 4.7 litres of Mobil-1 supplied with the service kit. I dipped the undertray screws in the old engine oil and replaced the undertray
At this point I was going to replace the diesel filter. To start with I couldn't even work out where it was but it's behind the oil filter and is very inaccessible. In the end I decided to leave well alone, you really do need a ramp as access is very difficult. It seems there is something that screws into the bottom of the filter (water trap ??) and several bolts to undo that look like a thin 1/4 inch extension would be required. A job for another day
I unclipped the air filter, 4 clips which can be undone by hand but you do need to loosen the intake hose, I used a small 8mm socket for this. The old filter just lifts out and was extremely dirty, looks unlikely it was changed last year when Honda serviced it. Very easy.
The pollen filter is extremely easy, just open the glove box, slightly flex the sides to unhook the door then allow it to drop fully down. Then just press each side of the filter cover to remove. Slide the old filter out making a note of the orientation, there is an arrow on the filter denoting direction of flow. It was pretty dirty.
The brakes were very straightforward, they're the same type as fitted to many German cars being identical in design to my BMW. Remove the two rubber caps and unscrew the slide pins with a 7 mm hex key, Prise off the spring clip then lever the caliper apart slightly until the caliper can be removed. I used a wind back tool to push the piston back. Make sure you ensure the master cylinder doesn't overflow. Installed the new pads with a bit of the supplied brake grease on the backs, tighten up the slide pins and don't forget the rubber caps and spring clip. Very straightforward if you've changed pads before.
A quick visual check under the bonnet, clutch and brake fluid OK, water OK, top up the screen wash. That was it for the oily bits
I then updated the satnav maps, again really easy with the Garmin system
Finally a hoover inside and a wash outside and all's good for a while. I'd recently replaced all wiper blades
The total cost for the service parts and brake pads was 168.96 with forum discount. The cost of the service from Honda would be £280 plus £120 for the pads so a considerable saving (although the Honda service does have a brake fluid change which I haven't done, I think every 5 years or so is fine for that) and I still have to change the diesel filter at some point
If I could work out how to post pictures I would
Hopefully these notes might be helpful to anyone thinking of doing a service. Other than the diesel filter it's all very easily do-able