• 1 Post By woodycivic
  • 2 Post By canman
  • 1 Post By Farqui
  • 2 Post By woodycivic
  • 1 Post By woodycivic

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th May 2018, 10:55 Thread Starter

2.2 DPF and yearly mileage...

I have posted before about me been on the lookout for a 9G as im wanting to get rid of my trusty 1.8 8G as it will need around £500 worth of work by the time next years MOT runs out.

Ive got around £6000 / £6500 which includes the part ex price i get for my 8G (Im expected around £1500 for it - 2006 with 90k and a FSH in VGC).

There is a 2012 1.8 SE 9G with 38k on the clock that i intend looking at this weekend but the pictures show a mark on the driver seat which ill need to see close up to see if that will come out. It does have a FSH (7 stamps though) so has been maintained well.

I have seen a couple of 2012 2.2 diesels though (One has 56k on it and the other 60k). Both are ES spec so come with some nice extra toys which obviously the 1.8 SE doesnt have.

As many have talked about before, these obviously have a DPF fitted. Through the week i do about 15 miles a day (A and B roads) and generally one out of every two weekends we go on the motorway at some point for a decent length of time (To the coast many times in the summer). I average about 10k/12k a year in total.

The thing that worries me is wether this is enough to keep the diesel and its DPF happy and working well?

1.8 SE Petrol
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ice-asc&page=1

2.2 ES Diesels
https://www.monkscrossusedcars.co.uk...kshire-1611209

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...nesearchad=New

Last edited by woodycivic; 16th May 2018 at 10:59.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th May 2018, 11:00
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,144 Times in 3,840 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Good question that, you also need to consider how the DPF car has been driven up to this point. You 'could' be inheriting a big bill further down the road.

The 1.8 is the safer option mechanically/repair cost wise.

Do you need the better mpg/pulling power the derv offers?
Haltamer likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th May 2018, 11:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
Good question that, you also need to consider how the DPF car has been driven up to this point. You 'could' be inheriting a big bill further down the road.

The 1.8 is the safer option mechanically/repair cost wise.

Do you need the better mpg/pulling power the derv offers?
I dont particularly need the better MPG or power.

The 1.8 i have now i am really happy with in terms of performance. It doesnt set any records but with a 3 year old in the car with me for 90% of the time im not one for driving like a lunatic.

The extra toys on the diesels are appealing but i could always save a little extra and put a nice double din in with bluetooth and sat nav if i get an SE trim model.
Farqui likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th May 2018, 11:03
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
As long as you get it up to temperature regularly to clear the DPF, you shouldn't have too many issues - Most trouble originates when they are tootling up and down in cities, sub 30MPH never getting up to temperature.

15 Miles of high speed work a day isn't unreasonable, especially with extended trips on the weekend.

The cost of running is to be considered though; Usually there isn't much benefit to a diesel (fuel cost wise) until you're above 15K Miles a year IMO; If you want the torque, go for it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th May 2018, 11:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltamer View Post
As long as you get it up to temperature regularly to clear the DPF, you shouldn't have too many issues - Most trouble originates when they are tootling up and down in cities, sub 30MPH never getting up to temperature.

15 Miles of high speed work a day isn't unreasonable, especially with extended trips on the weekend.

The cost of running is to be considered though; Usually there isn't much benefit to a diesel (fuel cost wise) until you're above 15K Miles a year IMO; If you want the torque, go for it.
Thanks.

I notice you have a 1.4 petrol, how do you find it?

I'd not considered them after been used to a 1.8 for the past 4 years!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th May 2018, 11:12
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycivic View Post
Thanks.

I notice you have a 1.4 petrol, how do you find it?

I'd not considered them after been used to a 1.8 for the past 4 years!
It's OK:- I'd say it depends on how much you are lugging about; If you consistently have 3 passengers, you'll feel heavy with the 1.4, but especially if it is just you, there is enough power to have fun, especially when using the gears properly:- As is my mantra, 3rd will get you to 85; Remeber this and you can make good progress even with acceleration, especially once rolling.

I've done a reasonable number of long motorway journeys, and it's good fun when you keep up the momentum:- Indicated 75, GPS 70 has you sitting at "3499" RPM, Just before the first power band comes in, so you do get responsiveness when cruising.

Though the power is a trade off, it will be lighter and more efficient; I get 47+ MPG on a motorway run at a steady ~70 (GPS), which helps to justify destroying the fuel economy average with 2nd / 3rd gear whooshes around B roads (Which I often still result in 40+ MPG!)

If you find one on offer, test drive it and see how you find it - If you're not looking for unreasonable power, it may suit you, but it can still make good progress when driven right.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th May 2018, 11:21
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift 5DR
I would go a different route. Go for the 2011 2.2 which doesnt have a DPF but mat set you back a 1000+ clutch and DMF bill due to the way they work.

Ive gotten high 50's in my petrol 1.8 cruising down the motorway at 60mph, and high 30's in town. Factor up the cost difference in tax and fuel cost with the cost of potentially changing a expensive clutch kit and a DMF in the diesel and see if it works for you. If you dont need to tow anything then the 1.8 id say would suit you better.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th May 2018, 11:25
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
My 2.2 took well over 10 miles to get warmed through and for the economy to creep up.

I have no experience of DPF's and never will if I can help it.

A petrol gets warmer much quicker than a derv.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 09:57

Car: 2012 Civic 2.2 I-DTEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
My 2.2 took well over 10 miles to get warmed through and for the economy to creep up.

I have no experience of DPF's and never will if I can help it.

A petrol gets warmer much quicker than a derv.
Very true. I have been trouble(ish) free with the exception of three times with the DPF. I got an ECU update and a regen the first two times. This time I am washing out the DPF but if you are not doing the mileage, stay away from Diesel. DPFs are just a pain in the arse and you are always wondering when it will go... 2000 sterling for a new Honda one and 4500 euro here in Ireland about 1/6 of the price of a new car.... crazy when you think of it.
nturnb and Farqui like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 10:14
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Jeeze, how much!
canman likes this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 10:59

Ya stupid money..... TBH, this has really put me off Honda.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 11:00 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Although the spec and yearly tax on the 2.2 is massively appealing, im staying away and concentrating on the 1.8 petrols.

My current 8G 1.8 petrol has served me extremely well and they are so so reliable.

As you rightly say, it will always be a worry in the back of my mind and if im not a 15k + a year regular motorway driver it just doesn't make sense. It will be no good having bluetooth and cruise control toys if the DPF needs replacing because i havent given it the mileage it needs in a couple of years!

Fingers crossed the black 1.8 SE ive seen is still there tomorrow morning when i intend to go look and take a test drive
canman and lightningslow like this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 19th May 2018, 15:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

So went to see the car this morning.

Got around what I expected for my current 8g and the 9g drove really nice and Iím chuffed to say Iím picking it up on Friday!

Really chuffed with the condition of the car. Itís unmarked all over both inside and out and has continental tyres on all four corners with decent tread on all.

The previous owner of the last four years was a disabled guy and he has obviously looked after it well. Itís had 7 services so is averaging an oil change every 6k. Not often you get cars like that.

Always wary of buying a new car and what problems it potentially could throw up but Iím one happy chap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lightningslow likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 20th May 2018, 22:56

Nice 1, hope it serves you well

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page