Civic Tourer in the snow (merged) - Civinfo
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 13th July 2018, 21:53 Thread Starter

Civic Tourer in the snow (merged)

Hi

I drive a civic tourer SR 16 plate, I really like the car and suits our needs. However last/this winter showed me that this car is truly terrible in the snow and I mean awful.

I have owned previously a golf, auris, and run a 2nd car aygo all have been fine to drive in the snow.

I am thinking of changing to a CRV but I actually really do like the tourer.

Would simply investing in some winter tyres help the tourer?

I live in Edinburgh and do stay on higher ground where snow can be an issue for a few days form time to time, my commute to work is also going to be further than I have traveled before using the bypass to the other side of the city.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 13th July 2018, 22:28
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
All those other cars sound fairly FWD To me; What tyres do you have on at the moment?

Sounds more like a tyre problem to me - That and the TC can be over-eager on snow; Try disconnecting VSA and it should make pulling away less trouble, as well as the regular snow driving tips.

There is a thread where somone grabbed a set of 16" steelies and winter wheels, and he was praising the performance quite handsomley - The real factor in snow performance is traction; The only way to increase that is 4WD or Winter tyres (Unless you have someone throwing carpet under your wheels everywhere you go :P)

I'll say that when I drove my 9G on Yokohama V105s in the (lighter) snow we had down south, I never had any real trouble except for a slight rally moment on a motorway driving slightly beyond the conditions
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 13th July 2018, 23:26
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
I got my civic during the week of the Beast from the East and found it terrible in the snow(switching of the VSA does help a bit) and on brand new Goodyears. I thought my Vec wasn't very good in the snow, but the civic was really bad, but again look at the width of the tyre, 225's, so thats never going to help. Back in the winter of 2010 I was travelling with colleague and he had 4 snow tyres fitted to his Primera, its was unbelievable good, just put the power down with no issues. They say even the worst snow tyres are better than the best summer tyres in the snow. I will most likely buy a pair of snow tyres for the front this year, as bare minimum.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 13th July 2018, 23:36

Car: 2014 1.8 SR auto Tourer
Hi,
I have a 2014 Civic Tourer, petrol automatic with standard 17" Bridgestone summer tyres. I got caught on the Wiltshire Downs a few months back and managed quite well in fresh 4 - 6 " snow. If I were you, bearing in mind where you are, I would go for 16 or 17" wheels with winter or all season tyres plus these tyres are better all round in colder temperatures anyway.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 14th July 2018, 09:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the replies

Firstly how do you turn off VSA?

My tourer is the 1.6 diesel

The other cars I've driven have all been front wheel drive and hatchbacks, with no issues on summer tyres, a bit of sliding etc but controllable and movable. I have a fairly substantial hill to get to my street and the tourer was a complete fail, the aygo for obvious reasons just glided up the hill.

Overall I put it down to being a tourer/estate.

My initial thought was get a CRV 4x4 even on summer tyres it will cope better on everyday driving in snow around town, winter tyres would obviously maximize the performance.

Then I researched into winter tyres and thought maybe thats all the tourer needs to perform the same as my previous cars, or is it just a really bad snow car?

I presume I can just purchase a set of 4 winter tyres and get a garage to swap the tyres over in winter and back in the summer, I am happy to store these in my garage.

Winter tyres are looking at about 120-150 a tyre so its a heavy outlay initial but I guess they will last 2 seasons maybe even 3 at a push depending on wear. I really don't want to have the cost of 4 new alloys also.

I just wonder if switching to CRV is going to e better option.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 14th July 2018, 13:26
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
What size of tyres are on your civic. Yours may not have switchable VSA(vehicle Stability Assist), if it does there will be a button on the dash. If your a member check out the price of Tyres at costco, they usually have some sort of deals on. I suppose id depends if you like the civic enough to warrant changing to the crv for a once in a 12 year event or not.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 14th July 2018, 14:22
Supporter

Car: 2005 Civic Type-S EV1
If you don't want a spare set of wheels with winter tyres then I would recommend a set of some decent all seasons tyres rather than changing tyres on and off rims every year.

Either Michelin CrossClimate+ or Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 will do and not too much of a compromise in the warmer months.

I have put the original CrossClimates on my brothers Civic 225/45/17 and run the Vector 4 Seasons original and Gen 2 on various family members cars and I can barley tell the difference compared to my dedicated Michelin Alpin A4 winter tyre set in winter.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 14th July 2018, 15:03
Supporter

Garage
Possibly could be down to the extra weight if it is the hills you are having issue with.

The VSA Switch is next to your right knee, with the button panel that lets you adjust headlights, turn off parking sensors and I believe headlight wash on HID models (Not that you get this on UK cars):- Press the button and hold it until you hear a bong, and the VSA Off icon appears in the gauge cluster (Centre bottom)

There are a few packs like this on EBay which would save you having to pay to have tyres switched over:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-Honda-...sid=m570.l1313

I'm not sure how much of an improvement you'd get with the CRV, as the AWD system doesn't seem to be that good from reviews:
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 14th July 2018, 15:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Current tyre size 225/45/17

I've just recently put 3 new tyres on the car at the service so all weather may be an option but I'd have to do a couple swaps back to use them up first, but might be a better option.

Yeah I have watched vids on the CRV and it does have issues but these vids where more off road snow, rather than on the public roads. I think the CRV 4wd will be an improvment not a full fix and will still have issues but I will get to A to B, in the tourer it is so bad its really un usable in snow on public roads.

I would prefer a Rav4 AWD but there are pricier, AWD do seem to be best rather than the 4wd, and pricer but what is the actual difference?

So is the CRV a AWD or 4WD?

Watch a few vids on you tube with 4wd going up indoor ski slopes and with summer tyres just fail, winter tyres and its a success. Also watch some with BMW's rear wheel drive with winter tyres and there doing great in the snow.

Last edited by rsbhj; 14th July 2018 at 15:43.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 15th July 2018, 12:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Any Civic Tourer Owners?

Hi

If you own a Civic Tourer can you get in touch looking to see how your tourer performed in the snow last winter?

Thanks
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 15th July 2018, 17:39

Car: 2014 1.8 Tourer
No problems here, plenty of snow over the winter, i am in the Peak District. Crossclimate+ tyres all round and chains in the boot.
Training is important I did an extensive skid pan training course a few years ago and I found it of great benefit, 4WD vehicles are useful but they still have to obey the same laws of physics.
Haltamer likes this.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 17th July 2018, 12:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyspoon22 View Post
No problems here, plenty of snow over the winter, i am in the Peak District. Crossclimate+ tyres all round and chains in the boot.
Training is important I did an extensive skid pan training course a few years ago and I found it of great benefit, 4WD vehicles are useful but they still have to obey the same laws of physics.
Hi are you in a tourer?

I am looking at removing my exiting 17" alloys with tyres 225/45/17 and replace these with 16" alloys with tyres 205/55/R16 91 for winter use.

Is there likely to be any issues with doing this swap?or just a case of simply popping them on and a call to insurer?

205/55/R16 91 tyres and 16" alloys will be balanced prior to fitting. I have managed to source a 2nd hand set of Honda official alloys 2016/2017 for a online dealer at a good price with some minor lacquer peeling.

Last edited by rsbhj; 17th July 2018 at 12:37.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 17th July 2018, 12:56

Car: 2014 1.8 Tourer
Yep I have a tourer, 16s are standard on the lower spec tourers no idea on the tyre size though.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 17th July 2018, 14:03 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Interesting that you had no issues in the snow, this is honestly the worst I've driven, but you did say you had cross climates.

I was considering the cross climates but due to the tourer's performance on summer tyres in the snow I thought maybe a dedicated winter tyre might be best.

Is your the 1.6 diesel or 1.8 petrol?

When I put in my reg I get the below for tyre sizes. Just looking for some info if its just as simple as taking the 17s off and putting the 16s on

205/55/r16 91

225/45/r17 92
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 17th July 2018, 14:26
Supporter

Garage
The 205/55/R16's are standard on the 1.6 models (Fuel economy) and on the lower trims, and you shouldn't have an issue that I'm aware of just swapping them on; In fact I'm fairly certain it would make the speedo more accurate, as it seems to be calibrated for the 16s.

The width reduction certainly helps in severe wet / snow conditions as you'll cut through, and the added sidewall doesn't go amiss with the increased prevalence of potholes over winter.

If you get some with lacquer peeling, it probably wouldn't cost much to have them stripped and powder coated which would probably look a bit nicer.

Out of interest, are you still on the OEM summer 17" Tyres, Yokohama V105s? If you were having trouble climbing hills with these in snow I wouldn't be surprised, as there is absolutely no sipe what so ever - Got stuck in the (light) mud in the car park at Brands hatch with them.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 17th July 2018, 14:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The original tyres were Michelin's cant remember the model, they now have Pirelli Cinturato P7 replaced few months back.

In theory I should have gone with a cross climate then and then if still poor in the snow get a set of winters, but had other stuff going on at the time and didn't think about it arrghhh!

I've sourced 16s alooys and will look at winter tyres now, but just wanting to check there will be no issues doing a simple remove 17s and put 16s on. I cant see there being any issues as you have said, and the fact the lower spec models come with these already, but just want to be sure before I purchase them.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 17th July 2018, 16:32
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
i know not a tourer, but i found my 9gen typeR was better than expected acclerating & turns on summer tyres. Braking however was truely awful in snow.

bought winter tyres and no issues or dramas. Currently trying both nokian wr-a3 and bridgestone blizzak LM32's and cant tell much difference between the two. seems like the blizzaks have firmer sidewall and based visually on the tread pattern could grip better at the >95% limit than the nokians.

I'm a big fan of winters and ateotd, tyres are the bit that grip the road.
can also try using 2nd gear to pull away as it will reduce torque to the wheels and it's desire to wheelspin. i keep TCS/ESP on during winter as i find it helps maintain grip.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 17th July 2018, 21:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Typo previously on the tyre's, correct ones below

205/55/R16 91V

225/45/R17 91W (although current tyres are Y)

When looking at a cross climate tyre one website with an offer is saying I can use 225/45/R17 94 W its also an XL would the higher load rating be ok...94 from 91? Or am I better going with another website that does the 91 W?

When looking at winter tyres for both 16s and 17s the speed ratings seem to be H or V and again mainly 94 but some in 91 loads, therefore would setup would suit best, 91H, 94H, 91V, 94V
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 17th July 2018, 22:15
Supporter

Car: 2005 Civic Type-S EV1
You can use a higher load rating just not lower, the CrossClimate's on my brothers Civic are rated 94 W XL.

It is accepted practise with winter tyres to drop a speed rating, so my own summer tyres are 205/55/16 91V and my winters are 205/55/16 91H on OE alloys.

If you use different size wheels or lower speed rated tyres than what was supplied with the car make sure you declare it to your insurance company as some companies class them as modifications.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 17th July 2018, 22:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the info

I had checked the manual and it said to use the same load. I couldn’t see why going to a 94 would be an issue.

The manual never meantioned speed rating but I read that the speed rating is commonly decreased for winters as you said.

Need to speak to my insurance as 16s are supplied on lower spec tourers so I’m hoping it won’t be classed as a modification. I would have hoped insurers seen this as a good change.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page