• 1 Post By veehexx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10th September 2018, 10:48 Thread Starter
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Battery charge longevity

Reet, basically after surgery I at the moment cannot drive. The question I have is this: How long without driving can I leave it before the battery will go flat? She was parked up on 21 August and hasn't been turned over since, obviously as I don't know what charge the battery had before parking up will affect the time it would last but she did have a good 140 mile run the weekend before on both motorway and main road. I'm hoping with its stop/start battery it will last longer than a ordinary battery but ..... as it's been near 3 weeks. What do you reckon, 1 month, more or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10th September 2018, 11:28
Supporter

Car: 2016 1.8 Sport Orchid White
I hope you're recovering well Red.
I was worried about battery as well as I sometimes don't use my car for a couple of weeks, and things like the alarm are a constant drain on the battery, I sometimes find the start stop doesn't like to work until the battery builds up it's charge again.
Anyway, I bought myself a Ctek charger as other forum members have recommended, and use that occasionally, I don't know if you are able to do this using an extension cable if necessary.
Red Dwarf likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10th September 2018, 11:37 Thread Starter
I Hate tailgaters!
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage
My garage is too far away to put a charger into it. So unfortunately that isn't a option for me.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10th September 2018, 11:38
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
You should probably get away with about a month IMO, Though if you don't mind the waste of fuel, you can go and idle it for a while - Recently laid up a car for a couple of months; Needed a long charge + jump from another car (1.2 Corsa jumping 2l Diesel ) but it got their eventually; once on we left it running for ~1 hour or so whilst washing, and then gave it a few quick runs up and down the road to loosen things up.
Red Dwarf likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10th September 2018, 13:46
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
As you have it in a garage id also suggest that you don't activate the dead locks, second (assuming the Gen 9 has this). The alarm will still set, or at least it does on the Gen 8, and that's one less drain on the battery.
Red Dwarf likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10th September 2018, 13:48 Thread Starter
I Hate tailgaters!
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das View Post
As you have it in a garage id also suggest that you don't activate the dead locks, second (assuming the Gen 9 has this). The alarm will still set, or at least it does on the Gen 8, and that's one less drain on the battery.

Mmmmm didn't think of that. May go unlock then lock without deadlocks.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10th September 2018, 14:26
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
My understanding is dead locks use battery power to maintain the force needed to keep them locked. My sister in law had an issue with her Mondeo where if the car wasn't used for 3 days the battery went flat. I told her to stop locking it twice so as not to set the deadlocks and her issue went away.
BTW if you go down once a week and start the car and leave it running for 10 or fifteen minutes I cant see you having any issue with the battery going flat.
Red Dwarf likes this.

Last edited by Das; 10th September 2018 at 14:29.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11th September 2018, 02:22

Car: 2009 GT EX Auto
i often leave my 2009 mk8 parked for a week and up to 3 weeks last month. had no problems starting on its original honda (yuasa made) battery.
Red Dwarf likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11th September 2018, 04:02

Garage
I've left my truck for 6 months in a warm garage due to travel. Still started up when I got back but gave me the low battery warning, after a couple of long drives always goes away. You should be more than fine. Do not idle, it's not enough and you end up draining the battery. You need at least a 20 minute drive for a proper battery recharge while driving (no start stop). So that 10 minute idle will do more harm than good for the battery. Get well soon.
Red Dwarf likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11th September 2018, 08:20

Car: 2006 Fabia VRS PD 130
You could always invest in a maintenance charger, I've got an optimate 3, it recovers the battery when it starts ageing to prolong its useful life (as stop start batteries aren't cheap!), in addition it's an all weather device, so it can be run out on an extension cord in any weather, or just on weekends if you're struggling to leave it plugged in for long periods.

Be interesting to know what the battery voltage decreases to - anyone got a multimeter to check? Be good to correlate what the battery voltage is before starting becomes difficult, obviously temperature will play a factor but it's still good to know !
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11th September 2018, 12:10 Thread Starter
I Hate tailgaters!
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Just going off battery topic a moment. Upon advice of district nurse I called to inform insurance company of condition but mine only interested if condition is one that I must notify DVLA, diabetes etc. But some insurance companies may differ.

However lady on phone told me a tale about her dads surgery which sounded the same as mine and he didn't drive for six weeks. Obviously each person different but could be a nervous wait.

I have been informed from a few different medical sources whose paths I've crossed and I've brought the subject up that I must be able to comfortably do a emergency stop without obviously creating pain that might affect my judgement/ reaction at the time plus the possibility of damaging my interior stitching, which I cannot look at to see how's it's doing. I have to rely on how it feels.

Looks like I'll only find out when I dig her keys out as battery charging not a geographical option.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11th September 2018, 15:40
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Hi-another option! in the 4 years we've had our civic the battery's gone flat twice after being left around the 3 week+ mark.

In the end bought a suaoki 800A car jump starter pack for 60. It's about the size of a packet of biscuits and so is kept in the under floor compartment in the boot. Got decent quality looking leads. Only thing is, never had to test it yet so can't say for certainty if the're any good !
Red Dwarf likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11th September 2018, 19:52
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
is removing the battery to bring it indoors where you can leave it on charge an option?
cb550 and DZH like this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11th September 2018, 20:08
DZH

Car: 2012 Civic ES 1.8 i-VTEC
Garage
I've left my Civic pretty much untouched for 3-4 weeks, with a not so great battery in the first place and it started without any issues.

You could always do what veehexx said and remove the battery to give it a charge.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11th September 2018, 20:55
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
you could always get a solar charger and place the panel outside
not great at this time of year but will help
wont actually charge a flat battery but does help keep them topped up
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20W-12V-C...cAAOSwC2Javf3B
Red Dwarf likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11th September 2018, 22:04 Thread Starter
I Hate tailgaters!
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by veehexx View Post
is removing the battery to bring it indoors where you can leave it on charge an option?

Not really.
I don't own a charger.
I'd have to disconnect the battery and carry it up. I'm not allowed to lift anything for a minimum of 4 weeks and up to 6 weeks for anything heavy (car battery?).

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th September 2018, 00:29
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
Do we not have any other members in Blackpool that could drop by and help you out? Take the car out for a run around the block? If I lived in Blackpool I'd certainly help you out.
scaramanga likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th September 2018, 03:43 Thread Starter
I Hate tailgaters!
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das View Post
Do we not have any other members in Blackpool that could drop by and help you out? Take the car out for a run around the block? If I lived in Blackpool I'd certainly help you out.

No thanks. I'll run the risk. Only I drive our Myrtle, she knows me. I have been sort of preparing for this in the previous months to my surgery date by always switching stop/start off to keep engine running and charging. Hopefully that along with her 1000 mile holiday run in July and a weekend 140 mile trip away the weekend before will have put the battery at nearly fully charged so as to last a good month or so. The only thing stopping me driving now is I'm still popping the narcotics (my choice) the hospital gave me and not wanting to risk a emergency stop with my wound at its current healed stage. (It wasn't keyhole). So it's basically how long dare I go before reaching for the keys hence the original question. I'll keep you all updated as time goes by for future reference to anybody who goes through the same. But thanks for all the cunning plans and suggestions.

veehexx likes this.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th September 2018, 11:16
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
lack of charger... i'd fire it up and let idle every 2-3 weeks untill engine temp gets upto running temp.

could also just disconnect the earth side of battery. no drain on it so it should easily last many months without loosing charge.
if its left in garage, could also crack the windows to allow a bit of air inside and no issues with the car getting stuck locked, although you still have the physical key to manually unlock the car.
Red Dwarf likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2018, 18:39 Thread Starter
I Hate tailgaters!
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Well my nerve got the better of me and after 3 Weeks Since Surgery but near 4 Weeks Since last being driven I took my keys to the garage. Unlocked ok, clutch in and put her into and out of gear a few times just to loosen her up, turned key and all lit up then waited whilst a few lights went out .... started first time without a cough or a sneeze. Went for a little pootle and after 30 minutes the deflation warning showed for the first time since I bought her. Pulled off motorway and found a KFC and found rear right at 28 psi. As tyre obviously not unused cold I put it to 34 psi and reset the DWS. After a zinger, drove her home via a long route to allow DWS to reset itself and checked PSI at home, still 34 PSI. I'll check all when cold just incase I do have a very slow leak as all others just over normal cold PSI when checked. I can't hear a leak then again with tinnitus it cold be blasting out and I wouldn't know .
Will be another week at least before next jaunt as I can't open garage door on my own at moment.
So 25 days later ......

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page