Aircon - Rubbish or Faulty ? - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sleighton

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 13th September 2018, 18:04 Thread Starter

Car: 2015 1.6 SE Plus (facelift)
Question Aircon - Rubbish or Faulty ?

So i had my Aircon re-gassed at the beginning of summer and although it was slightly colder it has always seemed to be lacking compared to other cars i've had in the past which are much older.

I've managed to hold out this long but with the warranty period becoming very close is this something i need to get looked at ASAP or is the aircon in this model just not that good ? I would have expected 16c to feel icy cold and its not so bad with it blowing on me full blast but it doesn't particularly seem to make the car cold and retain the temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th September 2018, 11:30

Car: Civic Tourer 1.6DTEC
I think the performance of the aircon is adequate in my tourer but like most cars it needs to be on for a while before it really maintains a cool temperature when it's really hot outside

Eco mode does reduce the air con performance - have you tried it without Eco mode being on as this might make a difference ?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th September 2018, 13:20

Car: 2014 1.6 DTEC 5 Door White
I use my A/C in Eco Mode on my 1.6 and it's absolutely freezing. Better than any car I have tried before. Is it possible that the garage didn't put enough gas in?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 14th September 2018, 17:20
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
As above, I've found my car to be perfectly good with regard aircon; though it would be nice if it used a little less fan in auto mode.

It's probably worth getting them to look at it anyway; you'll at least get a diagnostic if not another re gas.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 15th September 2018, 14:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yeah i'm not massively impressed but i am permanently in eco mode. I'll book it in ASAP

Cheers all
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 22nd September 2018, 22:55

Car: 2013 1.6 I-DTEC Orchid White
Mine is not very good. Its cold and noticeably air 'conned' but its not icey like some cars Ive had. It had a service at Honda in August where they noted it was half empty. The refilled it but I noticed no change. I always keep it on, even in winter as I have been told this is best for air con units. If I turn it off, even for a few seconds it always smells bad when I turn it back on.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 24th September 2018, 15:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I had an Aircon service from Honda at lunchtime today at a cost of 65 where they have topped it up, used the sanitiser, checked all relevant belts and connections and given the condenser a once over. They have also included a dye to check if there any leaks.

I paid ATS to top it up at the beginning of summer via a 30 groupon deal but i wonder if ATS even bothered as although i had the sanitiser smell for about a day, the air con didn't feel a great deal colder - Minimal perhaps but could also have been the placebo effect. I did ask them for readings but they forgot to take them at the time and i got a refund from Groupon as they couldn't prove anything had been done and i wasn't that happy with it. Never had a problem with them for this sort of thing in the past although i wouldn't put any other work their way, it was simply just a cheap re-gas deal.

Whatever Honda have done it is now ice cold and completely as i would expect it to be. I know its literally hours after but the difference is huge. I've been told to run it with the air con on for a few weeks and then bring it back in for them to check for dye etc. If there is any sort of leak or issue it will be covered under warranty (despite my warranty running out at the end of the week)
Kremmen likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th September 2018, 09:52

I paid 45 for a top up from Honda. They quoted 90 for a full refill. What option was the 65 one?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th September 2018, 09:53

Also, is aircon, refilling etc only relevant to cold air. Would a poor performing aircon be less effective in the winter when you need hot air?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th September 2018, 11:28
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Aircon, in winter, still dries the air and keeps the seals lubricated so don't turn it off.

I've always considered Honda AC poor. On my Lexus IS200, if I dialed in 21 then it dropped the interior temp to 21.

If I dialled in 21 on all 3 of my Civics it never got below 25 with the car in the sun but on the move. To get the temp down to 24 or less I had to dial in 19 or often less.
Those are with new Civics so presumably a top notch AC.

I remember my first Xantia with AC. That used to give me 'brain freeze', like biting too hard into an ice lolly, if I turned it down too low and didn't point it away.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th September 2018, 13:40

Car: 2012 EX 1.8 i-VTEC Manual
Out of interest what temperature comes out of the vents when set to the min? I think after my last re-gas I checked it and it was around 4-5 degrees C when the outside temperature was about 20 degrees C.

Thanks
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th September 2018, 19:42
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ice View Post
I paid 45 for a top up from Honda. They quoted 90 for a full refill. What option was the 65 one?
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/repairs.html
Air con service (up to 2016) 65

Not sure if that is MY or Year; Could be either due to possible changes in refrigerant gas use / disposal costs etc; See if they will quote you for that.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Tags
air con , air conditioning , aircon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in