1.6 i-dtec strange noise(whistling) - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 16:54 Thread Starter

Car: 2013 1.6 5 door, Alabaster
Garage
1.6 i-dtec strange noise(whistling)

Hello guys. I have a Civic 1.6 I-dtec with around 136k km on board. I am experimenting this strange sound, sort of whistling. It doesn't happen everytime and i can't figure out the exact conditions. It makes it randomly. In happens in the turbo RPM zone more often when changing gears while decreasing RPMs. Let's say i am in the second gear at 3000 RPM, hit the clutch to change to third. While the RPM goes down it whistles. Other times it makes the same sound while accelerating in the same RPM zone (over 2000 rpm). I asked the Honda dealer's mechanic and he said that is somehow normal, but this only started like 2-3k km before and i don't know what to think. What do you think? Can be the turbo? a hose? The engine didn't lose power, but it sounds raspier on start-up and idle. I maintain it really well, change oil at maximum 8k km and always use Honda or Castrol Honda Oil, never step on it cold, never kickdown under 2000 RPM.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 16:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Here you can find a recording of the noise: https://soundcloud.com/uptoeleven-3/motor
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 10:59
Wizard

Car: 2016, 1.6 i-DTEC SR, Silver
Eco display
Hi,

Sounds to me like the blow-off valve / dump valve. Perhaps some dirt got into it making it whistle ever so slightly?

I'm by no means a mechanic so don't trust my opinion 100%

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 14:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartekkk View Post
Hi,

Sounds to me like the blow-off valve / dump valve. Perhaps some dirt got into it making it whistle ever so slightly?

I'm by no means a mechanic so don't trust my opinion 100%
Thank you. I was thinking the same. But does the blow-off valve operate while accelerating? It sometimes makes the noise while accelerating also.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 19:44

Car: 2013 Civic EX 1.6 iDTEC
I haven't listened to the sound but I had a freelander that had a small hole in a boost hole that would whistle. I wouldn't always whistle but I looked at the hoses then found something had been rubbing the hose and made a slight slit in it that would let pressure out under certain conditions.
So check your hoses.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 22:07

Car: 2014 1.6 DTEC 5 Door White
There's definitely a leak somewhere. Check all of your intake pipes are on properly and don't have holes in. It also sounds like there could a hole in your exhaust system somewhere as you say it sounds raspy? My 1.6 doesn't make any sounds like this, I can barely hear the turbo at all... :'(

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page