New All Season Tyres (Goodyear Vector) - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By stimcity

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 13th October 2018, 09:55 Thread Starter

Car: 2012 2.2 Milano Red
New All Season Tyres (Goodyear Vector)

Just had four new tyres fitted. Did my market research, coincided with a Goodyear offer a few months ago.

Fitted yesterday. Impressed with the fitters. They used a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts and I rechecked them with my own torque wrench after fifty miles as recommended. Nitro inflated the tyres which I gather is more dense than air and together with other properties is good them.

As usual I was asked whether the front tracking should be checked and aware of how quickly the tread can be scrubbed with the alignment out agreed and predictably I was told it was out of alignment. By 1 mm. Agreed to have it adjusted at a cost of 30.00.

Being reasonably car savvy I wondered when I was driving away, how accurately can the alignment really be adjusted. 1 mm is a tiny measurement in the scale of things and the tyres that came off had plenty of tread and looked as they had worn fairly evenly over 20,000 miles. Multiply every car that has new front tyres fitted and a high proportion of owners accepting what they are told and having their tracking geometry adjusted and it must amount to quite a lot of money at 30.00 a throw..

Not complaining. Just a thought and accept that its correct and that a possible misalignment has been corrected, which will mean the tyres might last a bit longer.

Any views on how critical such a small amount would be and whether such a small amount is actually measureable.?.

Last edited by poor1; 14th October 2018 at 08:20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th November 2018, 12:57

Car: 8th Gen 2011 Civic 1.8
I think we have both been had. I knew one my cars had never had tracking in 10 years because of the way the tyres wore down perfectly and I shelled out 30 pounds to have 1 mm corrected! Now the car tends to steer to the left ever so slightly if I take my hands off the wheel. Never used to happen.

How are the tyres bedding in?
Thanks to johandesilva from:
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th November 2018, 14:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2012 2.2 Milano Red
No obvious adverse effects as yet in the wear. Not experiencing your problem of it veering. I would take it back and get them to check it again or have it done independently.

I do feel it is a con and there must be huge amounts of money exchanging hands across the board.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st December 2018, 01:36

Car: 2007 1.8 Type S,
It would naturally veer to the left due to the camber of the road. I've always wondered how much garages make a week charging a pound to top up everyone's washer bottles. Must be a hefty number over the year.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st December 2018, 11:27
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_STEVIE View Post
It would naturally veer to the left due to the camber of the road.
You can easily test if this is the case by driving down the wrong side of the road and see if it drifts to the right.
I won't burden you with the H&S aspect of doing this test.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 14th December 2018, 22:19
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
I'm gonna go all seasons when due to swap. Not sure if going Michelin crossclimates or goodyears or Nokians etc. I'll look into any deals at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks to Red Dwarf from:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 14th December 2018, 23:43
Supporter

Car: 2010/1 Milano FN2
Just had a set of Cross Climates put on 17s for my FN2 today as I live out in the country, noticably better just driving out of the industrial estate where they were fitted, another 30 miles picking my daughter up at 0-1 degrees on what I deem to be greasy / salty roads - where my advans were skitering at above 7 degrees getting power down, .the cross climates aren't slipping at all, even into vtec (the advans would be spinning way before). I was going to do a proper write up at some point as changed to le mans 17s from 18s and the ride is way better and already glad of the investment (I now have an 8 stack of 18s in the garage for come spring!)

Not sure how great they're going to be in the mid term with the cars power / wear etc but at I have some confidence I'll be able to get off the drive this winter hopefully!
Red Dwarf likes this.
Thanks to stimcity from:

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page