Looking for a Civic, many many questions!! - Civinfo
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 19th November 2018, 17:26 Thread Starter

Car: Civic 1.5 Sport Plus
Looking for a Civic, many many questions!!

Evening all!

Not new to Civics... had an FN2 Type R not long ago, and kind of wish I'd not sold it.. anyway

Looking for a family car and I'm tied between 8th Gen and 9th Gen.
  • A big thing for me is sat-nav, I use my car for work and often travel to strange / off the beaten track type of places where Google Maps can be a lifesaver.

I understand the 9th Gen facelift (2015+) models have mirrorlink - which will allow me to "cast" my phonescreen (google maps) onto the car-screen..is that right? And does it work?

Also, Im pretty sure on this one, but the sunroof - does it actually open? Or not? I think its just a glass non-opening roof?

Premium Sound system - is it worth it?

Headunits - if I cant get a car with sat nav, or the mirrorlink doesnt work, I'd like to add an aftermarket double-DIN headunit with Android Auto - can this be done on 9th Gen? I know 8th Gen can do it (my previous CTR had a Sony AV100H android auto and it was amazing)

Engines... Tied between the 1.8 petrol and 1.6D. I do about 8000mi/yr. Mixed driving, not a lot of motorway. All things point towards the petrol... but the 1.6D gets really good reviews. Also free road tax, and better MPG are selling points... does the 1.8 Vtec consume oil anything like the K20 from the CTR does? My CTR oil light came on several times during my ownership and scared me to death on a number of occasions!

What other benefits did the 2015 facelift bring? I have read lots of things, but a lot of them contradict, and also it can be difficult to know which posts are Euro spec and US spec, as they seem totally different!

I know on the 8th Gen, I could get an ES or EX model and it would tick all my boxes (parking sensors, folding mirrors, cruise control, HID headlights, (apart from Sat Nav... but that could be retro-fitted with an aftermarked Android Auto one)

I know less about the 9th Gen. I think the SE has all the options I want.. but not 100% sure on that)

Definitely dont want leather seats.

Any help much much appreciated!
    Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 19th November 2018, 17:46
Wizard

Car: 2016, 1.6 i-DTEC SR, Silver
Eco display
Hi,

2016 1.6 i-DTEC SR here - 1 year ownership.

In terms of family members - on numerous occasions I had 5 people in the car with no issues at all. I believe there are ISOFIX mountings as well for child seats. Boot space is the best I came across so far.

I have the Android Unit with Garmin Maps - Once updated to the latest RC8 and Maps to 2018.0, I can't really fault the maps. They're quite accurate and not really mislead me anywhere yet.
Mirrorlink is quite finnicky, I can't really get it to work well on Samsung unfortunately, but I've seen it work with other devices.

The sunroof is static, doesn't open. There's an automatic blind you can open and close. The sunroof is also shaded so the heat doesnt poor down excessively in the summer.

Can't comment on the premium sound system but the stock on facelifts with android are horrible in my opinion, planned out an upgrade in April/May.

Cars with a normal radio are quite easy to upgrade, as theres a Connects2 harness you can grab which will allow you to connect pretty much any popular manufacture, Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine and so it goes.

The 1.6D is better than the petrol from what I can tell - I test drove both before buying and immediately fell for the diesel. No problems with it so far. However, the amount of driving you'll do worries me, might not be enough to justify a diesel. I'll let others comment on this tho.

Facelift, styling and suspension changes from what I read around.

Overall, its a great car
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 19th November 2018, 17:57
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Just be aware the 1.6 Dtec engine has a DPF so unless your doing motorway mileage id avoid one. There is whole Petrol V Diesel thread around here already.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 19th November 2018, 18:35 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thank you for the helpful reply!

So, please correct me if I'm wrong... yours being a 2016 means it is a facelift..and has sat nav? Was that factory-fit from 2015 onwards as they all seem to have the screen fitted? Whereas pre-facelift looks more of a conventional radio unit...

I've not heard great reviews / feedback on MirrorLink.. also someone said that as soon as you release the handbrake it turns the mirrorlink off...is that right? If so, that would make it useless for GoogleMaps whilst driving?

So going off what you said - getting a pre-facelift non sat nav model may be the easier option - allowing me to retrofit a Sony (etc) Android Auto headunit - via the Connects2 interface? Is this a direct fit.. the headunit looks to be a funny shape? But I suppose it was on the Fn2 too, but with an adaptor that fitted a Double DIN no problem.

What about if I got a facelift model (2015+) but non sat-nav... could I swap this stereo out for an aftermarket one?

Also... the 2010-2012 models of the FN (gen8) Civic had Xenon headlights...am I right in saying Honda didnt fit these to the 9th Gen FK models? Seems odd?

Thanks!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th November 2018, 09:48

Car: Civic Tourer 1.6DTEC
I have a 9G Tourer Diesel

It is a 2015 facelift but is NOT EU6 compliant - so if you can see yourself wanting to travel into London and other cities and you choose a diesel bear this in mind. Mid-2015 on are EU6

I've had mine since 6 months old and have put on about 30k miles with no issues. No problems so far with DPF in spite of many short journeys (but plenty of longer ones too)

Mine is SR spec - in 2015 it was something like S, SE+, SR and EX in that order. I went for SR as I wanted leather - if you definitely dont want leather that will rule out SR and EX for facelift cars

The SE+ and above have the Android screen but satnav was an option on SE+ although standard on my SR

As already said the Satnav with latest maps and RC6 (or later) is excellent - in my opinion better than my BMW which has the expensive Pro Nav.

Reliability and economy wise have not been disappointed. My long term average is 56mpg over about 10k miles but this accounts for lots of short journeys

The car has a solid feel and does all we need, the only thing I dont like is the tinted rear windows and poor visibility out of the rear although the reversing camera makes up for a lot of that

It carries the family around (including the dog) fine and copes with the usual dump runs etc. My daughter learnt to drive in it too. Not fast by any means but perfectly adequate as a workhorse.

You wont go far wrong with a Honda - the main reason I bought it was because I'd had 7 trouble free years with an Accord so hopefully this will be the case with the Civic too
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th November 2018, 10:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thats really good to hear about the sat-nav being a good system! I currently have a 2015 Mini with the Pro-Nav (same as BMW) and find it pretty good.. but Google Maps is still better - especially with live traffic info etc.

Does the car have any kind of Spotify integration? Or just bluetooth audio?

SE+... if Im right this includes cruise control, folding mirrors, parking sensors?

Do all SR / EX have leather? Definitely prefer fabric personally, having had both over the years.

Your MPG sounds excellent, I'm not overly fussed about getting 70+ like some people claim, but on the occasion that we do long journeys (a few times a year) it would be nice to have the ability there to try and achieve it!

Im still very on the fence between a late FN (1.8 VTEC, ES trim (everything bar leather) and retro-fitting Android Auto sat nav
vs
FK new shape model

Older shape can be had for 6000 for an ES/EX trim with 40k miles
New shape (pre 2015) SE+ looking 9000 - 10,000 under 50k
New shape (2015+) SE+ is 11,000 under 50k
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th November 2018, 11:25
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
I wouldn't go for the facelift 1.6D if you're only doing 8k miles per year. You will end up on the back of a trailer going to the garage with DPF issues. I do 30 mile each way to work daily and have had no issues. Opt for the 1.8, I think the MPG isn't all that bad. I've had a few niggles with the NAVi system but after a few hard resets, it seems to have sorted itself out. I opted for the S Spec with NAVi so no Electric Mirrors, Cruise control, Auto Lights or Wipers but I'm now used to it. The lack of the fore mentioned doesn't bother me. Oh! and no Fogs either on the front but when I had the 8G ES, I only used them about 4 - 5 times in 5yr of motoring as I don't see them as a fashion accessory.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th November 2018, 14:03
Supporter

Car: 2015 Civic Tourer D-TEC SR
Garage
1.6 D tourer in SR spec here - 2015 facelift car, had it for two months now ~ 5k ish miles so far

i bought mine also assuming i'd be able to either plug my phone in and have mirrored google maps on the head unit OR install google maps directly on to the unit. Neither have been possible but TBH it's not a show stopper for me. Factory garmin works ok, not as good as google or waze but i can also have my nav on the phone - this sits on a magnet mount right next to the head unit so it's really not a problem. Pretty sure it's possible to install waze directly on the head unit and when i get some time i'll do that.

key things for me in choosing this car: i do big miles, so need low mpg; this is currently averaging 70 so well pleased with that. SR spec has heated leather, nav etc which i wanted. Boot is massive and a really good design - i can often fit everything we need for a family weekend into the "sub" boot under the floor leaving all of the main boot free for the dog.

with your mileage i'd be getting a petrol btw.

V happy with the SR spec. The only thing i'm missing that i would have liked would be better lights - i think the spec above the sr got leds? Mines halogens .. ok on the motorway or big a road but on twisty b roads it's not as good as my previous vRS (bi-xenons with beam bending and cornering lights). I'll prob get some better bulbs at some point but again, not really critical.
Kremmen and nturnb like this.

Last edited by rob.e; 20th November 2018 at 14:08. Reason: added the bit about the lights
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th November 2018, 14:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Interesting that you mention about the lights... this is something I'd noticed... the 8th Gen had HIDs/Xenons... wheres on the 9G they have gone back to Halogen which seems a daft move to me?! I had hoped the higher spec ones would have Xenons... but it seems not... only the Type R gets Xenons?

Having phone on magnet mount is another good option like you say, just be nice if it could be integrated in some way. With bluetooth audio I guess all the audio would come through speakers anyway... Bluetooth audio is on ALL 9G Civics...right?

Cheers for the help
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th November 2018, 14:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Notice this one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-12-H...:rk:2:razz:f:0

Has the Premium Audio System... is that the subwoofer in the boot etc?

It also has sat nav (or is this combined with premium audio..?) - would this be the Garmin unit?

Also.. this one has projector style headlights whereas other pre-facelift ones seem to be just the halogen looking bulb (non projector style) does this mean they are Xenon?
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th November 2018, 15:07
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
As I said in your other thread; The projectors on the post facelift are still halogen, but you can just pop in a HID Retrofit kit, and you'll still get a perfect beam pattern - Still an MOT Failure, but it only takes 20 minutes to switch them in and out.

The Connect headunit may be right up your alley; As it's android, you can follow along the guide I've made elsewhere to install any apps - Including waze / google maps (And spotify!). Performance isn't great, but they will work - Most of the time I default to the Garmin included, though, as it's reliable and good enough.
Mirrorlink does work for me after RC8, But I don't find it that useful - The apps that you can use are very restricted, and limited in number - No google maps or waze via mirrorlink.

The facelift also gets some suspension improvements over the pre facelift; Haven't compared myself but reviewers note improved comfort without compromised handling thanks to tweaked damper rates and the like.
rob.e likes this.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th November 2018, 17:14
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal33 View Post
Interesting that you mention about the lights... this is something I'd noticed... the 8th Gen had HIDs/Xenons... wheres on the 9G they have gone back to Halogen which seems a daft move to me?! I had hoped the higher spec ones would have Xenons... but it seems not... only the Type R gets Xenons?
EX Plus got LED headlights. Anything less than that got halogens.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st November 2018, 06:49

Car: 2013 1.6 N16a1
Quote:
Notice this one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-12-H...:rk:2:razz:f:0

Has the Premium Audio System... is that the subwoofer in the boot etc?

It also has sat nav (or is this combined with premium audio..?) - would this be the Garmin unit?

Also.. this one has projector style headlights whereas other pre-facelift ones seem to be just the halogen looking bulb (non projector style) does this mean they are Xenon?
yes, they are bi-xenon
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st November 2018, 07:23
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
That is the Premium Audio, made by Alpine, with boot subwoofer.

It isn't the Garmin unit.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st November 2018, 09:00
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
Quote:
  • A big thing for me is sat-nav, I use my car for work and often travel to strange / off the beaten track type of places where Google Maps can be a lifesaver.

I understand the 9th Gen facelift (2015+) models have mirrorlink - which will allow me to "cast" my phonescreen (google maps) onto the car-screen..is that right? And does it work?
yes it has mirrorlink. extremely finiky. i was never able to get my HTC10 phone working with it. I'd've tried both wifi and USB-C connectivity but neither worked.

I'm also on the belief mirrorlink is considered 'unsafe' whereby the car will blank the screen when the h/brake is off and your moving. Maybe it's an app supported thing (https://mirrorlink.com/apps) whereby it has to be on the list else it'll screen blank. google maps doesn't seem to be on there.
the garmin system is ok. nothing spectacular but nothing appalling either. it's always got me to the other end even if it takes you a on strange route sometimes. it is guidance assistance though so designed to get you there eventually
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st November 2018, 09:21 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thank you

I've kind of narrowed it down to two options now really... simply put.

Both max 40k miles, manual, 1.8 Petrol (would also consider 1.6D maybe), not black. 5 door.

8th Gen SE/ES/EX 2010-2012 facelift model and change the headunit to an Android Auto supporting one (must not get one with a built in sat-nav version though or Connects2 wont work).... roughly 7000. Would have cruise control (only Si model doesn't have cruise control and folding mirrors, I think). Tax is 195/yr on 1.8 petrol

9th Gen SE/SR 2015 facelift model with Garmin Nav and not need to change the headunit. Would have cruise control (only S model doesn't have cruise control I think), folding mirrors, reverse cam, bluetooth audio, parking sensors. Roughly 9000. Tax is 155/year on 1.8 petrol.

I've pretty much given up on Mirrorlink. Sat with Blackpool Honda last night for over an hour in a 2016 model without sat-nav with the sales manager trying to get Mirrorlink working, and got absolutely nowhere.

Other option is to use a magnetic phone holder and run google maps on the go that way... and I guess bluetooth audio would pass the audio through the speakers anyway - which may end up being the best / most upto date solution, rather than trying to get the perfect solution out of older tech in these cars.

I like the look of the Sport, I just wish they had bothered fitting folding mirrors to it, can't believe they didn't - every other model has it!
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st November 2018, 12:02
Supporter

Garage
bluetooth audio - only if you run the HU in bluetooth mode. I tend to have USB music on so phone satnav audio wouldnt go through the speakers.

the HFT system that will put calls via the car speakers isnt the same channel that would be used for music or satnav directions.

it's a bit of a minefield.

I've contemplated swapping the HU out for something aftermarket but havent found that unicorn device yet. i'd love for it to be FULLY intergrated and replacement for the OE unit but connect2 dont (yet) offer full support for all the external controls. I think that the Garmin satnav map licence period from new is 5 years. I'll need to buy map updates from Garmin once i'm at the 5yr mark, but the system only uses RDS-TrafficMaster for traffic updates and thats just a 10-20year old technology. It rarely works or is accurate but im sure thats down to the trafficmaster system. i've NO idea why honda/garmin didnt allow you usage of the android/ios garmin app to get data-driven traffic which is supported on all their recent standalone satnav units.

i wish i could sell it more. They've clearly spent a lot of time on the HU but it seems to miss current demands and expectations. Not just the satnav but things like the premium audio pack; there's no equaliser, just treble and bass adjustments. Yes it has a DSP, but it's hard coded and cant be tweaked based on your music tastes. When the premium pack was 600 extra iirc, it just doesnt equate into features at that price point. TypeR version had no option for subwoofer either so i had to fit my own. At least the premium speakers work well and i'm more than happy with volume and quality aspects of the system.

I've resigned myself to the fact it's a factory fitted unit and as such has the same basic features the standard units do. If your not happy with what a non-upgraded unit provides then don't focus too much on the premium one, just go with aftermarket and build it to what you want. Cost will no doubt be higher but you'll end up with a spec you want.
I use the sub-floor area in the boot for the audio kit - amps, slim subwoofer which works well and keep the interior clean, clear and one of my primary points: the interior looks un-modified.

Last edited by veehexx; 21st November 2018 at 12:06.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st November 2018, 12:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thank you for this...Can you just confirm..

On the 2015 (facelift, Garmin nav, less buttons) version, if I get in the car, turn my phone bluetooth on, launch Spotify (on my phone) and press play - the bluetooth audio will come through the car speakers?

And then load the Garmin sat-nav with a postcode - and set off... I would expect (hope) the music plays through the speakers, and the Garmin voice commands (turn left etc) cut in over the music?

Is this not how it works?

I currently drive a Mini (2015) which has the BMW iDrive in it, and that works that way...

Thank you
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st November 2018, 15:30
Supporter

Garage
yes, it works that way - audio from phone, satnav guidance from the HU.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 22nd November 2018, 08:20
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Thank you for this...Can you just confirm..

On the 2015 (facelift, Garmin nav, less buttons) version, if I get in the car, turn my phone bluetooth on, launch Spotify (on my phone) and press play - the bluetooth audio will come through the car speakers?
Yes. and on apple music the next/ back commands on the steering wheel change the track, and the track info appears on the top display.

Quote:
And then load the Garmin sat-nav with a postcode - and set off... I would expect (hope) the music plays through the speakers, and the Garmin voice commands (turn left etc) cut in over the music?
Yes. Garmin doesn't mute the music, but the nav commands come over the top - works fine.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page