9G Sport Mesh Grille - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 13:55 Thread Starter

Just noticed that the lower grille on the front bumper of my 9G sport is starting to rust.

I'm surprised that it appears to be made of metal albeit coated. I had assumed that it was plastic.

Has anyone else got this problem and if so what's the odds on getting resolution with the anti corrosion warranty. My car is just over 3 years old and free from stone chips so it's unlikely they could use that as an excuse to wriggle out.

Photo>>>

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tGoAhhD8yE7uwAtf6

Last edited by CraigUK; 9th February 2019 at 14:03.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 15:00
Supporter

Car: 2016 1.8 Sport Orchid White
Just been out to check mine and it seems OK . Mileage is just under 15000, was 3 years old on Jan 30th.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 16:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Pleased that your car is OK Bill. Mine was 3 last October, currently around 28k miles. I'll call by the dealer in the week to see what they have to say.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 16:34
Supporter

Car: 2016 1.8 Sport Orchid White
Years ago when I had a Mazda and had to drive a lot more-- including following gritter lorries down the M1 I found I had to replace a lot of plated bolts with stainless ones as despite hosing the car down after it got covered in salt they still corroded.
I wonder if it salt damage to your grill ? My last car was a Jazz, and I was surprised to see how rusty the drop link bolts were after the first winter-- when I pointed them out to the dealer at the service they just put some grease on them, so I am not sure Hondas are very rustproof. However, I think as the grille is bodywork you should be covered by the rust warranty.
Good luck with the dealers.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 16:39

Garage
Ours is about 15 months old. Also a 9G sport, so we have the same mesh. We're at 32k km, so lots of miles, and two salt filled winters, no sign of rust. We do rinse the salt off, about once a week, using those wand touchless washes' spot free setting.

I hope it's just poor coating on yours and Honda fix it under warranty. Will definitely be keeping an eye on ours from now on, and on this thread. Let us know how you get on.

Last edited by peniole; 9th February 2019 at 16:42.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 17:03 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

It could well be to do with road salt although the coating would need to be breached for any corrosion to start. I've not been able to wash the car for a bout 3 weeks but in the grand scheme of things that shouldn't cause things to deteriorate at such a rate. When I do wash it I use a pressure washer and always give a reasonable blast to remove any debris from the radiator and intercooler.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 18:55
Dutch

Car: 2015 Sport 1.6 sporty blue
Garage
I had it on my 8g also. Not yet seen on my 9g yet.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 18:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Well after a bit of research the mesh grille on the sport is the same as on the Type R and costs circa 100. The grille off the SE model is considerably cheaper and as it's plastic will not rust. Hopefully my dealer will play ball and replace it.

Links to both parts below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUI...UAAOSwhY9cPKvb

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-H...YAAOSwJLJcRs~E
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10th February 2019, 23:45
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Blimey, That's rather more extensive than I was expecting.

If the dealers don't replace it, I'd be tempted to pop it out, wire brush off any rust etc., and give it a new rattle can spray - You could even stencil on AIRTEC whilst you're at it - It looks like you could even just replace the mesh.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11th February 2019, 09:48

Sand rusted area & respray gloss black <10 to sort that no need for a new grill.
Would imagine it would take you more time to prep, insert cardboard behind it & mask off surrounding area before you respray.
Unless it comes apart easily?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11th February 2019, 18:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Well I was all set to go to the dealership on the way home from work but after reading the paint and anti corrosion warranty first I figured it wasn't worth my effort. Essentially the paint is warranted to be free from rust for 3 years and after that named components are covered by the corrosion warranty.

I suspect that I'll do as has been said and will paint it myself. Unfortunately to remove the grille the front bumper needs to come off which no doubt isn't a 2 minute job. With that in mind I'll have to try and mask it in place and either spray or use something like hammerite smooth. Descaling and removing rust in situ won't be that easy though.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th March 2019, 22:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Just to close this one out, took the car to the dealer albeit it was 4 months out of warranty. They took some photos and Honda payed for the replacement part under good will and I stumped up for the fitting charge. All things considered, happy with the result.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page