Reliable used buy? 1.6 DTEC - Civinfo
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12th March 2019, 19:04 Thread Starter

Question Reliable used buy? 1.6 DTEC

Hi all

No stranger to Civic's having run a 2006 1.8 for 100,000 miles. But I did wander around to different vehicles since then and currently drive a Prius.... out of necessity of course.

I had tried to stay away from diesel, so the most economical petrol machine going is just about the Prius! It will do 55MPG and it costs about 10p a mile to run. But, I do miss having a bit of go and I do miss having a little more involvement. 1.6DTEC looks like it might be a decent choice given the performance and the economy on offer (60+ MPG real world).

My drive is 35 miles each way. Mix of M-Way and cross country. Some needs/wants:

If I can keep the 10p a mile that would be great.
If I can get more than a week out of a tank, also great.
Is there lumbar support?
Is it comfortable for an hour or so (the Prius is borderline as the seats are a bit weird. However, my last civic wasn't great).
Is it reliable?

I am looking at 2013/14 cars, often with close to 100k miles. I don't mind miles as long as the condition is good and service history up to date. Suspect as well that these higher mile cars have been bashing the motorways and so are less likely to have typical diesel problems caused by trundling round town for 5 minutes a day.

Having said that, my Civic was just about done at 100k miles. The engine was about the only thing that was still purring like new. Everything else got tatty and battered looking.

I can do my own servicing (and we have access to tools for forcing DPF regens at work). So.... a worthy buy? things to look out for? Trim level that is bang/buck? (IIRC its S, SE, ES EX still right?)

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12th March 2019, 19:45

I have a similar drive to you. 35 miles each way. I dont really get 60. More like 55 mpg. 1/2 tank or so a week. SE-NAV.

I have done 25k in mine now. It definitely feels like it needs a service and brake pad check and a good hand over everything and it will over the weekend.

Heaven knows what it is going to feel like at 100k.

I ran high mileage bmws before that. Thundering performance, 45mpg and rarely needed work. Just an oil change on time.....2xx per year tax though.

Hope this helps in some way.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 01:14

Car: 2014 1.6 DTEC 5 Door White
I have a 1.6 dtec, currently at 130k miles on the original clutch. I change the oil every 8k miles and do a full service every other oil change. So far the only thing that has needed fixing is the air con condenser (due to stone damage I guess)

If I can get more than a week out of a tank, also great. - I go around 1 1/2 to 2 weeks on a tank. Can get up to 600 miles a tank
Is there lumbar support? - Not adjustable but the seat is curved in that area
Is it comfortable for an hour or so (the Prius is borderline as the seats are a bit weird. However, my last civic wasn't great). - I do two 1 hour trips every day, and have also driven 4 hour trips to Wales. It's the most comfortable car I have owned. Nice seats and lots of leg room for a quick stretch etc.
Is it reliable? - As previously mentioned

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 09:47
Supporter

Car: 2015 Civic Tourer D-TEC SR
Garage
1.6 d-tec here, 2015 facelift model tourer, had it since sept, bought at 86k miles, will trip over the 100k mark later this week

my commute is 120 miles a day and the car also gets used for longer trips at the weekend. averaging 650 miles from a tank, 70mpg average according to the car (suspect this is a couple of mpg over reality).

mine's a SR model, so heated leather seats, electrically adjustable side bolsters and lumbar on the drivers side - really good seat actually, super comfy which is essential given the time i spend in the car.

looked at LOTS of other stuff before i got this - nothing comes close in terms of equipment, mpg, space, reliability etc

Been 100% reliable - only things i've spent money on are replacing dampers (pretty tired OEM dampers were fit for the bin at 86k miles) so bilsteins fitted along with eibach spring kit as i think the stock ride hight looks a bit silly (too high).
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 10:05

Hi,

What were your symptoms of your tired dampers? As previously mentioned mine is at 130K now; bought at 106k so I'm not sure I know what the suspension is supposed to feel like.

Many thanks
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 10:47
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaintaylor View Post
Hi,

What were your symptoms of your tired dampers? As previously mentioned mine is at 130K now; bought at 106k so I'm not sure I know what the suspension is supposed to feel like.

Many thanks
They just get less effective over time. Floaty over crests, crashy on rough roads, just a general feeling that the movement of the vehicle isn't being properly controlled.

I guess it also depends what you're used to. I've been running company cars for the last 10+ yrs so always relatively new vehicles, plus GTI/ vRS is going to be firmer damped than the civic - hence this felt very solf/ uncontrolled to me - tbh if yours is on original dampers at 130k they're going to be toast.

Mines way nicer with the bilsteins on - firmer than stock but that's what i wanted.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 11:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

thanks for the input chaps

Familiar with the dampers issue. My old civic needed new ones at about 60k. It also ate 3 sets of drop links in that time and in the end I just gave up replacing them. Clutch too was weak, by 100k it was just about OK but a new one would have improved things. 9th Gen doesn't seem to be radically different to the 8th underneath so I think its to be expected that some of these issues have transfered. They're not world ending though and my overriding memory is the bullet proof powertrain, I just hope that extends to their diesel!

55-60 MPG ball park works for me with current price difference in fuels. So thats good. 600 miles on a tank would nearly get me 2 weeks. Also good.

Sounds like if I can snag an SR, thats the one to get, but looking on AT its confusing as there are S, SE, ES, SE plus, SE Plus T, Sport etc. I am guessing SE, SE plus, SR are the ones to look at (i need cruise!).
rob.e likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 14:11

Car: 2012 EX 1.8 i-VTEC Manual
Interesting, mine is at about 60k miles now and have been wondering if the dampers are knackered, so interesting yours were replaced at around the same mileage. Have also wondered about the clutch, also seems very weak.

Thanks
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 15:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

My clutch only really ever slipped in winter in first, and my wifes Mazda 3 does that now also and its much much newer. In summer it was fine so perhaps it is just a something that occurs when things are pretty cold. Though it did become that you could never really feel a definite bite point! as I say, never actually slipped when warm.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 15:37
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by almason86 View Post

Sounds like if I can snag an SR, thats the one to get, but looking on AT its confusing as there are S, SE, ES, SE plus, SE Plus T, Sport etc. I am guessing SE, SE plus, SR are the ones to look at (i need cruise!).
From your original post you mentioned lumbar support - that's only on SR and EX-Plus.

When i was looking there were hardly any EX-Plus around (guess because it was pretty expensive new) but lots of choice of SR, hence thats' what i got. Only thing i miss from EX-Plus would be the led lights (SR has halogens) other than that the SR is spot on IMO.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 15:50

Car: 1.6 i-DTEC
Would you all buy the 9g Diesel again?

I bought it because it is the most economic car in this class while not being underpowered.
Great feeling (engine power, suspension, steering, doors, plastics inside although a bit scratchy), huge space, low costs so far overall.

BUT:
- I hate that I need to change so many gears to pick up speed without pushing the engine. Petrol gets there smoother if you know what I mean.
- Emissions in Germany (not a Civic problem but in general), Euro 5 car will get banned in bigger cities.
- For one person commuting it is actually too much car.

At last there is the fan noise and also my seat has a flapping noise in the backrest, like there is a pad loose or something, and squeaking springs(?) depending on road surface and temperature. Might be only on my car, but still...
My 23 year old EJ Civic didn't have anything noisy inside. Bummer...

Thinking about getting a Mazda MX 5 or Swift Sport in the near future. Both very low on fuel consumption and high fun factor I think. All keeping in mind that my commute is just 25 km one way. So that's the absolute low end for me where a Diesel is beneficial. But then I nearly got a CR-Z which was also fantastic to drive
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 16:06
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift 5DR
Quote:
Hi all

No stranger to Civic's having run a 2006 1.8 for 100,000 miles. But I did wander around to different vehicles since then and currently drive a Prius.... out of necessity of course.

I had tried to stay away from diesel, so the most economical petrol machine going is just about the Prius! It will do 55MPG and it costs about 10p a mile to run. But, I do miss having a bit of go and I do miss having a little more involvement. 1.6DTEC looks like it might be a decent choice given the performance and the economy on offer (60+ MPG real world).

My drive is 35 miles each way. Mix of M-Way and cross country. Some needs/wants:

Is there lumbar support?
Is it comfortable for an hour or so (the Prius is borderline as the seats are a bit weird. However, my last civic wasn't great).
Is it reliable?

I am looking at 2013/14 cars, often with close to 100k miles. I don't mind miles as long as the condition is good and service history up to date. Suspect as well that these higher mile cars have been bashing the motorways and so are less likely to have typical diesel problems caused by trundling round town for 5 minutes a day.

Having said that, my Civic was just about done at 100k miles. The engine was about the only thing that was still purring like new. Everything else got tatty and battered looking.

I can do my own servicing (and we have access to tools for forcing DPF regens at work). So.... a worthy buy? things to look out for? Trim level that is bang/buck? (IIRC its S, SE, ES EX still right?)

Many thanks!
Ok, I'll try my best to answer here as its a complicated question.

With regards to the ownership of 10p pr mile, the 1.6 will be higher, because the purchase price is usually higher for a newer model of car and the 1.8 Prius came out in 2009. Servicing costs will be higher with the Honda because there's much more to do on it, which brings me to my next point.

The Prius although perhaps not as comfortable as you like, is pretty about as rock solid as you're ever going to get from a car. The reason is the drivetrain is remarkably simple compared to that of a turbo charged, direct injection high pressure diesel. Theres no alternator, loads less parts to go wrong because they aren't needed in the hybrid drivetrain.

Theres also been loads of Prius taxis going well beyond a quarter of a million miles and driving like new.

If you want something with a but more punch and also want it to be reliable and frugal, have a lot at the IS300H. 200BHP from a hybrid with 10 a year tax and driven with some compassion can achieve high 50's in MPG. High purchase price though.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 16:26
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningslow View Post
Ok, I'll try my best to answer here as its a complicated question.

With regards to the ownership of 10p pr mile, the 1.6 will be higher, because the purchase price is usually higher for a newer model of car and the 1.8 Prius came out in 2009. Servicing costs will be higher with the Honda because there's much more to do on it, which brings me to my next point.

The Prius although perhaps not as comfortable as you like, is pretty about as rock solid as you're ever going to get from a car. The reason is the drivetrain is remarkably simple compared to that of a turbo charged, direct injection high pressure diesel. Theres no alternator, loads less parts to go wrong because they aren't needed in the hybrid drivetrain.

Theres also been loads of Prius taxis going well beyond a quarter of a million miles and driving like new.

If you want something with a but more punch and also want it to be reliable and frugal, have a lot at the IS300H. 200BHP from a hybrid with 10 a year tax and driven with some compassion can achieve high 50's in MPG. High purchase price though.
prius has two motors, one electric one petrol. not sure why you'd say that was simple drive train?

taxi guys have a particular useage - lots of urban, stop start so the hybrid / battery works well for those guys vs. say a regular diesel. for non taxi drivers though in regular use the hybrid doesn't really stack up - longer trips means the battery is irrelvant plus you have all that extra weight to carry around.. not a good solution for high miles driver IMO.

IS looks like a nice car but they are very expensive compared to a civic (like twice as much). small boot (saloon only?) would also rule it out for me plus won't get the mpg like a 1.6d honda. Only benefit i can see is the performance - but that isn't what the OP was asking for ?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 17:24
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Hi all

Is there lumbar support?
Is it reliable?

Many thanks!
Does that 10p a mile factor in depreciation? Also, just about done at 100k miles??? It must have been properly mistreated then, my 2006 2.2 iCTDi has just gone through MOT with NO advisories and is on 174k miles. It drives spot on too.

You're not going to go wrong with any of the Civic's of those years.
Farqui and Chasesdragons like this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 17:37
Supporter

So, I've owned 8g and 9g and can share some costs....

Annual my costs were (for 25k miles).. over a 5 year period.
Depreciation - 1000
Fuel - 3000
Servicing - 200
Tyres - 100
Miscellanous Parts / Repairs - 200
Insurance - 350
Tax - 150
So about 5k per annum.
That works out, at 20p per mile... and that is CHEAP motoring.

My 9g is new, but I'm hoping for.... at least for first couple of years;

Depreciation - 2500
Fuel - 2000
Servicing - Included
Tyres - 100
Miscellanous Parts / Repairs - 50
Insurance - 350
Tax - 0

So, 20p per mile.....

Then, after a couple of years, servicing costs will go up, depreciation down, as we get out of warrenty.... so maintain a similar cost.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 18:16

Car: Civic Tourer 1.6DTEC
I'd slightly question the figure of 100 for tyres

My 9G has got through 2 front tyres in around 30k miles and these cost around 200

So not sure how in 25k it's only costing 100
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquartch View Post
I'd slightly question the figure of 100 for tyres

My 9G has got through 2 front tyres in around 30k miles and these cost around 200

So not sure how in 25k it's only costing 100
I can get Goodyear Efficient Grips for about 125, both sides fitted in my 9th Gen. So it should benpossible to locate a pair at 100 - obviously the lower we go, the more compromising the tyres capabilities will be!

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 14th March 2019, 10:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.e View Post
prius has two motors, one electric one petrol. not sure why you'd say that was simple drive train?

taxi guys have a particular useage - lots of urban, stop start so the hybrid / battery works well for those guys vs. say a regular diesel. for non taxi drivers though in regular use the hybrid doesn't really stack up - longer trips means the battery is irrelvant plus you have all that extra weight to carry around.. not a good solution for high miles driver IMO.

IS looks like a nice car but they are very expensive compared to a civic (like twice as much). small boot (saloon only?) would also rule it out for me plus won't get the mpg like a 1.6d honda. Only benefit i can see is the performance - but that isn't what the OP was asking for ?
I work in Automotive R&D so I know all about drivetrains most people haven't seen yet. Prius is very simple by virtue of its Power-Split-Device. Its not a CVT, its just a simple planatary gear set with two motor-generator units and an ICE on the inputs. The relative speeds of all these control the speed of the car, control how power is blended. Its very clever. Very simple. ICE is low torque, faux-Atkinson cycle, natural aspiration and port injection. Chain cams, no ancillaries except I think the oil pump. Everything else runs off the inverter. Its the reason I bought it. However, to drive it is starting to just bore me too much. And you're kind of right, it does make more sense in more stop-start traffic where you can keep the battery full with braking events, but even on my usage, I see 50+ mpg. Some times dips to the high 40's though and at that point my wifes Mazda 3 skyactiv petrol is doing about the same. Then again these cars are a generation apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacivicnut View Post
Does that 10p a mile factor in depreciation? Also, just about done at 100k miles??? It must have been properly mistreated then, my 2006 2.2 iCTDi has just gone through MOT with NO advisories and is on 174k miles. It drives spot on too.

You're not going to go wrong with any of the Civic's of those years.
10p a mile is just fuel. Thats my most visible cost. Tax/Insurance etc are generally similar between cars, same with tyres. I do my own servicing and they all need servicing and it all costs about the same.

On my Civic the suspension was tired, the clutch was tired, the interior was very tired, i had a rear caliper seize on, the sun managed to bleach the material on the seats! The center console structure was so weak it used to flex around when you rested on it. The mud flaps used to catch on absolutely everything and get damaged, got sick of replacing them in the end. Headlamps had started to cloud, the fog lamps managed to lose all their silver reflector (really not sure how that happened), stone chips all over the bonnet, many of which had gone down to the metal and had gone rusty, the paint seemed incredibly soft.

It got looked after OK. Its just a tool afterall. I mean it was serviced on time and properly, bits were replaced when they were broken, cleaned regularly etc but it still felt like it was falling apart (except the engine) at 100k and 11 years old.
Farqui likes this.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 14th March 2019, 11:08

My ex 2008 2.2 i-cdti (which my dad is now using) is currently on 125k and the only similar issues to yours are the suspension, clutch (replaced at 100k) and the mudflaps (worst things in the world). The interior is like new other than scratches on the RPM counters UV coating.

Each car is different I guess. His EP3 Type R had old age issues - both back calipers seized and needed rebuilding, lots of suspension issues, wheels bearings and needed a new clutch. That was all at 120k.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 14th March 2019, 11:09

Car: Civic Tourer 1.6DTEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasesdragons View Post
I can get Goodyear Efficient Grips for about 125, both sides fitted in my 9th Gen. So it should benpossible to locate a pair at 100 - obviously the lower we go, the more compromising the tyres capabilities will be!

Maybe my wheels are bigger (I have 17 inch) than yours because I definitely can't get a pair of EfficientGrips fitted for 125 let alone 100 (probably around 160)

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page