2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Stone chips

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  rob.e 
#1 ·
Evening all. I've discovered a few stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet. I've seen a company on the net called chipex. Has anyone used this paint repair product? I'm interested to hear your experiences before I go ahead and purchase a kit. Thanks

#4 ·
Hi. I've tried it. It's ok but don't expect the results claimed. In reality it is just a thick touch up paint with some pointy bits of plastic for you to touch up the chip and some thinners to smooth it down. Theory is ok but it's dead easy to rub out what you've applied so you are back to square one. As said earlier you may as well buy the Honda one.

#7 ·
Yep, Soft paint - Nothing can be done, short of having a PPF (Paint protection film) installed.

I've got a cheap bottle of touch up paint from ebay; It's a reasonable enought colour match though not perfect (To be fair, I've never bothered adding the clear coat on top) - Enought to stop the dings from oxidising in future, and slightly reducing the visual impact.

#9 ·
I bought a Chipex kit a few years ago and to be honest I didn't think it was worth the money. It didn't quite work or look as good as in the promo videos.

I would recommend buying the touch up paint kit from Honda, much cheaper and will do exactly the same job.

#11 ·
Whilst I won't speak for smart repairs as I've never had one, I can say that touchup kits are a good quick patch - But that is all they are.

The touchup will often be a slightly different shade, and it's quite difficult to get a proper smooth finish. - That being said, It's better than leaving the panel exposed as it will prevent corrosion in the future - As above.

#12 ·
Mine has a few chips on the bonnet that have already started rusting a bit. Do I have to sand them down before applying the touch paint?
It makes sense to sand it but in the process I'll probably sand the good paint around the chip as impossible to sand only the chipped part.

#13 ·
Hi. Personally I don't sand down and just use a sharp implement to scrape out any rust and if necessary make the indentation larger. It gives an edge to build the paint up. Use a needle or pin to apply the paint. A light metal polish and a few coats to get it level if you have the time.

#14 ·
Hello chasew
I know about this company and I have bought the product.
disagree with those replies above it is very good an does the job well certainly has on my bonnet
The big problem with it is, you have to be very patient watch all the videos learn and practice it
is not a quick fix,it takes time and patience to get showroom finish.you can do it if you are patient
Dirkhonda 1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.