Year 6 Service Hassle - Civinfo
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Haltamer
  • 1 Post By Biscuitman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2019, 23:56 Thread Starter

Year 6 Service Hassle

So tried to book a year 6 service on a 13 1.4ivtec with 58k, all straight forward apart from the 535 quote and they want to change coolant and gear oil ?? Take it the dealer is making up their own service schedule ??!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2019, 13:11
Supporter

Yeah my dealer wanted to do those plus an air con service, rear brake pads and a couple of front tyres........almost 1000 of extras....fat chance
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2019, 15:27
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
There are some classic upsells from the dealer; My recent second year service came with offers of an aircon regas, glorified-redex, and a brake service (Take out and whack on some copper anti-sieze)

To be fair in this instance, as it's up to 6 years now, I'd say you are due for transmission oil and Coolant; The factory coolant is usually given a 5 year service time with shorter ~3 year intervals after this.
Whilst it's not the most critical thing to change, it's worth keeping on top of if you want the longest life.

As for the transmission, It should be replaced at 6 years / 75000 Miles on a normal service schedule, so that's a legitimate reccomendation too imo:- https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nf...ZT70e19Oo_QGWl Have a look at page 74
Farqui likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2019, 18:16
Supporter

To be frank I don't disagree but when they slide other 'recommendations' in at the same time and charge eye watering amounts they can't be surprised if people balk at the price and don't take them up on these. Next time I will study the service schedule more closely

20 for 2L of Honda MT Fluid - 85 charge
24 for 6L of Honda coolant - 85 charge

I'll keep my Honda FSH and save myself 150 by doing it myself
Haltamer likes this.

Last edited by Biscuitman; 3rd April 2019 at 18:28.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2019, 18:28
Supporter

Garage
I don't disagree - could probably save a bit on the fluid changes if you took up a bit of driveway spannering.

Have a look at the chrisfix videos - a benefit of the 1.4 is that it's a nice simple NA engine in a bay for va 2.2 diesel, so it's as good a place as any to look around and access parts if you want to try your hand.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2019, 18:43
Supporter

Garage
Oh, and for specific advice check both my own share and the ge8 jazz service manual - it uses a nearly identical l13z1 engine so the vast majority of servicing items are the same.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Thanks to Haltamer from:

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page