4Likes
  • 1 Post By Red Dwarf
  • 1 Post By sasquartch
  • 1 Post By poor1
  • 1 Post By cavalrystu

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 21st April 2019, 13:36 Thread Starter

Old car low miles

Looking to buy a 2012+ 1.6 DTEC civic (0 road tax and 75mpg damn straight I want to buy one).

Found a 63 plate for shy of 8k with just 18,000 miles. Sounds great but easiest way to kill a diesel from my knowledge and experience is to not drive them a lot.

Apparently DPF and a few other bits just die quickly if the car isnt used properly.

There's another same model also 63 plate cheaper at 7500 with 26.5k miles advertised but since ringing said its 41k and they advertised its mileage when it was last bought from them -sounds dodgy to me. I get the first person ditching after 3 years - leases etc people get new cars every 3 years. But who buys a 2nd hand diesel, and does 15k in 3 years and ditches it afterwards? Seems weird.

Has a FSH 3 years Honda 3 years independent.

Anyone here buy a civic with low mileage high years? 6 years for 18-40k miles is insanely low.

I do 25k miles a year so....

Of course the salesman has said "We've never had to replace a dpf on a civic they work great".

I said if he was that confident give me a 6 month/10k mile guarantee where you pay if it dies on me and he said Honda dont warranty or guarantee the dpf. I asked if they warranty all other aspects of the car - he said yes.

I asked why if Honda are so confident of their dpf why dont they warranty them and usual "driving style" spiel -to which I said thats my point, 6 years 40k miles is a crappy driving style for diesels with notorious dpf's.

I am going to test drive it - is there any way to electronically remove the dpf warning light or delay it for a while? How many miles should I do to try and get the dpf back on the dash IF it has an issue and has been reset (if possible).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2019, 16:08

Car: 2012 2.2 Milano Red
I believe the one to go for is the 2112, 2.2 top of the range with leather seats. Fabulous car and as Iv'e said previously difficult to know what to replace it with eventually. Few and far between, DPF is the question mark for the future but there does not seem to be any consistent pattern from what is reported on this form, although Iv'e had no problem.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2019, 12:42
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
I would say not driving them isn't a problem. It's driving short stop start journeys and not letting the DPF do a regen that will cause problems if repeatedly fails to complete its regen. If your doing motorway mileage then I would say you'd be ok just make sure your journeys give it time to reach operating temperature and allow a good 20-30 minutes after for a regen to occur and complete if one begins. If need be do a forced regen by running at 2500 revs for 20-30 constant minutes. The DPF on these engines was deliberately placed nearer the engine to ensure higher exhaust temperatures to help with the longevity and regen of the DPF. Ultimately all will fail when full of ash from successive regents but thats down to how much soot you create when driving which might be related to which cetane rating Diesel you use or has been used and driving style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Das likes this.
Thanks to Red Dwarf from:

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2019, 13:46

Car: Civic Tourer 1.6DTEC
My 1.6 Tourer is used for a lot of short journeys (and longer ones too) and at 43k miles we've not had any problems

I've used HDS to check that regens have completed successfully

As long as you do journeys that result in the engine getting up to temp and do reasonably frequent longer runs you're unlikely to have any issues

Also I think your estimate of 75mpg might be a little optimistic. I'd say around 60mpg on a normal motorway run, you'd have to stay at around 55mph to get 75mpg I'd say

But great cars all the same
scaramanga likes this.
Thanks to sasquartch from:
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 07:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Would love to get a 2.2 but insurance would kill me lol. Only have 3 years NCB as rode a motorbike for years so not much car experience according to the insurance companies. Even the 1.6 will be 2k odd with no claims in 5 years.

Also focusing on mileage as much as possible due to high miles. I am sure my driving wont be an issue for the DPF, just worried the original 41k not done by me has set the DPF down an irreversibly damaged path I will inherit.

When you say never half complete a regen, lets say I have done 45 of my ~50 mile work journey and the dpf regen light pops on - I need to keep driving? My journey home would be another 50 - would it hurt to not complete it and instead do it on the home journey?

Or does the user have control of when it is done by the push of a button or does the car automatically try to do it?

As to mileage - I tend to drive softly and 60mph so hopefully will get at least decent 60's out of it. Getting 45mpg out a banger 2007 petrol so if the diesel only gets 50 thats pretty dreadful considering diesel is starting to get 15% pricier than petrol.

Last edited by TwistedHelix; 25th April 2019 at 07:10.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 08:42

Car: 2016 Civic 1.8 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedHelix View Post
Would love to get a 2.2 but insurance would kill me lol. Only have 3 years NCB as rode a motorbike for years so not much car experience according to the insurance companies. Even the 1.6 will be 2k odd with no claims in 5 years.
What?!! 2000 insurance premium for a 1.6 Civic is crazy... unless you're a teenager or had a previous driving ban etc.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 08:46
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by poor1 View Post
I believe the one to go for is the 2112, 2.2 top of the range with leather seats. Fabulous car and as Iv'e said previously difficult to know what to replace it with eventually. Few and far between, DPF is the question mark for the future but there does not seem to be any consistent pattern from what is reported on this form, although Iv'e had no problem.
I suppose if he waits the 83 years to get one then his insurance will be a lot cheaper
Thanks to flashy from:
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 13:54

Car: Civic Tourer 1.6DTEC
Quote:
When you say never half complete a regen, lets say I have done 45 of my ~50 mile work journey and the dpf regen light pops on - I need to keep driving? My journey home would be another 50 - would it hurt to not complete it and instead do it on the home journey?

Or does the user have control of when it is done by the push of a button or does the car automatically try to do it?
I don't think there's anything to indicate a regen is in progress on the dashboard

You can tell by a few tell tale signs, ie fuel economy drops very markedly, idle speed increases and the fans come on - all of which you would only recognize with experience. I knew a regen was in progress when I stopped the other day and immediately went for a hard 10 minute drive to ensure it completed, however my wife would have no idea anything was different or even what a regen is.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 21:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle1987 View Post
What?!! 2000 insurance premium for a 1.6 Civic is crazy... unless you're a teenager or had a previous driving ban etc.
32 years old (nearly). Rode a motorbike since 22, got my car license aged 28 (Had a kid, so got nagged by the wife to get one lol). No criminal activity or bans or speeding. Clean bike and car license. Had a prang back in 2012/13 on the bike but was 100% other drivers fault.

It's about 2k I am being quoted. Might be where I live, and its fully comp, not TPFT. New build estate and they don't have car crime stats - so they assume the worst and consider it to be as hostile as Syria. Hell, my crappy old 2007 banger was nearly 1k and the insurance company agreed with the car's value of 50 lol.

Sasquartch - Bit cheeky of Honda to bang on about driving styles for the DPF when it doesn't even tell you when it is happening to give it some beans. Luckily I am a "what's that noise" driver. My mechanic hates me. Every time I give my car to him he wonders what butterfly wings I heard pass by lol.

That's my only concern really, the two owners did 26k and 14k, 3 years each. Seems a little low, but the test drive went fine and it seemed smooth and had power - though a go-kart powered by tortoises will feel fast compared to my little 1.25 petrol.
If the DPF was knackered would a 5 mile test drive ping up the ole management lights etc? I guess my huge mileage will help given if it is knackered I will spot it within a week and chuck the keys back under lemon law stuff.

Cheers everyone for your input - very much appreciated.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 26th April 2019, 14:09
Supporter

Hi,
The 1.6 is MUCH more efficient that the 2.2, and is designed from the beginning to have a DPF. It's located very close to the engine, so gets hotter, quicker.

Mine is brilliant, Zero tax. If you really care about risk, get a DEALER one. You'll maybe pay 1k more, but you get 1 year UNLIMITED mileage warranty that is just like the day it was new... so everything is covered, no quibble.

In terms of insurance, my first car (after having a company car) was a 2.2 Civic. No NCB of my own, and in 30's... I paid 350 Fully Comp. I now pay 205 fully comp with 5 years NCB.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 26th April 2019, 14:29
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
I agree with someone above don't expect anywhere near 75mpg unless you doing long journeys on flat roads around 50mph
at speed on long journeys my 2.2 was better than 1.6
some routes journeys I do the 1.6 is better on fuel but no way near as much fun to drive the difference between the 2 engines is massive
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 26th April 2019, 16:21
I Hate tailgaters!

Eco display Eco display
Garage
With cruise set at 60mph on way home from holidays a motorway cruise gives me 78mpg. However according to my gps speedo on my dashcam it's says I'm only doing 56mph.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 28th April 2019, 07:35 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Got the car.

Had to do 10 or so miles of dual carriageway. While accelerating had 50mpg and once in 6th cruising at 60-65mph the indicator just sat at 100mpg.

Tank extrapolated 197 miles from approx 1/4 tank so 780 miles per tank indicated -Ill get better figures once I start my usual 100/110 mile commute. On holiday right now.

How on earth did you get your insurance that low?!?!
My wife owns a 8G civic and hers is 600 odd with 7-8 years NCB, zero crashes ever and 31 years old.

Must be my location doing most of the work.

I guess south east UK is the heaviest populated and has higher crime stats.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 28th April 2019, 08:31

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift, Black
Quote:
32 years old (nearly). Rode a motorbike since 22, got my car license aged 28 (Had a kid, so got nagged by the wife to get one lol). No criminal activity or bans or speeding. Clean bike and car license. Had a prang back in 2012/13 on the bike but was 100% other drivers fault.

It's about 2k I am being quoted. Might be where I live, and its fully comp, not TPFT. New build estate and they don't have car crime stats - so they assume the worst and consider it to be as hostile as Syria. Hell, my crappy old 2007 banger was nearly 1k and the insurance company agreed with the car's value of 50 lol.

Sasquartch - Bit cheeky of Honda to bang on about driving styles for the DPF when it doesn't even tell you when it is happening to give it some beans. Luckily I am a "what's that noise" driver. My mechanic hates me. Every time I give my car to him he wonders what butterfly wings I heard pass by lol.

That's my only concern really, the two owners did 26k and 14k, 3 years each. Seems a little low, but the test drive went fine and it seemed smooth and had power - though a go-kart powered by tortoises will feel fast compared to my little 1.25 petrol.
If the DPF was knackered would a 5 mile test drive ping up the ole management lights etc? I guess my huge mileage will help given if it is knackered I will spot it within a week and chuck the keys back under lemon law stuff.

Cheers everyone for your input - very much appreciated.
Not trying to brag or anything, but I'm 26 years old, 3 years NCB and I drive an '07 1.8 EX Civic. My insurance is due in May, and the best quote I got was 650 for fully comp (added my partner as an additional driver, but she only has a UK provisional license). However, I've had my license (Full EU) since 2010 so maybe that makes quite a difference. Make sure you go on all comparison websites and try all the possible combinations. Also, make sure you add an additional driver (your spouse) since that might bring the price down for you too. Hope this helps with your search / decision! Cheers!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 6th May 2019, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfayaJammer View Post
Not trying to brag or anything, but I'm 26 years old, 3 years NCB and I drive an '07 1.8 EX Civic. My insurance is due in May, and the best quote I got was 650 for fully comp (added my partner as an additional driver, but she only has a UK provisional license). However, I've had my license (Full EU) since 2010 so maybe that makes quite a difference. Make sure you go on all comparison websites and try all the possible combinations. Also, make sure you add an additional driver (your spouse) since that might bring the price down for you too. Hope this helps with your search / decision! Cheers!
The high cost of Honda insurance is compensated for on the 2.2 (2012) by the 20.00 Road Tax. Cant understand why Honda insurance is so expensive. I recently had an Audi TT with 200 bhp engine and that was 200.00 less than the Civic.

Not always true that it will cost less when the spouse is included. My Experience: I have previously had a good deduction for including the spouse but this time round I had to pay an extra 50.00. So its best to check with the insurer.
ConfayaJammer likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10th May 2019, 14:58
Supporter

When i got my first Civic (2.2 Diesel), I was mid 30's, no ncb as coming from Company Car, and 1 claim (ironically as it was my company car, but not me driving still goes against me).Anyhow it was 380 then, and I've got it down every year since, to about 220 now with 5 years NCB (and that's protected too). Paid about 70 when swapping to the new Civic, as that had compulsary excess of 250 (old one was nothing) so I took my 250 voluntary excess off to keep it the same.

Still, well under 300 a year.

Wife pays 190 for a new Jazz... insurance is cheap as chips!
iMZee likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th May 2019, 17:44

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalrystu View Post
When i got my first Civic (2.2 Diesel), I was mid 30's, no ncb as coming from Company Car, and 1 claim (ironically as it was my company car, but not me driving still goes against me).Anyhow it was 380 then, and I've got it down every year since, to about 220 now with 5 years NCB (and that's protected too). Paid about 70 when swapping to the new Civic, as that had compulsary excess of 250 (old one was nothing) so I took my 250 voluntary excess off to keep it the same.

Still, well under 300 a year.

Wife pays 190 for a new Jazz... insurance is cheap as chips!
Totally get what you're saying. However, you're in your mid 30s. Can't compare the price you get at that age to someone who's 25-26 year old.

My best quote in the end was about 500 full comp (3Y NCB) and 8k miles per year with my partner included as an additional driver. Took it down to about 1/3 since my renewal quoute was a ridiculous amount of 1300+ 😂😂😂

It pays off to shop around and use all the comparison website at your disposal. Cheers!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 21st May 2019, 13:53
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfayaJammer View Post
Totally get what you're saying. However, you're in your mid 30s. Can't compare the price you get at that age to someone who's 25-26 year old.
I'm surprised a 25 year old, is higher risk than a 35 year old.. but if you're paying 4x the price, you must be 4x as likely to claim!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 8th June 2019, 19:42
I Hate tailgaters!

Eco display Eco display
Garage

Just cruising along. 60 with some higher at overtaking.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th June 2019, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalrystu View Post
Hi,
The 1.6 is MUCH more efficient that the 2.2, and is designed from the beginning to have a DPF. It's located very close to the engine, so gets hotter, quicker.

Mine is brilliant, Zero tax. If you really care about risk, get a DEALER one. You'll maybe pay 1k more, but you get 1 year UNLIMITED mileage warranty that is just like the day it was new... so everything is covered, no quibble.

In terms of insurance, my first car (after having a company car) was a 2.2 Civic. No NCB of my own, and in 30's... I paid 350 Fully Comp. I now pay 205 fully comp with 5 years NCB.
Would you mind saying which insurance company please

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page