2Likes
  • 1 Post By poor1
  • 1 Post By cavalrystu

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2019, 12:32 Thread Starter
Supporter

Towbar install

Hi,
I can get a Detachable Swan Neck with dedicated wiring kit for about 320... but fitting will add another chunk on top, which isn't cheap.

Quality installers charge over 600 all in.....

So, option might be to install my own, I've done one before, but not on a 9g Civic.

Does any have a link to an install, or pictures of bumper removal (without breaking the clips).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2019, 18:56

Car: 2012 2.2 Milano Red
I had a Westfalia Detachable Towbar complete with electrics fitted by PF Jones Ltd, Old Trafford, Manchester M169JA in 2016 at a cost of 392.00.

They made an excellent job of it and the towbar is of very high quality.

I did the research and Westfalia was by far the best one on the market.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/store-locator.html
cavalrystu likes this.

Last edited by poor1; 23rd May 2019 at 19:40.
Thanks to poor1 from:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th May 2019, 12:43 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I'm happy for a long travel, to get it done right, I'll message them and see what they say.

I see on their website, the bar is 262.80.. if they only want 130 to install, and sort all the wiring, I'd say that's an excellent deal. Their website says, from 200, so by the time you add the electrics, it's 500.. but I'll call them and see what they can do

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th May 2019, 12:58
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,135 Times in 3,831 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
In the past I've used Welcome to CDF Towbars - Mobile Towbar Fitting who were competitively priced and did a good job. Looking back it's been a few years since we used them tho, so YMMV today.

We weren't within their mobile catchment area so we used to pop up and get the install done at their digs. However I see that they may cover your location via their mobile service, which would be more convenient.

I've fitted numerous tow bars and typically the mechanical bits aren't tricky to install but the electrics can get tricky depending on the vehicle, some are plug/play. Internal trim and bumper removal can be a pain. The mechanical and electronic bits usually come with comprehensive fittings instructions, so can be DIY'd. However if the price is reasonable then having someone else do the work is worth considering.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th May 2019, 14:43 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I've messaged them for a quote, I'll email PFJONES too, their website isn't as simple.

Seems the bar is going to be around 250, a dedicated wiring kit around 100 - 120, then fitting, which is it comes with warranty might be worth it. Hopefully they've more experience of removing the arch trim without breaking the clips!.

Best part of 360 - 380+ fitting is always going to be around the 500 mark.... but I'll see what they come back with
Farqui likes this.
Thanks to cavalrystu from:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2019, 14:57

FYI: the big alloy Honda cross member comes out and is replaced with a part which is an integral part of the towbar so it's quite a big job. I kept the alloy cross member in case I ever want to remove it. When I asked the mechanic how straightforward the job was he said that 'as usual with Honda' the electrics are complicated and time consuming. If you do travel up to Manchester have it done its near a main bus route into town or walkable. Manchester is a very interesting place to spend the day for a visitor, with an excellent art gallery and plenty of good places to eat. If you feel you want to go further afield jump on a tram and visit Bury's famous market and try it's black pudding.

I might add they did a very neat job of cutting the necessary piece out of the bottom of the bumper. Without the swan neck being fitted, looking from the rear you cannot tell they has been a piece cut out.

In case my recommendation sounds over the top, I can assure you that I have no commercial interest in either the manufacturer or the fitting company.

Last edited by poor1; 2nd June 2019 at 18:52.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th June 2019, 13:51 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Recommendation welcome, thanks. The crash beam at the rear is standard, I've fitted myself on other cars, but this is under warrently, and the wheel arch trim removal worries me the most. Not sure how easy that is to get out of the rear bumper without breaking stuff.

I guess, I might email them about the dedicated wiring kit too. If it's plug and play, no real reason not to do it myself (other than effort)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th June 2019, 16:50

I do most things myself. In this case I thought the fitting was so reasonably priced considering the amount of involved work that I thought it was well worth while. It was very neatly done and I was most impressed with their professionalism too.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page