MPG amazing - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 14:41 Thread Starter

So got a 63 plate 1.6 DTEC Civic, 40k miles. I do huge mileage so have done 2500 miles since owning it just shy of a month and have to say the economy is insane.

I have tested how it scales with speed and am blown away.

At 55-60 mph indicated I can get 82-85mpg
At 60-65 mph indicated I can get 78-82mpg
At 65-70 mph indicated it starts to get to the 74-77mpg range.

I tend to stick to 62-65mph as its best for efficiency and not being a slow annoying prick lol.

These are all 700 mile runs - not just doing the speed for a little bit and seeing the reading. I reset the trip and got readings for 700 mile averages, which I think is certainly representative. The average fuel after 400 or so miles changes by 0.2 mpg max on a 50 mile journey, so is centering into the true average halfway into that 700 mile dataset.

The real figures aren't too bad either - they're only 5% out at most, and as the fuel pump stop mechanism isn't exactly identical each time, it could argued the error window is there as well.

Drive back today managed to see a new range of 904 miles on a full tank. I realistically get about 835-850 depending on driving style.

I guess it depends on the journey but I have a dozen or so mild inclines and have to say the "sweet spot" is about 62mph in 6th gear - it climbs the hill without draining the mpg bar much - always sits at 70-75mpg, and some are quite steep.

Touch wood the car has run amazingly well and I have literally halved my monthly fuel costs.

Usually I am dubious about mpg figures companies state but Honda seems to have lived up to their 78-80mpg claims. It isn't far off doing 75mph odd.

Bravo Honda! My wife has had one since 2012 odd so knew it is a good company for cars but they have surpassed my already high expectation.

Last edited by TwistedHelix; 24th May 2019 at 14:43.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 14:54
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
over any distance think best ive had showing is 72mpg regardless of speed
I can get higher figures ove a mile or 2 but anything over say 5 to 10 miles as said normally best is mid to high 60's but at speed will be low 60's or even in the 50's
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 19:30
Supporter

Car: 2014 1.6 iDTEC EX, Silver
I've done nearly 10k in mine since I got it - it gets very tedious trying to break past 68mpg over a full tank unless your doing most of it on a motorway or dual carriageway with limited hills. On the last tank and with the better weather I decided to drive it as carefully as possible over a full tank - I managed to maintain 72-75mpg on the computer for nearly 500 miles. In the end I managed 620 miles and 70mpg - couldn't resist using the air con which seems to push it down a fair bit even in eco mode.

I think for the roads I drive on during a normal week I do a 50 mile commute 5 days a week and 100 miles at the weekend with some motorways and dual carriageways - the norm is anything in the range of 62-68 without really being to conscious of speed and the mpg reading all the time. I'm yet to do a long run of anything over 60 miles but will try again once I've fully serviced it and got rid of the penny pinching tyres the last owner put on it - they are the worst on fuel efficiency. Loving the extra mpg on this but still miss the power of the 2.2 I had before.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 19:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

My driving is 90% dual carriageway/motorway roundabout free so spent a good 45-50 minutes 6th gear cruise control.

Getting above 75mpg isn't too tedious but again I benefit from long journeys to tot that number up.

Plenty of hills though nothing extreme. I don't know the gradients of them but a few of them are fairly steep.

I doubt fuel type matters much - using Esso standard fuel.

Maybe I am just lighter on the gas lol. I like to use cruise control in most situations and it seems to use less fuel on the 0-100 meter.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 20:15
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic_1 View Post
I've done nearly 10k in mine since I got it - it gets very tedious trying to break past 68mpg over a full tank unless your doing most of it on a motorway or dual carriageway with limited hills. On the last tank and with the better weather I decided to drive it as carefully as possible over a full tank - I managed to maintain 72-75mpg on the computer for nearly 500 miles. In the end I managed 620 miles and 70mpg - couldn't resist using the air con which seems to push it down a fair bit even in eco mode.

I think for the roads I drive on during a normal week I do a 50 mile commute 5 days a week and 100 miles at the weekend with some motorways and dual carriageways - the norm is anything in the range of 62-68 without really being to conscious of speed and the mpg reading all the time. I'm yet to do a long run of anything over 60 miles but will try again once I've fully serviced it and got rid of the penny pinching tyres the last owner put on it - they are the worst on fuel efficiency. Loving the extra mpg on this but still miss the power of the 2.2 I had before.
im same as you the difference between the 2.2 and the 1.6 is too much in my opinion
on motorway at speed my 2.2 was at times better on fuel
15000 mile average on 2.2 was 55mpg but id did manage 60 mpg on airport run once from cumbria to Manchester at 80 to 90 mph
while 1.6 is better semi local its no better or worse on high speed runs
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 25th May 2019, 20:14
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 ES
The 1.6 in a tourer did manage 100mpg in a competition remember! (That car is at the Gaydon museum by the way).

Having just got in a 2.2, I’m well chuffed with the 60mpg indicated, and rising, that I’m seeing. I’m expecting a 10-12% overread based on my 1.8 experience, but that’s not bad for a 9 year old car. Especially given all that oomph. 🙂

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page