23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 31st May 2019, 08:34 Thread Starter

Car: 2013 Civic 2.2 i-Dtec
Garage
9th Gen Upgrades

Hi everyone,

Seems like there's a lot less upgrades for the 9th Gen over the 8th Gen

I'm currently looking for a sports mesh that would replace the stock 2013 bladed grill. Getting my wheels done and arches done but aside from that can't find much. Anyone recommend a decent replacement for OEM shocks? I don't want lowering just better ride and feel if possible.

Thinking of a K/N panel filter anyone got one?

Getting remapped this month to stage 1 been searching online for peoples experiences. Using Celtic which seem to have a really good reputation just worried the increased torque will cause clutch to slip anyone know if the clutch in the 9th Gen is better than the dreaded 8th Gen clutch. My 2010 Si had no clutch issues at all was really an amazing car.

Cars approaching 70k so looking to clear the EGR valve and get the Clutch and gearbox fluid done asap.

I love the car just needs a few little subtle changes.

Last edited by He_Who_Is_T; 31st May 2019 at 08:36.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 31st May 2019, 13:04

Car: 2012 1.4 i-vtec 5door
Sport grill 9G

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G930F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
He_Who_Is_T likes this.
Thanks to I-VTEC 2012 from:
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 31st May 2019, 13:30

Garage
Same boat as you, just bought a 9G but can't find many examples of other 9G owners who have changed their car from stock - unless they're in a Type R.

I've always enjoyed tinkering and making cars more personalised, but unlike the 8G there seems to be very few people who have done anything to their 9G! I would admit though that the 9G doesn't have the same distinct styling of the 8G!
He_Who_Is_T likes this.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 31st May 2019, 15:16
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Have a look at Rob.e's tourer thread, as well as my own threads.

I'd recommend:
K&N - Sounds better, a little more throttle response if you believe
Acuity shifter bushings - Much improved gear change feel.
Eibach lowering springs - Have a look at my full review; Sounds like exactly what you're looking for in shocks but only ~100

Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done for the pre facelift visually.
My9thGen, rob.e and He_Who_Is_T like this.
Thanks to Haltamer from:
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 31st May 2019, 17:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
With the eibachs do you have to have the car lowered?
?
do you have a link for the shifter bushings on a 9th Gen 2.2

Last edited by He_Who_Is_T; 31st May 2019 at 17:39.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 1st June 2019, 00:34
Supporter

Garage
https://www.dream-automotive.com/col...ng-upgrade-kit

These are the bushings that fit in the engine bay; They're quite an easy fit (one of the first bits of spannering I attempted) - Just remove the airbox to gain access to the transmission, and change them over - You can use the Acuity instructional guides for detailed fitment.

They also have base bushings, https://www.dream-automotive.com/col...-civic-9th-gen
I've yet to try these in mine (They're on order as I had 10G ones that didn't fit.) - they do take a lot of trim removal though.

The Eibach lowering springs - As the name implies - do lower the car by ~20 - 30mm (To memory) - https://www.civinfo.com/forum/wheels...-pictures.html - Full writeup there; Make sure you get the ones for the 2.2 diesel btw.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 1st June 2019, 00:37
Supporter

Garage
https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/p...x?prod=33-3012 That's the K&N for your car based on their filter.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2019, 14:27 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Do you think this is worth getting then?
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2019, 20:35 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltamer View Post
https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/p...x?prod=33-3012 That's the K&N for your car based on their filter.
Ordered one of these yesterday. Arriving Wednesday. Figured for the price if it works as stated it'll pay for itself after a few services with not having to buy OEM filters which aren't cheap(25 on cox without delivery).

I've moved the date of the remap to the 27th June as I'm rebuilding the bathroom and it's not really the best time to pay 325 and the hassle if anything goes wrong.

Machine polish to freshen up paint and remove some of the imperfections is due while the wheels are at the refurb place on the 13th.

Over weekend tried some britemax trim dye and it worked ok looks lots better but still not good enough for my liking so I'm looking into having them sprayed professionally in black. The colour coded ones on cox are so expensive for what you are getting. As a sidenote the trim dye worked great on the plastics at the front of the windscreen and was really easy to do. Was harder on the arches as had to tape the paintwork.

I'm tempted by the gearbox bushes but 70 seems a lot for a part that seems to be working fine.

Would like some door inserts but can't find any good quality ones that I like enough to bother with.

Ordered some heko wind deflectors to install as I'd like to be able to open the windows more with the weather improving
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2019, 21:02
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by He_Who_Is_T View Post
I'm tempted by the gearbox bushes but 70 seems a lot for a part that seems to be working fine.

Ordered some heko wind deflectors to install as I'd like to be able to open the windows more with the weather improving
Good to hear you're getting underway. How did the plastic go on the rear door handles? My rear door handles look rather grim, despite trying all manner of plastic products.

I'd certainly look at the acuity bushings - There's a big change in how the gear shift feels, and it is quick and easy to do.

Let us know how you get on with the wind deflectors, too - I've been contemplating some, but I'm wondering how they would affect visibility, and their impact on wind noise, especially at high speeds (80+)
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 4th June 2019, 08:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Good to hear you're getting underway. How did the plastic go on the rear door handles? My rear door handles look rather grim, despite trying all manner of plastic products.

I'd certainly look at the acuity bushings - There's a big change in how the gear shift feels, and it is quick and easy to do.

Let us know how you get on with the wind deflectors, too - I've been contemplating some, but I'm wondering how they would affect visibility, and their impact on wind noise, especially at high speeds (80+)[/QUOTE]

My door handles are colour coded so I've used it there. A friend in detailing said with the dye to apply it once then give it another good clean (britemax grime out) then apply again and I'll notice a better colour. I'll do it later in the week when I'm off.

Have you thought about getting the handles wrapped?

I think I'll change to the acuity bushings next month after I've booked in to get my clutch and gearbox fluids redone.

I'll collect the filter Wednesday and install immediately hopefully no issues. Even if it makes little difference the fact it's cleanable will make it cost efficient after a few services.

I've got quite a severe skirt dent since purchase. Currently wondering what to do with it. Looks like at the top it's starting to rust so I'm going to get prices for it to be filled and repainted.

Few scuffs and diesel stains (think the anti siphon thing leaks which is a pain)

Wheels are in for refurb next week just currently deciding what colour and finish I'll go for. I've done the previously grey trims black and I'm thinking black trims and black wheels will look good on the existing colour.

I've fixed the broken folding mirror so the list is getting shorter at least.

I'm hoping since they are hekos they'll fit nicely and securely and not impact visibility but just lessen the wind noise with the windows down. Don't think I'd be concerned at speeds over 50 as the air con would be on at that point.

I've changed all interior bulbs to LEDs and the rear number plate and glove box. Might do the side lights if I get time.

Brand new Honda OEM mats were installed straight away

Need to find some tires before next week however any suggestions
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 4th June 2019, 11:29

Garage
All my trim has faded across the car. What are you using to bring it back to life? I was gonna grab some Simoniz Back To Black for a cheap fix, but would be keen to hear what would be better!

(Hope I haven't derailed your thread!)
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 4th June 2019, 12:19 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Not at all mate. I used britemax trim max. It's a long term fix. I'll post some pictures tonight of the difference before and after one application. My friend the detailer did say it will take more then one application if it's really oxidized. The hardest part was cleaning them of bits of brake dust. He said clean them again. I used a new paint brush and britemax grime out which is amazing stuff. Dry them well with a microfiber rotate. Apply once leave for 5 mins come back wipe all excess away until dry and apply again and leave for 4 hours.

I find most of the back to black car places use when cleaning lasts a few days at most. This stuff is apparently good for anything that is black plastic. I've done the windscreen plastic scoop looks much better than the trims so far
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 4th June 2019, 13:21

Garage
Got any before and afters? I love a good polish up!

post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 4th June 2019, 21:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Here's a link to a recent pic of the car (it had been waxed few days before and it had darkened the trims slightly but they're usually almost white/grey

https://m.imgur.com/a/d3mUDuu
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 4th June 2019, 21:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Oh one of the pics is my cabin filter which I changed finally
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 4th June 2019, 22:29
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Is that wheel really as bad as it looks in the pic?
Haltamer likes this.
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 5th June 2019, 04:45
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
My wheel arch trims are still looking as new. I suspect you're using a wax/polish that is affecting them ?

These waxes that dry to a white powdery finish are a nightmare on some finishes and I've avoided for many years. These detailing sprays that can be applied anywhere are the way to go IMO.
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 5th June 2019, 08:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
Is that wheel really as bad as it looks in the pic?
Yeah the alloys are in terrible condition from purchase. I've been trying for months to find out what they actually are before either refurbishing them or buying others. Guy who sold the car said they were 17" which I knew was an option on these cars but when got home realised they're 18" got him to knock a considerable amount of money off the car just for the condition. That pics the worst wheel of the four but I can't handle them any longer. I'm booked in next week for full refurb. If I find wheels I like I'll just sell these as they should look good once done.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 5th June 2019, 09:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
My wheel arch trims are still looking as new. I suspect you're using a wax/polish that is affecting them ?
I've only had the car since Christmas time. The overall condition of the wheel arches was noticed at purchase. My friend said exactly the same thing that when car has been polished they're done the arch trims as well and it has affected the plastic said there was quite a bit of sun damage to them also.

Since purchase I've not really had time to do much other than minor changes. I wanted to test the britemax trim max before seeking other options such as the colour coded trims or even third party spraying.

I've essentially been keeping the car clean and just using fairly basic wax on the paintwork until it's in for paint correction and a dent removed.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page