New member! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th February 2012, 16:15 Thread Starter

Car: 2006 Suzuki Swift 1.3 AMT
New member!

Hello all.

My current car is a car for a disabled driver (CFDD (me (spastic))) and it will soon be too small as we need a family car.

I'm very keen to get one of the most reliable cars available, and since I've heard good things about Hondas and their reliability, I thought I would check out the Civic. Due to my CP, I need an auto box.

My maximum price will be that of the Civic although I would love an Accord. The trade, however, is not happening until 2013 at the earliest and more likely in 2014.

I was then very sad to read that the civic has had loads of problems. I like the space available (boot, magic seats etc). However, if it's faulty I'll turn to another make.
My municipality will support me financially if the car is granted as a CFDD which is a big help. Nevertheless, in return I'm "stuck" with the car for six years before I'm allowed to change it again. Hence, reliability is of utmost importance as I won't be able to buy another "just" because the one I have/will get keeps breaking down.

Now to be fair, by 13/14 the 9th. gen. (2012 onwards) will have been on the road for some time revealing it's reliability or lack thereof, so I suppose we will have an indication buy then.

Looking into faults statistics I am confused: I like reading Autobilds "Dauer Test" (Long term test with the cars covering 100,000 kilometers before they are evaluated. In this test, the Civic (2006 model) did fairly well with a total of only two minus points. However, a Danish MOT statistic from 2012 revealed the 30 or 33(!) percent of the civic inspected had faults when only four years old.
Then again, an English fleet company put Civic as one of the most reliable models. So I really don't know what to think anymore.

I can just take into account the faults/disappointments people are wrinting about here and the fact that the "Dauer tested" Toyota Avensis (built in UK) did bad. It seems to me that Japanese cars, when built in Europe/UK to a wast extent looses their reliability.

Below is a list of vehicles I have /am still considering. I.e. They are "competing" with the Civic, if you will, to take up the empty spot in my future carport/ garage.

Honda Civic (2012 and onwards):

Positives:

Boot space
magic seats
more reliable auto box compared to VWs DSG(7) which has given VAG a LOT of problems
Japanese car (wife is Japanese)
No turbo but N/A: more reliable
Quite a generous amount of kit on the 1.8 Sport model in Denmark (Is that model the one called Type S in UK?)

Negatives:

Reliability not good?
No turbo engine (lacks torque?)
Very soft paint
1.8 I-Vtec may be a dated engine in 13/14

Skoda Octavia:

Positives:

Massives of space
Available as Combi (Skoda's name for "Wagon") within my budget.
1.4 TSI engine (good torque, good MPGs)
4 year warranty
As a family car, you get VERY much car for your hard earned cash.

Negative:

DSG(7) VERY unreliable and VERY expensive to fix.

Opel/Vauxhall Astra 1.4T

Positives:

Design
Comfortable and supportive seats (i have bag problems quite often)
(Based on my mates 1.2 Corsa): likely to have very low road noise)
Six Speed converter automatic: more reliable than Dual Clutch DSG types.
Classy cabin (based on reviews)
Available as Sports Tourer

Negatives:

1.4T SLIGHTLY more thirsty than 1.8 I-VTEC.
1.4T is a new engine, hence, we don't know about it's reliability.
Less bootspace than the Civic 370 vs 410 litres
In general, Opel is subpar to Honda in reliability statistics

About me:

I'm not a "racer head" at all. I, basically, don't care about the 0-62 times that much. I think "duels" at intersections are stupid: waste of tires and fuel. Since I cannot go anywhere without my car, it needs to be VERY, VERY reliable.
I doubt I will drive much more than 9,000 miles annually, So I guess I'm better of with petrol.

Now, this being a Honda forum, I take it there will be biased posts, however, I would appreciate if you would try to be honest

Oh, and I don't like French cars, they break down/ have fault to often.

Yours,

Nicolai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th February 2012, 16:20
Supporter

Thanked 1,035 Times in 1,016 Posts
Hi and welcome.

To be honest ive had loads of hondas and ive never had any mojor problems with them am now on my 4th Ctr.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th February 2012, 16:27
Supporter

Hello and welcome

When you read forums you tend to hear all the complaints only and you tend not to hear from the many many more satisfied and happy owners.

My beauty is coming up to 5 years old and has been along with my Jazz the most reliable car I have had and certainly most fun to own.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th February 2012, 16:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Jazzman: any paint problems? Normally I don't like red cars but I might order the Civic in MR I've heard it's the worst paint, though
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th February 2012, 16:37
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,260 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Syx
All reports would indicate it's the thinnest paint, unfortunately.

However, everyone knows red is the quickest colour
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th February 2012, 16:37
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolaidenmark View Post
Jazzman: any paint problems? Normally I don't like red cars but I might order the Civic in MR I've heard it's the worst paint, though
No paint problems at all. Obviously after 35000 miles there are a few chips on the bonnet certainly no worse than any other car.

I hand wash it once a week (no car washes) and it gets a polish every couple of months, but once washed the car gleams with just a leather down. Great car and great fun and so practical in terms of passenger space and carrying capacity.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th February 2012, 16:52
Batmobiles Rule ✌

Car: FK8
Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,351 Posts
Hi Nicolai & welcome to the forum.

As said above forums are where peole vent their frustrations when things go wrong. There are many many people out there who have had nothing go wrong with their car (self included). Don't let posts where peole have had problems put you off. Good luck in your quest to get a new car (you have plenty of time to get your choice right).
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th February 2012, 17:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi all.

Thanks for the welcoming!

Would it be possible for me (6 feet 1") to drive and my father (6 feet 3 or 4") to sit behind me (somewhat comfortable)?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th February 2012, 17:02
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolaidenmark View Post
Hello all.

Below is a list of vehicles I have /am still considering. I.e. They are "competing" with the Civic, if you will, to take up the empty spot in my future carport/ garage.

Honda Civic (2012 and onwards):

Positives:

Boot space - Biggest in Class
magic seats - Unique
more reliable auto box compared to VWs DSG(7) which has given VAG a LOT of problems - some people love the DSG but it is expensive and can be probelmatic at times
Japanese car (wife is Japanese) - enough said
No turbo but N/A: more reliable - exactly
Quite a generous amount of kit on the 1.8 Sport model in Denmark (Is that model the one called Type S in UK?) - no 3dr version available in the 2012 Civic

Negatives:

Reliability not good? - Not at All, Honda are one of the MOST reliable manufacturers on the market
No turbo engine (lacks torque?) - 140ps and once run in, more than acceptable in my opinion.
Very soft paint - questionable-various problems noted on the 8th gen 2006 + car but now with the 2012 model, the design has changed and may be less susceptible (SP) to chipping ect, not enough of them on the road yet to have made an impact.
1.8 I-Vtec may be a dated engine in 13/14 - revised for the 2012 model.

Now, this being a Honda forum, I take it there will be biased posts, however, I would appreciate if you would try to be honest

Oh, and I don't like French cars, they break down/ have fault to often.

Yours,

Nicolai
Nicolai,

I sell Hondas to what we call in the UK the Motability scheme which is for drivers with disabilities, be they physical or not. The Civic is widely accepted on the Motability scheme and if it were not acceptable nor the right car, motability wouldnt accept it on their scheme. As I see it, you will have no problems with the 2012 Civic, especially when compared to the other cars you have been looking at.

regards

Dan
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th February 2012, 20:00 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I need a five door I'm a bit worried because a lot of peoaple claim the 1.8 i weak as it doesn't have much low down torque. I hate when I have to rev a car hard to make progress in trafic.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th February 2012, 20:12
Supporter

Car: 2010 Honda Civic Type-R Euro
welcome to the club!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 11:33

Car: BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer 218
Nicolai, your father (at 6' 3'') will struggle for headroom in the back of the new Civic (probably a few of the others as well apart from maybe the Skoda); however there is nothing like trying it out to see for yourself.

Regards,
Chris
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 11:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks, Chris. That's what I thought. Still, it'll only be in the weekends that the whole family will be "packed into" the Civic. Mostly it'll be me wife and future child/pram etc.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 16:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Can anyone tell me about the 1.8? All the test, I've read have said that this engine lacks torque. How come Honda places the torque so high up compared to other models?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 16:53
Supporter

Car: 2011 cts gt alabaster
Hi nicolai,this is my first Honda,and it is by far the best Car I have owned.i have the 1.8 model,it performs well around town without the need to rev it,tho sometimes in the higher gears you could do with a bit more torque.overall I find it an excellent all round vehicle,and average around 34 mpg,good luck in your search

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page