Very Disappointed - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 19:16 Thread Starter

Car: 2009 Type S 1.8, Milano Red
Unhappy Very Disappointed

Just nipped in to my local dealer today to see the New Civic for the fist time. Initially i was looking forward to see what improvements they made to the car. But i was wrong.

Now i'm not usually a person to slag a car off but i was VERY disappointed with the new civic. The front end looks great, albeit a bit plasticy. I was disappointed to see the diamond handles gone and the rather bland side panels.

Secondly the back end just looks empty if not boring, where are the triangular exhausts?? wheres the grille to match the front end?? and i have to say there is an uncanny resemblance to a toyota prius with the light cluster and spoiler. :/

Finally, the interior. i would say it is more of a downgrade than an upgrade. The dashboard doesn't jump out at you any more and the whole "space age" feel has gone. There is no excitement anymore and everything seems a bit too "ordinary". Where is the "engine start" button, i know it is an optional extra but it seems they've replaced it with an "eco" button :S

it seems this car has been aimed at the 'older' market. Sorry if you love the car, but its just my opinion, and a think honda have really let themselves down . look forward to hearing your comments on my thoughts - agree or disagree.

Thanks
Thank You to mr30 from 2 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 19:22
Supporter

Car: 2007 CTR GT NHB
+1. I like the front but that is where it ends, rear lights are horrendous. I hate to say it but if you want looks/power ford is the future

For me I'm sticking to the fn2 for a good few years yet
post #3 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 19:26
Wife & Civics to support

Car: 2007 2.2 CTDI + 2011 CTR LSD
I'm sorry to have to say... I agree with you whole heartedly. Honda has missed an excellent opportunity to improve on the 8th gen civic by just ironing out a few problems and building on its great features and character. But instead all the things that made the civic stand out and give it that wow factor have gone...

post #4 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 19:34
Supporter

Car: 59/FN4 Civic Type S
saw one in the flesh so to speak last week, its a mess god knows what they were thinking when they designed it... too much sake most probs
post #5 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 19:44

Car: 2010 1.4 type S, Silver
Had a look over one today. I quite agree a big disappointment. Visibility from the rear window is abysmal. The only improvement as far as I can see is the rear wiper.

If its aimed at the older market I must be either young or ancient, definitely not for me.
post #6 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 19:59

Car: 2006 2.2 Civic Sport
I saw a handful of them at Millbrook being trialled back in December. I thought they didn't quite look "right" and would agree cosmetic wise, it's a step backwards. They might be good cars but styling and interior I'd say has gone backwards. Possibly Honda have taken it in this direction after the 8th gen being received as a little too out there when it was first released?
post #7 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 20:07
Race Taxi Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr30 View Post
Just nipped in to my local dealer today to see the New Civic for the fist time. Initially i was looking forward to see what improvements they made to the car. But i was wrong.

Now i'm not usually a person to slag a car off but i was VERY disappointed with the new civic. The front end looks great, albeit a bit plasticy. I was disappointed to see the diamond handles gone and the rather bland side panels.

Secondly the back end just looks empty if not boring, where are the triangular exhausts?? wheres the grille to match the front end?? and i have to say there is an uncanny resemblance to a toyota prius with the light cluster and spoiler. :/

Finally, the interior. i would say it is more of a downgrade than an upgrade. The dashboard doesn't jump out at you any more and the whole "space age" feel has gone. There is no excitement anymore and everything seems a bit too "ordinary". Where is the "engine start" button, i know it is an optional extra but it seems they've replaced it with an "eco" button :S

it seems this car has been aimed at the 'older' market. Sorry if you love the car, but its just my opinion, and a think honda have really let themselves down . look forward to hearing your comments on my thoughts - agree or disagree.

Thanks
+1

Honda's gone backwards, just like Ford did with the Mk2 Focus, aesthetics-wise.
post #8 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 20:28
Supporter

Car: GT
Agreed, not impressed. I decided not to wait for the 9g and brought an 8g and i'm very pleased, glad i did not wait!
post #9 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 20:36
Definately Female!

Car: 1.8 ES Civic 2012, white
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkES View Post
I'm sorry to have to say... I agree with you whole heartedly. Honda has missed an excellent opportunity to improve on the 8th gen civic by just ironing out a few problems and building on its great features and character. But instead all the things that made the civic stand out and give it that wow factor have gone...

I have just looked at lots of photos of the new civic and I disagree I think they have ironed out the problems by getting rid of them. All the things that have gone are the things that had appeared again an again in the faults section.

I quite like the look of the new one and hopefully now it will be more user friendly as opposed to looking good but being a let down.

Just my opinion
post #10 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 21:09
Dervinator

Car: 2007 iCDTI 2.2, Milano red
Agree with the OP

Re: the 9g

Horrible Steering wheel
Horrible door handles
Horrible "shopping trolley" rear light cluster

No Triangles

No Start button (don't give a dead rats arse about a silly "Eco" button, my right foot is the best economy button)

All this = double face palm epic phail

Actually it's probably worthy of a triple face palm

post #11 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 21:29
Supporter

The 8th generation was an extreme leap forward for Honda with regard to body design and I'm not surprised the new one doesn't hit the mark with so many folk.
I just don't like it.
post #12 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 21:42
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,260 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Syx
Interesting - I'm going to make a thread a little later but took one for a test drive and after initially hating it I really liked it.
post #13 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 22:40

Car: 2018 Civic 1.5T
As an older owner, I am very happy with my new Civic. I would recommend that potential owners should take a test drive, although I did'nt. The interior quality is a big improvement and I like the "pensioner" steering wheel. I think the Civic has matured and improved in all the important (for me) areas such as the suspension. It certainly is a much more refined car now and should'nt be judged by looks alone.
post #14 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 23:15
Dervinator

Car: 2007 iCDTI 2.2, Milano red
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerm1946 View Post
As an older owner, I am very happy with my new Civic. I would recommend that potential owners should take a test drive, although I did'nt. The interior quality is a big improvement and I like the "pensioner" steering wheel. I think the Civic has matured and improved in all the important (for me) areas such as the suspension. It certainly is a much more refined car now and should'nt be judged by looks alone.

Ok.. So the "looks" aren't important ?

You'll be trading in then for one of these.... pronto

Perhaps a 2CV ? I hear they have both excellent ride & fuel economy.

Last edited by Civic_Outcast; 11th February 2012 at 23:31.
post #15 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 23:23
Supporter

Eco display
Agree with OP.

Its like the took all the great and unique things about the civic and got rid of them and gave us a rear wiper. I never missed the rear wiper I don't know why people moaned about it so much.
post #16 of 169 (permalink) Old 11th February 2012, 23:51

Car: 2018 Civic 1.5T
I am sure the Multipla has it's devotees, but it's not my cup of tea - although look at the great visibility. I too, liked the 8th gen for all the things which made it unique and owned one for 3 years. It had it's faults which I think have now been attended to in the 9G and the rear wiper is great when reversing.
post #17 of 169 (permalink) Old 12th February 2012, 00:37

Car: BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer 218
I think that if you are particularly keen on the 8th gen then the 9th will be a disappointment - it is simply not the ground breaker that the 8th gen was; however... for all its looks (and they are very good) the 8th gen just didn't cut it as a car that most people would want to drive (at least not and keep their fillings ).

The 9th gen is a different kettle of fish entirely - grown up in the handling department and hopefully in the fit and finish (time will tell) but the looks... colour matters a lot - the darker the better it seems. On the road it looks fine but there is no denying that it is pretty odd. Maybe too much Sake but (please excuse this - I can only get away with it here ) for the sake of being different maybe that is what they were aiming for?

Regards,
Chris
post #18 of 169 (permalink) Old 12th February 2012, 00:40
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE

Car: 56 plate 1.8 ES cosmic grey
seen the new car at the dealers last thursday and i'm still not impressed
given we spend most of the time behind the wheel, i do think it's not as good inside as our cars....
post #19 of 169 (permalink) Old 12th February 2012, 00:47
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 EX, NHB
I went saw one yesterday, and have to agree with majority. All the best bits missing, which made me buy the 8th gen, such as the twin triangle exhausts, start button, nice door handles etc..

I accepted there was no rear wiper and got use to it when I bought my car, knowing it wouldn't have one.

Whats the shark fin all about ???

Only thing I liked were the DRL's, interior seemed comfy and the steering wheel felt nice. Dash wasn't too bad, seemed like there was some improvement.

And the front end I suppose I can get use to, not too bad looking, just those big rear lights which were dreadful!!

I don't know drive wise, im sure there will be a big improvement over the 8th gen, but look wise not too appealing!!
post #20 of 169 (permalink) Old 12th February 2012, 04:36
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
The 9 is more 7 than 8. Some would say conservative, others maybe bland.

If how a car looks is very important to you, then the 9 will be a disappointment.

If how a car drives is important to you, then you will like it. Some might even like the styling.

(And in my experience, both the Multipla and the 2CV are excellent cars).
Thank You to Pottsy from 2 Users:

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page