EX-GT London and M25 Buyer's Test Drive - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2012, 18:56 Thread Starter

Car: 2017 SR CVT
EX-GT London and M25 Buyer's Test Drive

I spent some hours today driving a Civic EX-GT.

The car looked good although the dark grey colour was not a colour I would buy it in.

The ride was very similar to my 8G. On the M25 motorway it thumped along over bumps exactly the same as I am used to. The only difference was that the thumping of the tyres was not so loud as the 8G. The auto box was fantastic and gave a very smooth drive and always seemed to be in the right gear. In sport mode it changed down a gear and was not so smooth.

I liked the way you can now switch off the internal alarm when leaving the car locked with a person or animal inside it.

Approaching from the passenger side only the driver's door unlocks whereas approaching from the passenger side all doors unlock.

The satnav high res screen is much bigger and clearer and more colourful than the 8G. It was also bigger and brighter than the one in the ES-T.
I liked the way all the music on my USB stick immediately showed on the screen when plugged in. Having the ability to watch HDD Videos while parked was interesting although not something I would often use.

I found the secondary colour screen on the dash alongside the speedo rather limited. It only had one option for monitering petrol use. Not as good as what is inside the wheel of the 8G.

The ultra smooth steering wheel finish certainly is unusual. I didn't like it as much as my 8G but can live with it OK.

The front parking sensers were brilliant. When turning out of a tight entrance they gave a coloured warning as well as beeping according to how close I was.

The cover under the glass roof was set lower than the 8G which meant the roof was a good 2 or more inches lower when the cover was closed.

At the moment there is one showstopper to resolve before I can buy it. This was the narrow seating. It is drastically inferior to the 8G.
At first look the drivers seat is higher and wider than the passenger seat. In reality because the passenger seat has no height option it is squashed in next to the hand brake which is now on the passenger side. The result is great for the driver but very uncomfortable for the passenger. The passenger has no space to overflow the seat and after just a few minutes by wife (size 16) was in pain from the seatbelt and brake digging into her thigh. The only answer was to sit her on a cushion to get her above the offending seatbelt buckel and handbrake. The driver is immune to the problem as their seat is higher up and they have extra space where the handbrake used to be. We tried all the lumber adjustments of which there were three electronic settings but this just pushed her to the front of the seat and were even more uncomfortable. Despite all this electric adjustment there is not even a manual height adjuster - a major ommission.

I am currently looking at having a custom seat cushion made that will stay in postion, that my wife will not slip off (the leather gives no grip like the cloth does) and will raise her out of the pit. After driving the car, sitting on the passenger seat is like sitting on the floor!

If the seating problem can be fixed I will buy an EX with Premium Pack. I decided against the GT as it works out an extra 2k just for the roof and a few other bits I can do without.

Why do I want it? Because of the auto gear box, the HDD Satnav and the dual air con.
Thanks to electric from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2012, 07:37
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
I spent some hours today driving a Civic EX-GT.

The car looked good although the dark grey colour was not a colour I would buy it in.

The ride was very similar to my 8G. On the M25 motorway it thumped along over bumps exactly the same as I am used to. The only difference was that the thumping of the tyres was not so loud as the 8G. The auto box was fantastic and gave a very smooth drive and always seemed to be in the right gear. In sport mode it changed down a gear and was not so smooth.

I liked the way you can now switch off the internal alarm when leaving the car locked with a person or animal inside it.

Approaching from the passenger side only the driver's door unlocks whereas approaching from the passenger side all doors unlock.

The satnav high res screen is much bigger and clearer and more colourful than the 8G. It was also bigger and brighter than the one in the ES-T.
I liked the way all the music on my USB stick immediately showed on the screen when plugged in. Having the ability to watch HDD Videos while parked was interesting although not something I would often use.

I found the secondary colour screen on the dash alongside the speedo rather limited. It only had one option for monitering petrol use. Not as good as what is inside the wheel of the 8G.

The ultra smooth steering wheel finish certainly is unusual. I didn't like it as much as my 8G but can live with it OK.

The front parking sensers were brilliant. When turning out of a tight entrance they gave a coloured warning as well as beeping according to how close I was.

The cover under the glass roof was set lower than the 8G which meant the roof was a good 2 or more inches lower when the cover was closed.

At the moment there is one showstopper to resolve before I can buy it. This was the narrow seating. It is drastically inferior to the 8G.
At first look the drivers seat is higher and wider than the passenger seat. In reality because the passenger seat has no height option it is squashed in next to the hand brake which is now on the passenger side. The result is great for the driver but very uncomfortable for the passenger. The passenger has no space to overflow the seat and after just a few minutes by wife (size 16) was in pain from the seatbelt and brake digging into her thigh. The only answer was to sit her on a cushion to get her above the offending seatbelt buckel and handbrake. The driver is immune to the problem as their seat is higher up and they have extra space where the handbrake used to be. We tried all the lumber adjustments of which there were three electronic settings but this just pushed her to the front of the seat and were even more uncomfortable. Despite all this electric adjustment there is not even a manual height adjuster - a major ommission.

I am currently looking at having a custom seat cushion made that will stay in postion, that my wife will not slip off (the leather gives no grip like the cloth does) and will raise her out of the pit. After driving the car, sitting on the passenger seat is like sitting on the floor!

If the seating problem can be fixed I will buy an EX with Premium Pack. I decided against the GT as it works out an extra 2k just for the roof and a few other bits I can do without.

Why do I want it? Because of the auto gear box, the HDD Satnav and the dual air con.
I've missed that in the literature. I thought the SatNav (both SD and HDD variants) were an inch smaller than the current one ?

Also a reminder - sit in the passenger seat to check it out, something I bet isn't done very often ?

Last edited by Kremmen; 23rd February 2012 at 09:03.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2012, 08:46
Supporter

Car: 2009 CTR DBP
Got to be honest I think it's madness paying such a large sum for a car that has a serious usability problem for you - I love my 8G but I wouldn't buy anything that myself and the Mrs weren't perfectly comfortable sitting in for a long time, that's the one issue that will make the car completely unusable. Given the crazy list prices think how much you'll lose if you decide after a year that it has to go for something that fits the bill without any additions. I know you're looking into a fixed cushion, but really?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 25th February 2012, 18:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I have today resolved my seat problems.

The cloth seats are totally different seats to the leather seats. The cloth seats are almost the same as on the 8G except they have a nicer material. All the leather seats are actually sports seats with high hard sides and uneven joins at the back which dig into you. My wife tried a number of EX cars and all had the same very uncomfortable passenger seats. The soft fabric seats on the ES-T was extremely comfortable with the flatter sids and smoother finish.

Result: I will be buying a ES-T petrol automatic plus Elite+ pack. The price then is 21,375 + 1,295. Some 3,800 cheaper than the EX-GT auto with Premium Pack.

Only problem is a very long delivery wait.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th February 2012, 07:17
Administrator

I was considering the Elite+ pack until I saw on the Honda site that you can get the individual parts.

I will be omitting the door protectors as they seem to me to be in a position that is useless. They are right down the bottom and don't look as though they will protect anything.

4 Mudguards 120
Rear sensors 535 (i-mid integrated Honda ones)
Carpet Mats 75

(Metallic 490)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th February 2012, 22:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The front parking sensers are worth having. You get a colour changing graphic on the dash showing how close you are (as well as the beeps). Once tried have to have them!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 27th February 2012, 07:15
Administrator

Not for me though - I never drive nose-in anywhere, always reverse, easier to get out

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page