Alternatives to the Civic 9G - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th February 2012, 11:14 Thread Starter
djm

Alternatives to the Civic 9G

When I change cars, I want the same wow factor as the Civic 8G. Now that Honda has moved away from this approach, can anyone suggest an alternative car that has the styling and reliability for the same sort of price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th February 2012, 11:21
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
I actually think you will find it really difficult to find an alternative... Maybe the 9G does not do it for you in terms of styling, but it's basically the same car... If you go elsewhere, you will miss things like the boot space, handling and practicality.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th February 2012, 13:55
Down and Dirty

Car: 2009 2.2 Type-S 3 door
Give it a couple of facelifts and it might just become another wow... it's promising enough when you hear everyone say it handles even better than the 8G. AND it's got all the gadgets you'd seen on the Accord and think "why doesn't my Civic have that thing?!"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th February 2012, 15:51

I will skip the new Civic (i'ts just damn ugly and honestly I don't think the ride is much better) and wait for the new Seat Leon, as I know it's engine and ride is good and it also looks good.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th February 2012, 16:47
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuuk View Post
I will skip the new Civic (i'ts just damn ugly and honestly I don't think the ride is much better) and wait for the new Seat Leon, as I know it's engine and ride is good and it also looks good.
I agree with the engines and ride
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th February 2012, 17:02
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo51 View Post
I agree with the engines and ride

Not so sure on this, I have taken the below from another forum

Currently negotiating a deal on a Fabia vRS again. When I owned one 2 years ago, it was reliable, quick and excellent on fuel. My wife is looking to sell her car and wants to share mine. I'm not convinced my Auris is going to be cheap enough to use for her daily commute across town, so we want something more frugal, cheaper to own and tuneable. Experience tells me that the Fabia is a very good car for the money, and meets all of our needs.

The Fabia vRS are only petrol now aren`t they ?

Funny, my mate has a new one, really rates it 7 speed DSG fast with 40MPG, only the minor issue of 2 new engines in 20k, now putting a litre of oil every 1000 miles in engine 3, got compo for wrecking the block paving on the drive after engine 2. Not a unique case.

The old and soot and surge cars are better, only the emissions police taking the fun away stopped it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th February 2012, 18:04
Dervinator

Car: 2007 iCDTI 2.2, Milano red
I'll change to an Accord... If they still do them that is !!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th February 2012, 12:39 Thread Starter
djm
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
I actually think you will find it really difficult to find an alternative... Maybe the 9G does not do it for you in terms of styling, but it's basically the same car... If you go elsewhere, you will miss things like the boot space, handling and practicality.
Yeah that's the thing. The Civic is still a unique car - but they claimed to have listened to Civic owners in designing the new one. Evidently these owners have asked for less headroom in the rear, and a more mundane run of the mill dashboard.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th February 2012, 14:56
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
Give it a couple of facelifts and it might just become another wow...
We can only hope. I agree it has the makings of a good car with the improvements its just that somethings were a step in the wrong direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post
Yeah that's the thing. The Civic is still a unique car - but they claimed to have listened to Civic owners in designing the new one. Evidently these owners have asked for less headroom in the rear, and a more mundane run of the mill dashboard.
Where did they do these surveys - Age Concern?

Ironically, I was looking at some of the new car adverts on tv yesterday. Practically every car has gone over to a start button just when Honda has removed.

In fact even the Ford Fiesta has gone to keyless start (key proximity) with a start button for then engine.

Kind of ironic that a base model car, the equivalent of the Jazz, can be better featured than a mid range hatch.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th February 2012, 12:43

Well after five Hondas in a row, I am now the new owner of a 1.4 TSI Scirocco. I traded in my CRZ yesterday and so far I am very impressed with it. Looks great, loads of power when I need it, handles well. The new Civic just didn't do anything for me looks wise and there was nothing else that made me want it. A failed opportunity from Honda and they may lose more customers than they gain because of it. Hopefully they will get their act together again but until then I am staying with the Germans
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th February 2012, 12:51
pcr

I was told that the surveys were some 250 questions and done in Germany because the Germans are more likely to be objective and more happy to participate without wanting something in return.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th February 2012, 13:46

Car: 2010 FK2 GT
If Id want to change my car I would probably wait for the 9G Type R to come out. If it looks at least a bit like the BTCC Version, then the 9G is not totally out of Interest for me.
Right now the only Car Id (maybe) exchange my Civic for would be a Hyundai Veloster Turbo which is announced for the beginnning of next year.
Hyundai offers a impressing quality nowadays and pretty nice warranties,too.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page