Has the addition of a rear wiper changed your life? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 00:57 Thread Starter
Supporter

Has the addition of a rear wiper changed your life?

I have had the car a month now and love it but still have not used my rear wiper how about anyone else?? i think it looks a little ugly sitting there i didd'nt need it for five years on my previous civic, Did they add it just to keep the customers happy? because the area it would clear is pointless anyway.

Also how are the new owners finding the hill start assist, can it be turned off. because i pull across a busy main road every day, my little side road goes up at a slope to meet it. I stop and brake and wait for a clearance then foot up off the clutch and other foot to the accelerator but........... hill start assist is holding my brakes on for a few seconds. now when your trying to go for a gap on a busy main road 2-3 seconds are a lot to be held back.
how are others finding it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 01:19
1.5 Sport Plus CVT

Hi gerry

2-3 seconds?

Thats not a problem I am having..........I cant say i have noticed my brakes being held on much more than is necessary....seems pretty minimal.

Last edited by jamesaberdeen73; 11th April 2012 at 01:52.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 09:55
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Thta's a nightmare if its holding it that long.

I had a VW Tiguan with Hillstart assist on loan for a few weeks and that had a delay of maybe less than 1/2 a second between pressing the accelerator and the brake releasing. In fact it started moving before the brake fully released from memory if you put power down quickly. Bit of a knock and a jerk from fast power delivery from a standstill, but was liveable and preferable to a huge delay.

Although I didn't like the feature at 1st, I soon got used to it and apart from wear worries (had it been my car) I totally liked the feature in the end. The ability to stop at any road junction on any hill, no matter how steep and never run backwards is great.

The only thing you have to remember is to press the brake if you've engaged the clutch to edge forwards and not switch from holding the car on the clutch and accelerator to no pedals as then you just run away backwards. It does take direct brake application to make the system kick in. That probably sounds obvious but its easy to make the mistake when you get used to the car always holding on hills by itself.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 10:19
Supporter

Car: FN3 CTS
My old car had hill start assist and I loved it - if I took my foot off the brake after a couple of seconds the car would roll back. Saying that though it automatically released the brakes as soon as I hit the accelerator (it was a Smart ForTwo). I miss it on my CTS but had no idea it held the brakes after you dump the clutch - that just seems daft!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 13:37

Car: 2012 Civic 2.2ES
Q: Why does the HSA system not release the
brakes when I try to drive off on a slope? I
know from experience that the clutch and
accelerator positions were at the right point to
hold the car on that particular slope.
A: The HSA system will not release the brakes
until it senses that the engine has developed
sufficient torque to drive off. The clutch and
accelerator pedal positions need to travel
further.

Any good??
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 15:08

Car: 2012 2.2 i-DTEC
You might want to get the rear brakes checked by the dealer......... I had similar issues with my HSA, and also fishtailing under heavy braking. It turned out that the rear brakes were binding, and were never fully releasing (also a reason for such poor MPG for the first 1000 miles) Honda dealer sorted the binding out, and now, if you give it enough gas, the brakes release, and away you go................................................ .

However, the fishtailing on mine is still apparent. Honda claim that it is a characteristic of the car since the rear suspension bushes are now fluid filled, but I am not really convinced........ not trying to steal your thread here, but has anyone else experienced the sideways slide under very heavy braking?

Mine is being independently tested tomorrow...... I will keep you posted.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 16:02
1.5 Sport Plus CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggle_478628 View Post
You might want to get the rear brakes checked by the dealer......... I had similar issues with my HSA, and also fishtailing under heavy braking. It turned out that the rear brakes were binding, and were never fully releasing (also a reason for such poor MPG for the first 1000 miles) Honda dealer sorted the binding out, and now, if you give it enough gas, the brakes release, and away you go................................................ .

However, the fishtailing on mine is still apparent. Honda claim that it is a characteristic of the car since the rear suspension bushes are now fluid filled, but I am not really convinced........ not trying to steal your thread here, but has anyone else experienced the sideways slide under very heavy braking?

Mine is being independently tested tomorrow...... I will keep you posted.
What MPG were you getting?

I have the trip computer set to range..... it can change from 400 miles to 450miles in the space of 300 yards.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 17:41 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDA0121 View Post
Q: Why does the HSA system not release the
brakes when I try to drive off on a slope? I
know from experience that the clutch and
accelerator positions were at the right point to
hold the car on that particular slope.
A: The HSA system will not release the brakes
until it senses that the engine has developed
sufficient torque to drive off. The clutch and
accelerator pedal positions need to travel
further.

Any good??
thanks i have tried on a slope today a few times and if i give it more power and bring the reves up it does release straight away.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 22:10
Supporter

Eco display
I never understood why people complained so much about the lack of rear wiper. Just something else to go wrong/replace, you can still see out if its got a bit of water on it and the wing mirrors more than made up for it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11th April 2012, 22:55

Car: 2012 1.8 ES
I must admit that I do actually like having the wiper - and do use it. I alway found it annoying that the 8G didn't have one.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12th April 2012, 00:44
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
I think it would have been better though to have one that parked in a more concealed way, either parked down on the spoiler top or parked at the side of the window hinged from the top like a bus wiper.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12th April 2012, 02:26
shameless

Car: 2007 Spaceship with i-shift
up the window is more areodynamic and if it sat across the window all you lot would be on here complaining that "the wiper blocks my rear view...blah blah blah"
Thanks to Frank Gallagher from:
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12th April 2012, 02:27
shameless

Car: 2007 Spaceship with i-shift
imust admit that the spaceship's rear window doesnt crap up as much as works polo or the old R19

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page