official honda roof rack fitting vs other makes - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10th July 2012, 14:44 Thread Starter

official honda roof rack fitting vs other makes

How does the official honda rack fit on the new civic, from the picture on the honda site it looks like it attaches to some mounts under the rubber strip on the roof:

Do any of the other roofracks fit in this way? From looking at thule ones it seems they use the metal clamps that go round the edge of the roof into the door area. Trying to avoid this method as it seems more likely it will damage the paintwork / door seals, but the honda one is £££££ compared to the normal makes. I wonder who makes Hondas racks for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10th July 2012, 15:33
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
I have the official Honda roof rack on an 8th gen.

Unfortunately it has left foot imprints in the paint on more than 1 occasion even with less than 8KGs on it.

It appears the paint compresses and the marks can be removed by gently heating the paint with a hot air gun afterwards to make it expand (have to get it quite hot but not too hot).

Whether or not that's just my paintwork or generally a problem I can't comment other than to say I had the are resprayed under warranty after the 1st occurrence and its still done it again since.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 21st July 2012, 17:25

I have the Honda roof rack fitted to my 2.2 ES
before they can be fitted the runners have to be cut (the long trim running from from front to back each side) to expose the bolt stubs, basicly 2 x 4" pieces need removing each side. these are covered with plastic clips when not in use. the bases of the rack then get mounted by the long shaped nuts, then the bars get bolted onto these.

I had this done on my old 2.2 Type S -GT as well, the only differance was on the GT, becuse of the Glass roof, the front bars also had clamps that went into the door resess, I assume this will be the same on the 9th Gen as well.
Oh and they are 1cm wider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so they can not be swapped between the 8th and 9th Gen. cars,

I had no problems with bars marking the paint on my old car, the bases were fitted with rubber and just a quick wipe over when removed normaly removed the slight mark the racks made. I never had them on for more than a few days at a time, so dont know what the long term might be if left on for more than that.

I agree they are pricy, but never found any others that fitted. but had the ones for my new car thrown in free with the deal I reached when purchasing.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 29th July 2012, 01:09

Got some Atera roof bars for my 8th gen 2.2 ES with glass roof. So much better than the Honda bars and haven't done any damage to paint either. Clamp type doesn't damage the paint at all an I've tightened them pretty well tight for 4 years now on and off with a whopping great roof box on top too!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 27th August 2012, 21:19

Car: 2009 SE, Polished Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davierj1 View Post
Got some Atera roof bars for my 8th gen 2.2 ES with glass roof. So much better than the Honda bars and haven't done any damage to paint either. Clamp type doesn't damage the paint at all an I've tightened them pretty well tight for 4 years now on and off with a whopping great roof box on top too!
Just used my Atera bars for the first time this weekend on my 8th gen and one foot has left a slight mark on the paintwork

Although, whilst looking at this I noticed there's an area of paint where the door rubber meets the roof that has no laquer on it - trip to the dealer me thinks!

Si

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page