Seeking advice please.... - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th August 2012, 13:14 Thread Starter

Seeking advice please....

Hi all,

On the 9th June 2012 I very happily bought a new Honda Civic 2.2 ES which replaced my Type R (boo hoo)

The car has been a great drive and obviously the increased mpg has been welcome!!

The car has not been without its probs though, the rear windows needed resetting as the control of the windows from the key fob failed. Then the car had to go in to the garage as it was suffering from really noisy wind noise on the drivers side (something I would say Honda openly know about as when we called and described it the garage said "Do you have a new Civic?")

On Sunday as I was reversing to park, the car made a crunching noise, as if I had hit the alloys on the kerb (to the point I stopped and swore!! I like my alloys!!) It was not that and no other probs occured. On Tuesday the car made a knocking noise twice whilst driving.

Last night the wife came in from the shops saying that the cars engine fan was going mental (temp gauge was fine) and the car smelt of burning. She also said that a light had come on, on the dash. When we looked at the manual it said the indicator was for the EPS and recommended that the vehicle was stopped and then restarted and if the light stayed on to contact your dealer. The light went off thank god!!

Today I checked the coolant level and all was good, but the wife was still worried and therefore contacted the dealership. They got her to run the car over to them (about 2 miles from us along "A" roads) When she arrived one of the service assistants met my wife as she pulled up and commented on the smell straight away. They took the car and said they were going to drive it to see if they could recreate the problem.

After 20 mins they came back to my wife and asked if she took her foot off the clutch whilst driving..... They said that although he could smell it when she pulled up at the garage their mechanic could not recreate it to the same point. My wife was obviously upset as she pointed out she had been driving 15 years (longer than me) and had never had a problem with clutch problems with any of our cars (these being a Fiesta, a Focus and three over Civics, one of them being a Type R)

The dealer said that they have looked over the car and can see no mechanical issue with the car and it should be safe to drive. The service assistant has said that he felt embarressed asking about her driving style and understood her frustration. My wife has said to them that if it is a clutch related issue then she would not be paying for any work needed as the car is only 2 and a bit months old and done 3800 miles (most of them being runs from Chichester to Gatwick so not constant stop start driving).

The garage has left it at - take it away and test it and see if it does it again. Can anyone offer any advice on what this could be or what we should do?

Thanks all, you're all always helpful

Trev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th August 2012, 13:52
Supporter

Car: RX-8 R3, Blue
Does the smell occur when you are driving it? Worth also checking the calipers are not binding. The wheel will get hotter than the others. In a new car it is unlikely though.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th August 2012, 14:08
LOUD NOISES!!!

Car: 60 FN2 M200
Sorry, I haven't got any answers but my advice would to be to keep a written record of everthing, time, dates, sound, smells......... may seem like a ball ache at the time but you may need to rely on it in months to come.

Good luck in getting it sorted.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th August 2012, 21:34
Supporter

Car: 2012 2.2 EX GT Crystal Black
Really sorry to read of your problems Trev.
I too recently traded in my Type R of nearly 5 years ( boo boo boo), and treated myself to the EX GT 2.2.
I love it!
Unfair comparison of course, but the quality and refinement of this 8th gen is excellent.
I have no idea exactly what could be the problem, but agree above.
Write down everything you can think of. Speed, gear, number of occupants, everything!!
I have had no problems with any of mine in 10 years of Civic ownership. I hope the trend continues.
Good Luck.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 18th August 2012, 03:22

Car: 2012 2.2 i-DTEC
Sorry to hear that you are having so many issues.

1: The wind noise is a well documented issue, and is centred around the wing mirrors (can affect either side). Honda have a "fix" for this, which is to remove the mirrors, and back with additional foam padding in an attempt to reduce the noise. This was done to my 2.2 EX-GT, and made no difference.

2: The Fan noise after even a short drive is not unusual in my experience, especially with the warmer weather that we have been experiencing lately. For example, after a 30 mile drive home very early wednesday morning, my fan remained on for at least 5 minutes after the car was parked on the drive, and often kicks in during the summer months (used to do this on my old 8th gen 2.2 EX.)

3: The smell::: Check the rear brakes. After just 2 weeks of having mine, I would sometimes notice a burning smell, and narrowed it down to the rear brakes binding. took it to the dealership, and they sorted it (kind of). it did not happen all of the time, and might explain why the honda tech could not re-create the issue. One way I found to ensure that the bind released, would be to reverse slowly, and then apply the handbrake until you stop, and then release the handbrake and start again......... I still get the occasional bind, and my brakes squeel like a piggy, but, at least they don't smell like a burning tyre anymore.

4: The crunching noise, could be the rear brakes binding, as again, this was something that mine did 3 or 4 times before having the rear brakes looked at.

Take the advice of the folks on here. if you notice anything else, document it, including the speed, road type, even the weather conditions......
And best of luck..... despite all of the issues, that I have had, I am still over the moon with my car.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 18th August 2012, 18:23

my 8th gen 2.2 also goes crazy with the fan with very hot weather.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page