genious honda.... ? - Civinfo
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th September 2012, 21:37 Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 17th September 2012
Location: uk GB
Posts: 259
Thanks: 36
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
iTrader: (0)
genious honda.... ?

can some one who owns a new honda (confirm as i suspect) that honda has used a bit of genius and mounted the rear camera in the "shark fin" on the roof ?
I d been looking at mounting one on the roof of my 8 th gen and wondered why no one was offering a sharks fin with one mounted inside being as a rear light level one is about as much use as a kia picante on a formula one track !

Last edited by npg1; 25th September 2012 at 21:39.
npg1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th September 2012, 22:00
 
got2makeSense's Avatar
 
Car: 62 Civic ES
Join Date: 24th September 2012
Location: leicester, uk GB
Posts: 25
Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
I should be able to check on Fri when I pick my new car up as they have an ex gt in the showroom.
got2makeSense is offline  
Thanks to got2makeSense from:
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th September 2012, 23:20
Supporter
 
trilem's Avatar
 
Join Date: 22nd February 2010
Location: Livingston, UK SCOTLAND
Posts: 47
Thanks: 18
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Eco display Eco display
on the ES it's just above the number plate where the handle is, you can see it in the gallery on the Honda site, a small blob about the "C" on the number plate
trilem is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th September 2012, 23:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 17th September 2012
Location: uk GB
Posts: 259
Thanks: 36
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilem View Post
on the ES it's just above the number plate where the handle is, you can see it in the gallery on the Honda site, a small blob about the "C" on the number plate
2012-09-25_2243 - dexter1's library

then whats the shark fin that looks like it has a camera inside for ??? surely not all that just.... for rear widow wash...

Last edited by npg1; 25th September 2012 at 23:52.
npg1 is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th September 2012, 23:51
Supporter
 
Trim89's Avatar
 
Car: 59 Milano R
Join Date: 4th August 2009
Location: Nottingham ENGLAND
Posts: 422
Thanks: 16
Thanked 34 Times in 34 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Washer jet?

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2
Trim89 is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th September 2012, 00:01
LOUD NOISES!!!
 
gadgetman68's Avatar
 
Car: 60 FN2 M200
Join Date: 5th February 2009
Location: Derbyshire, UK ENGLAND
Posts: 5,369
Thanks: 990
Thanked 765 Times in 624 Posts
iTrader: (6)
I'll say washer jet as well
gadgetman68 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th September 2012, 00:16
Supporter
 
trilem's Avatar
 
Join Date: 22nd February 2010
Location: Livingston, UK SCOTLAND
Posts: 47
Thanks: 18
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Eco display Eco display
definitely washer jets, I just went out and looked. On that shot you can just make out a small blob above the "C", that's the camera

Last edited by trilem; 26th September 2012 at 00:18. Reason: fixed typo
trilem is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th September 2012, 00:27 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 17th September 2012
Location: uk GB
Posts: 259
Thanks: 36
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilem View Post
definitely washer jets, I just went out and looked. On that shot you can just make out a small blob above the "C", that's the camera
i take the "genious" honda back then... what a missed oportunity and what an abomination just to house a washer jet ...
npg1 is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th September 2012, 03:53
 
Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
Join Date: 7th July 2012
Location: AUS AU
Posts: 1,073
Thanks: 101
Thanked 94 Times in 83 Posts
iTrader: (0)
On the non EXGT models (that is without moonroof), it is just a plain sharks fin.
Vti07 is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th September 2012, 07:01
Bog
Supporter
 
Bog's Avatar
 
Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Join Date: 5th October 2006
Location: Radlett, Hertfordshire GB
Posts: 6,455
Thanks: 281
Thanked 851 Times in 676 Posts
iTrader: (34)
Eco display
The shark fin is also the GPS antenna on on Sat Nav equipped cars.

Why on earth would the mount the reversing camera in it? The reversing camera is primarily there to help you park, so has a wide angle lens that allows you to see down to the rear bumper and how close you are to cars/objects... Putting it on the shark fin would be pointless as there is still approx 1m of car after it???
Bog is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th September 2012, 09:32 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 17th September 2012
Location: uk GB
Posts: 259
Thanks: 36
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
The shark fin is also the GPS antenna on on Sat Nav equipped cars.

Why on earth would the mount the reversing camera in it? The reversing camera is primarily there to help you park, so has a wide angle lens that allows you to see down to the rear bumper and how close you are to cars/objects... Putting it on the shark fin would be pointless as there is still approx 1m of car after it???
think about it.....

and i ll add,

i couldnt safely drive my motorhome alone without a double camera system, one being used as a constant rear view and the other giving a view of the rear and whats directly behind at bumper level - both displayed on a 7 inch mirror mount screen.. (67 all in)

From experience I know exactly what can be achieved from a camera mounted on a car and a 170 degree lens mounted low at the back that distorts and squeezes the image and relys on a few green and red lines can be improved upon hence my wishing to mount a camera at roof level and able to see exactly where the back end is...

Last edited by npg1; 26th September 2012 at 09:35.
npg1 is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th September 2012, 10:03
Supporter
 
-Mick-'s Avatar
 
Car: '59 MR CTR GT
Join Date: 10th October 2011
Location: Washington ENGLAND
Posts: 231
Thanks: 19
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by npg1 View Post
think about it.....

and i ll add,

i couldnt safely drive my motorhome alone without a double camera system, one being used as a constant rear view and the other giving a view of the rear and whats directly behind at bumper level - both displayed on a 7 inch mirror mount screen.. (67 all in)

From experience I know exactly what can be achieved from a camera mounted on a car and a 170 degree lens mounted low at the back that distorts and squeezes the image and relys on a few green and red lines can be improved upon hence my wishing to mount a camera at roof level and able to see exactly where the back end is...

Er... could you not just look out the back window?
-Mick- is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th September 2012, 10:21
Bog
Supporter
 
Bog's Avatar
 
Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Join Date: 5th October 2006
Location: Radlett, Hertfordshire GB
Posts: 6,455
Thanks: 281
Thanked 851 Times in 676 Posts
iTrader: (34)
Eco display
The Civic's camera is not to bad for getting a good overview of the back of the car...



And can be switched on when going forward if really required.
Bog is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th September 2012, 10:34
Supporter
 
abs-civic's Avatar
 
Car: 2006 2.2 EX, NHB
Join Date: 8th November 2011
Location: Bedfordshire UK GB
Posts: 1,478
Thanks: 130
Thanked 161 Times in 158 Posts
iTrader: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
The Civic's camera is not to bad for getting a good overview of the back of the car...



And can be switched on when going forward if really required.
Looks like a decent picture on that screen, nice headunit too.
abs-civic is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 28th September 2012, 10:43
 
Car: 2012 Civic 2.2ES
Join Date: 28th August 2009
Location: Midlands ENGLAND
Posts: 39
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Its the Aerial for the radio!
HONDA0121 is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 28th September 2012, 21:02
 
electric's Avatar
 
Car: 2017 SR CVT
Join Date: 19th February 2008
Location: London GB
Posts: 429
Thanks: 9
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
iTrader: (0)
On the ES the fin is the new radio aerial and certainly a much better place than in the back window as my old 3G positioned it.

satnav aerials are usually tucked away all over the car, That is why they find the car's location so much faster than a simple Tom Tom on the dash.

I like the way my satnav keeps working in tunnels and in underground car parks it updates when I turn around to go down a different lane in the opposite direction.
electric is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 29th September 2012, 05:52
 
elegance's Avatar
 
Car: 2012 2.2 i-dtec EX GT
Join Date: 20th October 2008
Location: London, UK ENGLAND
Posts: 365
Thanks: 19
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDA0121 View Post
Its the Aerial for the radio!
Indeed! Not rocket science. Steve
elegance is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 29th September 2012, 10:15
Obsessive Modder
 
a.roden's Avatar
 
Car: 2008 1.8 Type S GT
Join Date: 9th April 2012
Location: Wolverhampton ENGLAND
Posts: 2,283
Thanks: 380
Thanked 196 Times in 183 Posts
iTrader: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
On the ES the fin is the new radio aerial and certainly a much better place than in the back window as my old 3G positioned it.

satnav aerials are usually tucked away all over the car, That is why they find the car's location so much faster than a simple Tom Tom on the dash.

I like the way my satnav keeps working in tunnels and in underground car parks it updates when I turn around to go down a different lane in the opposite direction.
Yes the 8th gen sat nav antenna is on a metal bracket just behind the sat nav screen the signal is so much better than a Tom Tom
a.roden is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome