Rave reviews for Civic 1.6 - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 14th February 2013, 18:56 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8 EX GT Man Alabaster
Rave reviews for Civic 1.6

Good reviews for 1.6 diesel beating Ford and Volkswagen for a change.

Rave reviews for Civic 1.6 from What Car? and Top Gear | eNews | News | Honda (UK)
Thank You to Alan2605 from 2 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 07:43
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
I'm hearing the same. This 1.6 lump does seem to have ignited the press. Even Top Gear gave it a cautious thumbs up
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th February 2013, 23:59

I've bought one, its really good, I had a 8th generation 2.2 CDTI before. You don't notice the difference in torque (less)with the new engine. The gearbox is much better, the ride is much improved, it's quieter and visibility is better. It is averaging about 25mpg more than the old car, about 62 mpg about town and over 70mpg on the motorway. I preferred the heater controls on the old car, but that is the only downside Excellent dealer as well (Phoenix Honda Grangemouth)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2013, 22:24
aka Paul

Thanked 1,117 Times in 934 Posts
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2013, 23:34
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plug View Post
I've bought one, its really good, I had a 8th generation 2.2 CDTI before. You don't notice the difference in torque (less)with the new engine. The gearbox is much better, the ride is much improved, it's quieter and visibility is better. It is averaging about 25mpg more than the old car, about 62 mpg about town and over 70mpg on the motorway. I preferred the heater controls on the old car, but that is the only downside Excellent dealer as well (Phoenix Honda Grangemouth)
I just had a card on the new Civic in the post from my local Honda dealer-they are offering to guarantee the motor for 1 million kilometres, that's about 621,000 miles or ten years. I bet Honda UK haven't got around to that yet!

See here :- SAS SPORT AUTO - Concession Honda Lorient - Morbihan
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 02:07
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Not a bad review but certainly not a rave review in my opinion, in fact luke warm positive is what I'd say but at least its positive:

Honda Civic 1.6 i-DTEC driven full road test car review - BBC Top Gear - BBC Top Gear

Quote:
Well, I say enjoyed. Honda claims this new unit is the lightest diesel in the world (it weighs 170kg), but it's certainly not the most refined.

Your operating window is a fairly slender 2,000-4,000rpm, so you'll be working the Civic's thankfully precise six-speed 'box if you want to make any progress. But it'll pull subterranean revs at motorway speeds quietly enough, which is probably a more pertinent test.
Same with MSN, not exactly rave but positive overall:

http://cars.uk.msn.com/reviews/honda...w-2012-onwards

Quote:
With 0-62mph taking 10.5 seconds it’s not gobsmackingly rapid. But with 221lb ft of torque available at just 2,000rpm, it makes effortless progress in day-to-day driving and a relaxing companion on the motorway.
However, we did find first gear surprisingly necessary for slower manoeuvres around town – even with an especially small turbo specifically intended to provide lively low-speed response. Stalling it isn’t exactly an issue, though, since the standard stop-start system catches any clumsiness.
Quote:
It isn’t as engaging as the best Ford can offer in the Focus range – there’s something not quite authentic about the steering weighting – and the latest Volkswagen Group rivals (Golf, A3, Leon) are lighter and more polished overall. Considering it’s other talents, the Civic is still a fine car from behind the wheel.

Last edited by RA108; 3rd March 2013 at 02:13.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 07:25
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
What is it with the journo's and the Golf ?

A colleague at work has just handed back his 3 year old company Golf. Whilst waiting for his new one to arrive they gave him a 2 year old Octavia pool car.

Within 2 days of having the Octavia he has cancelled the Golf as, in his words, "I can't believe how much better the Octavia is over the Golf, better put together, quieter and more pleasant to drive".

He's gone one better and ordered a Superb instead.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 08:22 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2012 1.8 EX GT Man Alabaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post

and for a cheaper price I expect. I had a Seat Leon Cupra R some years back which I preferred to the Golf GTI. It was a lot cheaper and better build quality.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 09:27

Quote:

A colleague at work has just handed back his 3 year old company Golf. Whilst waiting for his new one to arrive they gave him a 2 year old Octavia pool car.

Within 2 days of having the Octavia he has cancelled the Golf as, in his words, "I can't believe how much better the Octavia is over the Golf, better put together, quieter and more pleasant to drive".

I have no idea. If you look in what car and auto express, their reviews all show figures that the civic has higher mpg than the equivalent Golf and then gives the Civic a lower star rating!? Eh? Is their bias so great that they have taken to ignore cold hard black and white evidence? The same goes for storage space and 0-62 times. They tell you the civic has the biggest load capacity in its class and that it's magic seats make loading a doddle and then give it a lower star rating because it isn't a golf.

Obviously everybody here has driven a golf or been in one - they are solid yes, reliable ish, good engines, but overall bland and boring. There's nothing interesting at all. Hence we've all seen beyond the journalist reviews and bought the better car.

Rant over
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2013, 10:34
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Quote:

I have to agree, in my opinion, the Golf is a real train spotters car. Bit Wallace from Wallace and Grommit. It's where you'd find accountants if BMW didn't exist!

Why the Octavia should be better though, I don't know as its built by the same group.

That said, I had a Tiguan for a few weeks, and blandness apart, I have to admit it was superb build quality. Everything just worked and not a single squeak or rattle anywhere.

VW could crush all comers if they just got a bit more adventurous with design and could carry the build quality of the top cars throughout their range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilrights View Post

Obviously everybody here has driven a golf or been in one - they are solid yes, reliable ish, good engines, but overall bland and boring. There's nothing interesting at all. Hence we've all seen beyond the journalist reviews and bought the better car.

Rant over
The Golf's reliability is over rated in my opinion judging on the people I know / have heard of, it seems the weaker car in their range, and they're as bland as bland can be. I'm just surprised they do colours other than beige!

Only thing missing in my opinion is a beige tank top to fit over your car to keep it warm at night!

Last edited by RA108; 3rd March 2013 at 10:37.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page