1.8 auto owners- which cars did you consider prior to buying civic? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th April 2013, 11:38 Thread Starter

Car: 2006 Suzuki Swift 1.3 AMT
1.8 auto owners- which cars did you consider prior to buying civic?

Hi

I need inspiration on what cars to put up against the Civic 1.8 auto.

No French cars
Reliable petrol and or hybrid engine
Bulletproof autobox
High reliability
Pratical for family (pram buggy etc.)

I read that Pottsy would have bought the 9gen over his Merc.

Am I stupid ignoring Kia? Call me old fashioned but I'm really not sure if they are good cars and I have doubts about them honoring warranty. If they do, the 7 year warranty is of course a plus but the Wagon is more expensive than the Civic and I believe Honda reliability and customer satisfaction is better than that of Kia?

Is metallic more durable than pearl colors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th April 2013, 12:43
Type R GT Milano GP Kit

Car: 1997 Nissan Skyline R33
Was looking at Evo X's and 2005+ Subaru WRX STI's either way I was going Jap thought about a Focus ST for about a week.

As much as I liked the Evo and Scooby I'm more than happy with my CTR as has less issues especially compared to the Evo X.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th April 2013, 12:51
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
I looked at the Golf VII but the latest DSG reliability plus the continuing reports about low speed control (parking manoeuvres) put me off.

Octavia is just that bit too big plus has the same or similar DSG.

Both Kia and Hyundai have reviews stating (reading between the lines) that they are good value but you only get what you pay for and for example the SatNav is a bit 'primitive and blocky'.

Being as I wanted a proper torque converter there was only one choice and having now completed my first 1000+ miles I reckon I made the right choice

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th April 2013, 12:54
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8 EX, Black
Garage
Apparently the Ford PowerShift auto box is pretty reliable, or has fewer reported problems then the VW DSGs at least. Maybe look at a Focus, but haven't read up on the reliability of their engines.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th April 2013, 13:39

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
Looked at the Mazda 3 but felt the centre console and door pocket were too wide and cut into usable space for the driver. Noise suppression average. Car drives fine. Besides, it is an old model and getting replaced later this year or next (depending where you are).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th April 2013, 15:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2006 Suzuki Swift 1.3 AMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Both Kia and Hyundai have reviews stating (reading between the lines) that they are good value but you only get what you pay for and for example the SatNav is a bit 'primitive and blocky'.

Being as I wanted a proper torque converter there was only one choice and having now completed my first 1000+ miles I reckon I made the right choice
The Kia Ceed is priced similary to the Civic.

At least in Denmark, the Hyundai I30 GDI comes with a 4 speed torque converter. This is of course "worse" than the 5AT in the Civic.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th April 2013, 23:18
Supporter

Eco display Eco display
I looked at a lot of cars a year ago, but the market has changed since then, new Auris, new A3, new A-Class, new Kia/Hyundai, new Mazda, so the options have changed significantly.

If I was looking today I'd probably be looking hard at the A class, it's expensive though.

The major problem I had at the time was dealers simply didn't have auto demonstrators for test drives, so it was a big improvement when Honda released theirs. (VW & Audi with DSG were the only ones I found)

I liked the Golf, but 1.4 petrol with turbo charge, supercharger and DSG to match Civic the 1.8 made me nervous.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2013, 20:19

Car: 2012 Civic 1.8, White Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeza View Post
Was looking at Evo X's and 2005+ Subaru WRX STI's either way I was going Jap thought about a Focus ST for about a week.

As much as I liked the Evo and Scooby I'm more than happy with my CTR as has less issues especially compared to the Evo X.

Sorry but what issues with the Evo X? I used to roam the evolutionm.net forums when I had my ralliart and I didn't get the expression that there were major issues?

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page