Disappointing mpg - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th April 2013, 17:38 Thread Starter

Disappointing mpg

Hello me and my misis purchased a 1.6 9th gen civ about 3weeks ago and it's are first new car. Everything about the car is great apart from one thing . The mpg is way lower than what we expected,I'm getting 50 around town and 62 on the moterway with cruise control and econ mode on. We've done just over a 1000 so we rang honda and they said give anougther 1000 and if there's no improvement they would look at it. Thing that's annoying me is that we were told by the salesmen that the engine had been broken in before it was fitted to the car.from what I've read on here we should be getting about 60 around town and 70 on the moterway with out trying.does anybody think that honda's fobbing me off or is this normal on some cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th April 2013, 17:46
mmmm bacon

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDi 5 dr, NHB
Every car company out there performs their mpg tests in ideal environments, with the tyres pumped up to maximum, weight stripped out of the car and wing mirrors removed to reduce drag, real world figures are always going to be lower that those speculated by the company when they advertise and sell the car.

Last edited by kebab legs; 20th April 2013 at 17:47. Reason: misspelling
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th April 2013, 17:48

Car: 2007 2.2 ES CTDI
I would say that firstly, the salesman lied to you - Honda do not break engines in before they are fitted and secondly, the engine will still be tight for a good 5000 miles. I would expect your MPG to dramatically improve as you get miles on it.

It's encouraging that Honda are interested enough to want to look at it in a 1000 miles but I would say hang in there and it will get better.

Keep us posted though - we'll all be keen to know how this progresses.

Apart from that, what are your views on the car so far?

Last edited by 41034; 20th April 2013 at 18:00.
Thanks to 41034 from:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th April 2013, 18:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdown130 View Post
I would say that firstly, the salesman lied to you - Honda do not break engines in before they are fitted and secondly, the engine will still be tight for a good 5000 miles. I would expect your MPG to dramatically improve as you get mile on it.

It's encouraging that Honda are interested enough to want to look at it in a 1000 miles but I would say hang in there and it will get better.

Keep us posted though - we'll all be keen to know how this progresses.

Apart from that, what are your views on the car so far?
Will keep you posted, the car itself has been great,imo it looks good and it's a great place to be if you like things to look technical.we did 700 miles in it over the week end and at the end I could of done another 700 it's that comfy. the drive feels much more sporty than some of the reviews had lead me to believe.
Are last car was a feista st and we were looking for a diesel replacement that was as fun to drive.it s just the mpg that's doing my head in

Last edited by bm4pm; 20th April 2013 at 18:10.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th April 2013, 20:01

Lol, 62mpg doing your head in.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th April 2013, 20:33
Supporter

Car: FK2 Type R GT CW
Let the engine get more miles on it first. There are reports and things out saying manufactorers mpg figures are a bit off compared to what you get real world. But I always say economical driving is a very dark art. You have to get used to driving a different way. I can high 50s in my IMA without really trying now. And if I really try can get mid 60s. It took me over a year to learn if you like how to drive to get those sort of figures.
But OP your engine will still be quite tight with just a 1000 or so miles on it. Give it I would say another 4k and if there is no significant improvment then maybe talk to honda about it. But I still think low 60s is still very good.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2013, 10:00
Supporter

Car: RX-8 R3, Blue
It even explains in the manual to take it easy for the first 1000 miles. Unless your car came with 10 000 miles on the clock then it has not been broken in. Once it has then the MPG will rise further.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2013, 10:10
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
I assume you are looking at the 'average' mpg in the iMid?

It doesn't take much town or 'B' road driving to drag that average down.

When I'm on the motorway with my 1.8 auto I can easily get the instant mpg bar to consistently read between 50 and 75 mpg but my 'average' at the moment is 44.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2013, 10:20
Supporter

Car: Civic ES 1.6 iDTEC - Milano
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm4pm View Post
Hello me and my misis purchased a 1.6 9th gen civ about 3weeks ago and it's are first new car. Everything about the car is great apart from one thing . The mpg is way lower than what we expected,I'm getting 50 around town and 62 on the moterway with cruise control and econ mode on. We've done just over a 1000 so we rang honda and they said give anougther 1000 and if there's no improvement they would look at it. Thing that's annoying me is that we were told by the salesmen that the engine had been broken in before it was fitted to the car.from what I've read on here we should be getting about 60 around town and 70 on the moterway with out trying.does anybody think that honda's fobbing me off or is this normal on some cars.
What is your route that's getting you 50mpg?
For reference mine has done approx 1500 miles and i am getting the following averages (tank wasn't brimmed in all cases, mpg taken from fuel computer only);
Tank 1 - 65 (mixed routes, 60% urban commute)
Tank 2 - 68 (mixed incl. numerous motorway journeys)
Tank 3 - 62 (fully urban commutes)
Tank 4 - 53 (Fast motorway (85mph+ press on))

The best i have seen is around 72 on a long motorway leg cruise & econ with uninterrupted traffic flow. I would estimate that a 55-60mph cruise could give near to 80mpg.

I would say 62 on the motorway is pretty normal given an average driving style/terrain etc.
Your 50mpg urban figure does seem low, worst i get is around 60. Is it very short running (e.g. <10mins/cold start), this could explain it to some extent.

I have found the engine to loosen up quite a lot already. Agree with your comments on its drivability. Cruising at 90 not a problem and 2nd/3rd gear acceleration very progressive and useable.

The latest motorway figure was en route to see the guys at Donington for the BTCC...we were late leaving home!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2013, 11:02
Supporter

Car: RX-8 R3, Blue
On a private road I assume...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2013, 15:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerDave View Post
What is your route that's getting you 50mpg?
For reference mine has done approx 1500 miles and i am getting the following averages (tank wasn't brimmed in all cases, mpg taken from fuel computer only);
Tank 1 - 65 (mixed routes, 60% urban commute)
Tank 2 - 68 (mixed incl. numerous motorway journeys)
Tank 3 - 62 (fully urban commutes)
Tank 4 - 53 (Fast motorway (85mph+ press on))

The best i have seen is around 72 on a long motorway leg cruise & econ with uninterrupted traffic flow. I would estimate that a 55-60mph cruise could give near to 80mpg.

I would say 62 on the motorway is pretty normal given an average driving style/terrain etc.
Your 50mpg urban figure does seem low, worst i get is around 60. Is it very short running (e.g. <10mins/cold start), this could explain it to some extent.

I have found the engine to loosen up quite a lot already. Agree with your comments on its drivability. Cruising at 90 not a problem and 2nd/3rd gear acceleration very progressive and useable.

The latest motorway figure was en route to see the guys at Donington for the BTCC...we were late leaving home!
Hi trip a was set 50 miles ago and is reading 47 mpg:/, that's all town driving trying to drive economically . On a moterway cruise doing 70 with cruise control on and econ mode we got just over 60. I now that's not bad but I've read people on here saying they've been getting 60 mpg around town which is very frustrating.it is way down on what we should be getting even as new. We've been trying are best to get the mpg up and it's starting to get very teadeous.i think I'm just gona switch the trip of and just enjoy the car.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2013, 16:22

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm4pm View Post
Hi trip a was set 50 miles ago and is reading 47 mpg:/, that's all town driving trying to drive economically . On a moterway cruise doing 70 with cruise control on and econ mode we got just over 60. I now that's not bad but I've read people on here saying they've been getting 60 mpg around town which is very frustrating.it is way down on what we should be getting even as new. We've been trying are best to get the mpg up and it's starting to get very teadeous.i think I'm just gona switch the trip of and just enjoy the car.
What is 'driving around town'? Driving circumstances in real life are impossible to replicate by anyone else.
The mpg figures manufacturers supply are only an indication AND comparison between different models but are NOT what you should expect in real life. You should just drive the car and enjoy it more. If i want good mpg in my 1.8 petrol, i'll drive 60-65 on the motorway and that makes a big difference. Driving in town with lots of start/stop and i assume also a lot of cold starts will kill the mpg, even on a diesel eco block like the 1.6.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page