Want a Civic- but Jazz more practical... - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st May 2013, 21:13 Thread Starter

Car: 2006 Suzuki Swift 1.3 AMT
Want a Civic- but Jazz more practical...

First, let me start by thanking everybody who has contributed to my threads here on this forum. I know I have asked a lot of question and put people's patience to the test.

As some of you may know, my next car (which I will probably get very soon now- yes, the administrative paperwork from my municipality has almost been taken care of) will be a car for a disabled driver (me).

We have a son (14 months old) so we need a car that is very practical as a family car (pram, buggy etc.) and my crutches and holiday packing.

Thing is, as much as I like the Civic, due to back problems, the car has to have easy entrance and load height.

I really want the Civic but I tried the Jazz, and while physically smaller than the Civic, it actually is easier for me to enter and has more leg room for back seat passengers. Hard to believe but it shows that Honda can really make a practical, spacious mini MPV.

A couple of gripes I have with the Civic:

Really have to "go down low", sorry for the bad choice of words here, in order to enter it and when I pump up the seat to where I'd like it be be, I have quite a bit of the sun visor in my line of sight. Lowering the height of the seat helps but then I would probably have to pump it back up before getting out of the car.

On the plus side, the Civic feels nicer then the Jazz and our pram fits in the boot (just!) with backseats ups. Needless to say, the boggy fits in there as well as it's smaller.

With the Jazz, the pram doesn't fit except if the 60:40 backseats are flipped down, which means we won't be able to carry as many passengers with the pram in the car. Not Sure if boggy goes in the boot without lowering seats.

The Jazz is slower too but I can get a top spec A LOT cheaper than the "Sport" Civic. Furthermore, I'm on unemployment benefit which is about to run out.

Anyone here with bad back/legs and 6 feet tall driving the Civic. Or any at the height at all. What do think about the sun visor being in the line of sight?

Hearts says Civic, wallet and logic says Jazz or an MPV.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st May 2013, 21:35
Supporter

Car: 2017 Jazz 1.3 SE CVT
Garage
I test drove a Jazz recently - it was actually a courtesy car whilst my Civic was in for service.

I think that the Jazz was designed with practicality in mind. The Civic was very much a concept car that actually found its way into production. Its futuristic styling did lead to quite a few compromises as regards practicality. It's very far from being the easiest car to park and access for larger rear seat passengers can be problematical.

If I had any mobility issues, I really think I would choose the Jazz over the Civic. It's an easier car to live with in many ways.

Which magazine recently tested the Jazz along with a few other similar cars - what emerged from that was that it was Which subscribers favourite car by a country mile.

I love the Civic but as I am now a pensioner my next car may verywell be a Jazz.

Last edited by Peteo48; 31st May 2013 at 21:36. Reason: typo
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st May 2013, 21:35
JPP

Car: 2008 2.2 EX Nighthawk Black
To be honest with you mate I'm 6' 1" and have never had any problems with the sun visor being in my vision or getting in and out of the car. My mum on the other hand has bad legs and she finds my civic quite low and awkward to enter and exit. But having driven both vehicles the civic wins hands down any day.....Hope this bit of info is any good to you matey...

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 31st May 2013, 23:01

Car: 2013 1.8ES Black
Never been in a Jazz but have to agree that the Civic can be awkward to get into. Took me a long time to master getting in without banging my head and still occasionally do.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 00:56
Supporter

Car: RX-8 R3, Blue
The Jazz seems to be Hondas top car recently. Although I prefer the Civic.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 01:05
Dr. Evil

Have you thought about the CRV? The Jazz is a nice enough little car, but I think you'll struggle with prams etc., the boot space isn't great.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 03:57

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
Have driven the Jazz and corresponding sedan version (City) as a dealer courtesy car in the past. Suprisingly, there appears to be more leg room in the back. And of course, due to the extra car height, the sunvisor will unlikely obscure your view. Even though the car is 40 cm shorter (than the Civic hatch), it appears to make very efficient use of it's space. Downsides would be it's narrower and the car is a bit slow due to the smaller engine. If you get the auto, you must get the 1.5L not the 1.3L. As with the Civic, not everyone 6ft tall and over will have issues with the sunvisor as some people might have longer legs but shorter torso section. If you are really interested in the Jazz, I suggest you wait a bit longer as a new model is coming. You can then make comparisons to decide which one is better for you. In regards to rear passenger leg room, the Civic sedan has significantly more leg room than either the Civic hatch or the Jazz. However, a sedan is less pratical (no magic seats) and it is not sold in Europe any more AFAIK. Previous shape sedan sold in the UK (at least) as Civic Hybrid.

Last edited by Vti07; 1st June 2013 at 04:02.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 03:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delberthot View Post
Never been in a Jazz but have to agree that the Civic can be awkward to get into. Took me a long time to master getting in without banging my head and still occasionally do.
In my case I don't bang my head anymore but always brush against the rubber door seal.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 08:46
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8 EX GT Man Alabaster
We had a top spec Jazz for 3 years and really enjoyed it. I'm disabled and never found any problems with the car. It even got the wheel chair in with ease. It just needed a bigger engine. We have the Civic now, with the extra power, but I do notice access is the main thing that lets it down.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 09:03 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy View Post
Have you thought about the CRV?
Way to expensive in Denmark, it is not an option. Even a Civic will mean 'll have to shell out quite a bit of cash myself, whereas if I get a new Jazz it'll be a lot less "painful" for my bank account to pay the difference between the loan from my municipality and the price of a new Jazz. If I get a demo Jazz with 4,000 miles on the clock, I can get a top specced "Elegance" without having to pay anything extra myself.

Vti07: agree about legroom in the Jazz- amazing that it has considerably more than the larger Civic. Access is a bit easier then the Civic too. The Jazz, furthermore, has 399 liters of boot space compared to the 475 in the Civic. Not a lot between them. Jazz is a bit slow indeed (engine with auto CVT is 1.4 I-Vtec) with 13 secs to 62 but the Civic is 11,2 seconds with the auto which I need, so I don't know if the 1.8 difference really counts in everyday driving.
I originally wanted a car more powerful than the Swift, which the Civic is (but not by much if you do the power/weight ratio and 0-62 Kg/second).
My guess is the Civic holds up better when fully loaded (although this happens seldom. The Jazz is more economical though with 50.8 compared to the 44 mpg of the Civic.

I know a new model Jazz is coming, however, I cannot/will not wait for it as our family really needs a new five door and more boot space compared to the Swift in order to make life easier.

The Civic is just such a comfortable cruiser- so quiet and refined. The Jazz less so.

Last edited by nicolaidenmark; 1st June 2013 at 09:20.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 10:21

In Australia we get the 1.3L 73Kw and the 1.5L 88Kw option with 5AT or 5MT. The CVT is reserved for the just released 1.3L Hybrid. Just like the Civic, we miss out on high spec luxury versions. I notice that the UK use the 1.2 L and 1.4 L engines. I wonder why there are so many engine variants? Must be for CO2 emissions limits. As for rear passenger accomodation IIRC, the first generation Jazz (a somewhat smaller car), had a great feature whereby the rear seat could slide forwards or backwards to adjust the balance of boot space/rear passenger room (still retaining the Magic Seat function). If they had retained that feature for the current model then it would have been even more versatile.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vti07 View Post
In Australia we get the 1.3L 73Kw and the 1.5L 88Kw option with 5AT or 5MT. The CVT is reserved for the just released 1.3L Hybrid. Just like the Civic, we miss out on high spec luxury versions. I notice that the UK use the 1.2 L and 1.4 L engines. I wonder why there are so many engine variants? Must be for CO2 emissions limits. As for rear passenger accomodation IIRC, the first generation Jazz (a somewhat smaller car), had a great feature whereby the rear seat could slide forwards or backwards to adjust the balance of boot space/rear passenger room (still retaining the Magic Seat function). If they had retained that feature for the current model then it would have been even more versatile.
I've managed to find a 0-100km/h time for the 1.5L 5AT Jazz. It is 11.6 seconds . (9.5 seconds for 5MT).
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 13:15
gmp

Exclamation new jazz coming

interested in comments about a new jazz coming,will that include the uk and what will it look like!I had read about an estate version available elsewhere than uk,but will the 'new jazz' only be a makeover of the current model - any photos will be appreciated.thanks
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 14:41
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8, MT
I test drove Jazz 1.2 and found it terribly slow (I was considering 1.4, but they didn't have one available for tests). It just didn't go at all. However, even the engine apart, IMHO there's a huge gap between a Jazz and a Civic in terms of comfort and overall refinement. The Civic feels much more stable and safer too.

Last edited by MikePL; 2nd June 2013 at 11:04.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 18:37

Car: Civic Sport Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vti07 View Post
In regards to rear passenger leg room, the Civic sedan has significantly more leg room than either the Civic hatch or the Jazz. However, a sedan is less pratical (no magic seats) and it is not sold in Europe any more AFAIK. Previous shape sedan sold in the UK (at least) as Civic Hybrid.
Civic sedan is still sold in some parts of Europe.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 20:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcivic View Post
Civic sedan is still sold in some parts of Europe.
But not in Denmark. The 1.2 Jazz has the same 0-60 time as my swift. The Civic will be only 1.3 seconds quicker.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 21:46
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
The Jazz is a horrible little car. Cheap feeling interior, noisy and gutless - I had one as a courtesy car. It's not a patch on the Civic. It is what it is, a cheap bottom of the range car.

Having said all of the above, the Jazz is a far better purchase for you. It's got softer suspension, is higher, more economical and cheaper to run.

Personally, I think given your circumstances a Jazz is the way to go if going with Honda and with a small cheap car.

If not, maybe an Insight may work for you. Still not high performance but cheaper to run than a normal car of that size, higher than a Civic, more room etc.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st June 2013, 21:54
Supporter

Car: 58 2.2, Black ; 09 CTR, Red
The Jazz is a horrible thing. Had to drive one once as a courtesy car and all I can say is never again!

In fact, last time I was offered one for free as a courtesy car I refused to accept it and waited 3 hours instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2013, 02:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmp View Post
interested in comments about a new jazz coming,will that include the uk and what will it look like!I had read about an estate version available elsewhere than uk,but will the 'new jazz' only be a makeover of the current model - any photos will be appreciated.thanks
The new Jazz will be officially revealed in November at the Tokyo motor show. Launch will be early 2014 for most markets. I can't seem to locate any spy shots but there is expected to be a 1.5L diesel engine introduced with the new model.
In regards to the estate version you are probably referring to the upcoming Civic estate to be built in the UK. There is also the Jazz based SUV (the Urban) which is also coming which you might interested in.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2013, 02:51

The Jazz is not a horrible little car. I've driven a 1.5L 88kw version (not available in some countries) and it was fine (comparing it to cars in the same class). Technically, the Jazz is not the bottom of the Honda range, that role is fulfilled by the Brio (introduced in 2011) sold in some markets, like India, Thailand, Indonesia, South Africa. It will be a matter of time before this car is introduced to the wider market. Think of it as Sukuzi Alto, VW Up! size.

Last edited by Vti07; 2nd June 2013 at 02:55.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > General Discussion (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page